Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  02:34:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When the Nazis came for the communists, I remained silent; I was not a communist. When they locked up the social democrats, I remained silent; I was not a social democrat. When they came for the trade unionists, I did not speak out; I was not a trade unionist. When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out.
~~ Reverend Martin Niemoeller

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

AnthroGeek

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  10:03:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AnthroGeek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say that there is some great quotes out there, but some fantastic ones have been brewed up by you folks here at SFN.

I have been a lurker for a bit of time now and I have to say one of the best quotes I have seen in awhile - at least in that it made me shoot beer out of my nose when I first read it- was from Filthy in another thread.

Filthy:
From the dawn of sapience, philosophers have been full of shit and the skeptic has been their Gallipoli.

In fact, I think I might just add that to my regular email signature.

A series of fun one-liners about various pseudoscientific claims and, even better, a concise description of the scientific method - Ken Feder on Skeptic Friends Network from "Frauds, Myths and Mysteries"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  10:42:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by AnthroGeek

I have to say that there is some great quotes out there, but some fantastic ones have been brewed up by you folks here at SFN.

I have been a lurker for a bit of time now and I have to say one of the best quotes I have seen in awhile - at least in that it made me shoot beer out of my nose when I first read it- was from Filthy in another thread.

Filthy:
From the dawn of sapience, philosophers have been full of shit and the skeptic has been their Gallipoli.

Welcome to (posting at) SFN, AnthroGeek! Yup. Filthy's a fountain of trenchant prose. He's penned many a memorable line.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  10:47:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by AnthroGeek

Filthy:

Modesty forbids comment, but welcome to SFN, AnthroGeek!

Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color. ~~
Don Hirschberg

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  11:01:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know."

- Robert Ingersoll

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page

AnthroGeek

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  11:18:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AnthroGeek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome.

Although more of a small passage than a quotable line, I still like the wit and truth of it.

"Where is that Goshen of mediocrity in which a smattering of science and learning will pass for profound instruction, where platitudes will be accepted as wisdom, bigoted narrowness as holy zeal, unctuous egoism as God-given piety? Let such a man become an evangelical preacher..."-Mary Ann Evans (aka George Eliot) from Evangelical Teaching

A series of fun one-liners about various pseudoscientific claims and, even better, a concise description of the scientific method - Ken Feder on Skeptic Friends Network from "Frauds, Myths and Mysteries"
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  11:22:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a great quote indeed.

And Welcome AnthroGeek!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

jakesteele

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  12:05:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jakesteele a Private Message  Reply with Quote
God cheats when he plays dice with the Universe

Today's cutting edge is tomorrow's dull blade

The Buddha made of stone deserves all the bird shit that lands on it

A dog cannot be a hypocrite, but neither can he be sincere

“There are many here amongst us who feel that life is but a joke.”
Dylan

Occam's Beard – The simplest solution isn't always the best.

In the insane society the sane man must act insane
Mr. Spock

The only thing I know for sure is that I don't know anything for sure

There really was a man from Nantucket

Beware of the person who believes in their own sincerity

The Universe is the Field of Infinite Possibilites;
But it ain't no milk run
And it ain't no weenie roast!

You can't be more honest with someone than they are willing to be with themselves

Honesty means different things to different people
Spiro T. Agnew

Man needs religion like a hooker needs a used rubber

In the wrong head brains can be dangerous

Fundamentalists are scary;
Angry Fundamentalists are really scary

Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope
The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

I know there is “GOD”
I just don't believe it

Phuck is a five letter word

Behind every simple truth lies an enormous complexity

Just because you get more votes doesn't necessarily mean you're going to win

Don't become more popular than the King unless you are prepared to kill him

Don't kill the King unless you have a replacement

With an anguished voice I cried out to God, “Why?”
God shrugged “his shoulders” and replied, “Why not?”

“If man were meant to be circumcised he would have been born without a foreskin."
Jesus

Linus sucks

GOD is DOG spelled backwards

Power comes from the end of a gun barrel
Chairman Mao

History is written in blood, not ink

Whoever said you couldn't get laid and enlightened at the same time was full of shit

Good spirituality begins with healthy emotionality

Don't do the right things for the wrong reason

“We found out right away that we could make more money from dice that were “square” that we could from dice that weren't “square”
Lefty Rosenthal

Prostitution is not the oldest profession in the world…selling is

“I love the smell of napalm in the morning.”
Apocalypse Now

People that are attracted to cults are dissatisfied with their lives and have no clear sense of self

It is very difficult to walk away from a belief system that one was raised in

In all wars God is victorious

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hamburgers
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  12:37:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quite a collection Jask!

Welcome on the fora!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  12:38:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Skeptic Friends Network, jakesteele, and thanks for the little gems!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  13:04:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise. ~~ Proverbs (ch. VI, v. 6)

Welcome to SFN jakesteele!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  23:19:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some very funny (to me at least) deliberately pseudo-intellectual nonsense quotes by John G. Fuller, from "Wisdom to Live By" in the 1961 edition of Harvey Kurtzman's Help! Magazine:

"Ideology is to genuine sensitivity as reflections are to capabilities."

"The dark night of the soul follows neither instruction nor the sentient adult."

"In the survival of caprice lies the perfection of uniformity."

"He is less remote from censure who finds the pain of little ignorance."

"Wisdom suffers only when triumph meets conviction."

"Prevention in no way alters the absolutes without which accomplishment cannot succeed."

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  23:54:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few quotes from Moon over Morocco,
The hand, without fingers, would be a spoon.

If the King, at midday, says it is night: behold the stars!

He who burns his lips on milk, blows on ice cream.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  02:42:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master. ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  06:43:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

Some very funny (to me at least) deliberately pseudo-intellectual nonsense quotes by John G. Fuller, from "Wisdom to Live By" in the 1961 edition of Harvey Kurtzman's Help! Magazine:

"Ideology is to genuine sensitivity as reflections are to capabilities."

"The dark night of the soul follows neither instruction nor the sentient adult."

"In the survival of caprice lies the perfection of uniformity."

"He is less remote from censure who finds the pain of little ignorance."

"Wisdom suffers only when triumph meets conviction."

"Prevention in no way alters the absolutes without which accomplishment cannot succeed."

Along the same lines, the Random Dr. Phil Quote Generator:

You don't need sideburns to throw a brick at a turtle.

You don't need to feel good to dare to be stupid.

You don't need Cat Scratch Fever to live in Alabama.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.