New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

knightmare

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  08:09:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send knightmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found these written in an old notebook of mine.

"For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain."
-Gene Roddenberry

What is it the the New Testament teaches us? To believe that the Almighty committed debauchery with a woman engaged to be married; and the belief of this debauchery is called faith."
-Thomas Paine

I'm sure I've got more written down in other notebooks boxed up around the house. Growing up, I was always collecting interesting quotes and rarely tossed anything in the trash (a trait I inherited from my dad and grandpa).

Laters
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  10:49:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand. ~~ Karl Marx

And:

Anyone who knows anything of history knows that great social changes are impossible without feminine upheaval. Social progress can be measured exactly by the social position of the fair sex, the ugly ones included. ~~ Karl Marx

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  12:17:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"All laws defining and punishing blasphemy — making it a crime to give your honest ideas about the Bible, or to laugh at the ignorance of the ancient Jews, or to enjoy yourself on the Sabbath, or to give your opinion of Jehovah, were passed by impudent bigots, and should be at once repealed by honest men. An infinite God ought to be able to protect himself, without going in partnership with State Legislatures."

Robert G. Ingersoll-1879

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  17:51:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If you want to have sex, the kids will have to leave. If you want it to be good, then you will have to leave. ~~ Al Bundy

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  19:00:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The policeman isn't there to create disorder; the policeman is there to preserve disorder.

-Richard J. Daley (Da Mayor)

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  19:36:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As quoted by Karl Kassel on NPR's "Wait Wait"

Freudian slip by Mayor Daley there?

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  06:23:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by @tomic

There's always the ever-popular, and ironic, anti-quote quote:

I always have a quotation for everything – it saves original thinking.
(Dorothy L. Sayers)

And of course, this whole page:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Quotations

Ah, the irony of the anti-quote quote!

@

Many people like quotes because they are similar lines of thoughts as one´s own, but better worded!

Cheers!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  06:36:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by jakesteele

GOD is DOG spelled backwards

Revenge Of The Nerds II? hehehehe!

Said by that hairy jock who was cast-away with them

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  13:13:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think that on the balance the moral influence of religion has been awful. With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil. But for good people to do evil -- that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  07:56:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A sincere diplomat is like dry water or wooden iron. ~~ Joseph Stalin

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  08:53:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

"As we know, There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know There are known unknowns. That is to say We know there are some things We do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, The ones we don't know We don't know. " - Donald Rumsfeld

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  10:56:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by astropin
"As we know, There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know There are known unknowns. That is to say We know there are some things We do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, The ones we don't know We don't know. " - Donald Rumsfeld

So wouldnt that make unknown unkowns, known unknown unknowns, since we know that we don't know that we don't know them?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  19:43:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
France will only be free when the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. Voltaire

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  21:33:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Trish

France will only be free when the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. Voltaire
Damn. The priests have outlived the kings by centuries. Typical.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  03:01:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. ~~ Bertrand Russell

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.