Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  02:12:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A nice guy but mentally ill?
The man charged with gunning down a Kansas abortion doctor was described Monday as a mentally ill extremist who believed in "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."

The ex-wife of 51-year-old Scott Roeder said while he never thought of himself as mentally ill, "everyone else did."

"His anti-abortion rhetoric was very strong," said Lindsey Roeder, who filed for divorce in 1996 after a 10-year marriage. "It scared me," she told the Topeka Capital-Journal.

The suspect's brother, David Roeder, said his family always saw "Scott as a kind and loving son, brother and father who suffered from mental illness."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/06/02/2009-06-02_suspect_in_slay_of_abort_docs_crazy_ex_says.html#ixzz0HGIXcYST&B
That the guy is stark, raving mad is obvious; it goes with the territory. But I wonder if that'll make for an effective insanity defense in this case. I also wonder about how Terry's Terrorists will act during the trial of their hero.

Welcome to SFN kemibe!

Edited to add this: Terry crawfishes, sort of, and it's all about an order of chicken wings anyway.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/02/2009 02:24:57
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  04:28:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by kemibe

People make me sick sometimes.
Hey, look at that! You can summon kemibe by linking to his blog three times while looking in a mirror.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  04:55:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

"I just made a modest donation…"
Me too

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

kemibe

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  05:43:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit kemibe's Homepage Send kemibe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I plan to stick around. I was negligent in not posting here earlier. I've been too busy making Xtranormal videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/kemibe). Plus my dog just farted...Jesus Christ, that's awful.
Edited by - kemibe on 06/02/2009 05:45:23
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  05:55:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hey, I plan to stick around. I was negligent in not posting here earlier. I've been too busy making Xtranormal videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/kemibe).
And moving your blog. You should probably switch your hompage link in your SFN profile.

Looks like HalfMooner has caught the Xtranormal bug.
Plus my dog just farted...Jesus Christ, that's awful.
Yeah, every once-in-a-while my dog would fart, then get a disgusted look on his face. That was my cue to leave the room.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  09:09:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, kemibe!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  10:17:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting with Joshua Rosenau's "Too Many Martyrs," I got to hilzoy's "Dr. George Tiller" and then onto his later blogs, "Operation Rescue" (which links to a 2004 Rolling Stones article, "One Man's God Squad"), "Terror Should Not Pay," "In Which I Disagree With Megan McArdle" and "In Which I Disagree With Megan McArdle Some More." It's all well-written.

Hey, and publius brings up McArdle's mention of John Brown!

PZ is right to warn people about reading Gingi Edmonds' blog from yesterday. To her, abortion is murder, and so Tiller deserved execution.

And look: kemibe's got a new post up with video from Randall Terry.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  14:00:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A contradiction in terms: Randall Terry's family values:
Gee, Randall Terry's adopted children, including a gay son — and daughter who had a child out of wedlock — are conspicuously missing from his campaign web site photo as he runs for a state senate seat in FL. (365gay):
I found the comments of particular interest -- I had forgotten that Terry was a used car dealer at one time and is currently running for a State Senate seat in FL. Fancy that; a terrorist in state government....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  14:45:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

A contradiction in terms: Randall Terry's family values:
Gee, Randall Terry's adopted children, including a gay son — and daughter who had a child out of wedlock — are conspicuously missing from his campaign web site photo as he runs for a state senate seat in FL. (365gay):
I found the comments of particular interest -- I had forgotten that Terry was a used car dealer at one time and is currently running for a State Senate seat in FL. Fancy that; a terrorist in state government....

Randall Terry is a real piece of work. But I suspect that right now he is a happy piece of work. He has had more media attention in the last few weeks than he has received in years. This assassination coming right on the heals of his arrest at Notre Dame has put a spotlight on him that I'm sure he is thoroughly enjoying. And I don't see a way out of reporting his statements and actions. He does represent a more militant arm of Operation Rescue, even if he is not officially a part of the organization anymore. (It's complicated.) The fact is, he still claims that the OR brand belongs to him. He is newsworthy.

But what a pile of steaming horse shit he is. If the media does their job, they can take him down. Here's to hoping that they start looking for the dirt. There's a lot of it.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  21:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

People make me sick sometimes. I have no other insights than that.

Well, maybe a few: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF-DTNSCg0A

Man; Did Stephen Hawkins sound pissed-off!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  21:42:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

People make me sick sometimes. I have no other insights than that.

Well, maybe a few: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF-DTNSCg0A

Man; Did Stephen Hawkins sound pissed-off!
He was so outraged, he couldn't sit down.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  05:09:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It ain't all just Randall the Terrorist; he's only one of the turds floating at the top of the OR cesspool. There are many more deeper down, each as deserving of contempt and a public flogging as the next.
Let's take a closer look at good ol' Operation Rescue, that funsy life-lovin' group of caring, deeply respectful religious angels that cherishes all that is good and worthy:

Here's an article on the kinds of things other than assassination attempts, vandalism, and break-ins that Dr. Tiller and his staff have had to endure for years. It's about Troy Newman, the head of Operation Rescue (once Operation Rescue West; the group split), who moved to Wichita in order to shut George Tiller's clinic down:
So I ask: how the hell do they get away with these blatant acts of suppression and, again, terrorism. Have they paid off some venial cops/judges/politicos? I dunno. I further dunno how they keep from getting shot, which might well would be my own, first reaction to the vicious harassment they deal out.

Thinking about it, it seems that the public spotlight is now focused on Operation Rescue. I'm sure they welcome this, but will it be to their advantage? As the case progresses, more and more their heinous, anti-social acts against innocent people will come into that light for all to see. I could be wrong, but I think common decency reigns throughout the American, general public, even those who are opposed to abortion. OR just might be beginning to dig their own grave. Which would work out well for them -- most vermiformis hate the light.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:08:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Gingi Edmonds' blog on Tiller:
But I can't help but note - and my history is rusty so pardon me here - I'm trying to remember, did anyone mourn Lee Harvey Oswald when Jack Ruby gunned him down? Or better yet, did anyone mourn the deaths of Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer, or any other mass murderer for that matter? Even according to the harebrained pro-choice life-at-viability reckoning, Tiller was indisputably a mass murderer who was executed in a fashion far more humane than the tens of thousands of children that he mutilated and left to die in cuddle session bassinets.

I mean, think about it. Someone just shot a Nazi guard manning the gas chamber at Aushwitz. I should feel bad about this?
Could this sentiment be any more basely human, and any less divinely inspired? Of course we should feel bad when anyone dies, because everyone has something unique and redeemable about them. We can and do all the time kill people out of a sense of necessity while at the same time mourning the loss of that which was good about them.

If someone did something unimaginably horrible to me, I probably would feel some satisfaction and no sadness when they died, but I also would consider such a reaction part of my being a flawed human being, limited by my own personal experiences and emotions. This woman's sense of ultimate morality is pathetic.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:16:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to waste my time going through all the inconsistencies in Edmonds's article, but I will point out this one glaring one:
It is ultimately tragic that Tiller did not have an opportunity to properly prepare his soul to face his Maker. Unless some miracle happened, he left this life with his hands drenched with innocent blood.

The man chose his fate the moment he dismembered his first infant.

So which is it Gingi? Did he choose his fate when he started his work as an abortion doctor or was his fate only sealed after his death?

Idiot.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:33:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Could this sentiment be any more basely human, and any less divinely inspired?
Just goes to show how little that "pro-life" person actually values human lives, don't it? Obviously, to her, bad people aren't worthy.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.