Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  10:50:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by pleco

Yes, and AdBlock shows ###contentads as the blocked attribute.
Dangit. "contentnoads" might suffer from the same problem, then. Gotta re-do the whole site.

Edited to add that I've just installed AdBlock Plus, myself, and yeah, it kills 95% of my site, which may explain, partly, my high bounce rate and low average time-on-site.
Well, looks like Myoss Gamma has already paid off for you!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  11:30:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Yes, and AdBlock shows ###contentads as the blocked attribute.
Dangit. "contentnoads" might suffer from the same problem, then. Gotta re-do the whole site.

Edited to add that I've just installed AdBlock Plus, myself, and yeah, it kills 95% of my site, which may explain, partly, my high bounce rate and low average time-on-site.

Do your also run any script on your site? You might want to get NoScript for FireFox and see if it might causes issues as well.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  12:53:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Well, looks like Myoss Gamma has already paid off for you!
Well, no, the changes I made won't get around AdBlock, they'll just let people who run AdBlock see the real content. They still won't see the ads. Which is fine.

Do your also run any script on your site? You might want to get NoScript for FireFox and see if it might causes issues as well.
Yeah, I already knew that NoScript is breaking my bust-out-of-frames script and my Google Analytics stuff, but... oh, well. Eventually, I'll get around to comparing the Analytics data to the raw logs, and that'll give me an estimate of the percentage of my visitors who are running NoScript.

Oh, and I plan on putting up a javascript game with a psoriasis theme, but NoScript users ought to see a message about that.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  22:26:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, the section on shields has been rewritten.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  13:03:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I'm trying to build a submarine. You know, huge cloaking, devastating weaponry, good propulsion and computing; meager comms, sensors, space, crew, shields, etc.

Looks like 500c isn't enough to make my kind of submarine. Perhaps I'll only focus on the cloaking....
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  23:05:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Ok, so I'm trying to build a submarine. You know, huge cloaking, devastating weaponry, good propulsion and computing; meager comms, sensors, space, crew, shields, etc.

Looks like 500c isn't enough to make my kind of submarine. Perhaps I'll only focus on the cloaking....
I've found that to be typical for these sorts of games. You think to yourself, "okay, this will be way cool," and then the pricetag or space limitations bite you in the butt.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  00:26:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm being hindered so far by not being able to get my printer working. I really need a hard copy of this stuff. I may go into the building's computer room tomorrow and print the rules out there, instead.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  19:17:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mean to be a nag...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  19:33:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so we got a max cost, is there anything else to be decided (other than turn order) to get started? I should be posting my ship in the next day or two (or is it better to keep that secret till we've started?)

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  20:16:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Ok, so we got a max cost, is there anything else to be decided (other than turn order) to get started?
No.
I should be posting my ship in the next day or two (or is it better to keep that secret till we've started?)
Ideally, everyone would reveal their ships at the same time. But really, with what we've got going here, only the last person to reveal has an advantage.

And I spoke earlier of rules changes to cope with playing in the forum. Really, the only change is that every choice that is reserved for a targeted ship's player should be made instead by the attacker, but it should be made in the targeted player's favor. This change is in the interest of game flow.

For example, if you, me and Mooner are playing, in that order, and you, Ricky, attack Mooner's ship, and wind up in a situation in which Mooner would choose between having an engine damaged or a lounge, you (Ricky) would pick the lounge on Mooner's behalf (assuming that damaging the lounge would be better for the ship than damaging the engine).

Then you (Ricky) would post the current stats for Mooner's ship (fresh damage included), and then say, "Dave, it's your turn." This way, I don't have to wait around for Mooner to make the (probably) obvious choice, and the game will run much more smoothly.

In the (hopefully) rare cases in which you make a choice that Mooner disagrees with, we have the luxury of simply backing everything up after Mooner says, "now wait just a damn minute!" He could then make the decision he would have made, had we been face-to-face, and then either have me redo my turn (if his changes would have made a difference to my turn) or just keep on going with his.

And so, meekly, I'm going to suggest that no matter what turn order gets figured out, that I go first to set an example of how people should post their turns.

Oh, and I'm going to say that whoever suggested an online game is the person who determines the turn order, so that would be you, Ricky.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  19:08:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay. I almost have everything set to go, but I'm having a hard time playing around with the toughness attribute for everything. I will be posting my ship tomorrow, awful as it may be.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  19:15:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's going to be a learning experience for all of us.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  22:20:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Dave there is an error in the example calculation for the bridge section, I think. It should be 7u of space.

Oh, and I'm going to say that whoever suggested an online game is the person who determines the turn order, so that would be you, Ricky.

Mooner, I assume you're in? If that's the case, then I'll opt to go last: Dave, Mooner, me.

Here is my ship. I call 'er "Eggs in a basket".

Cost  Component  Size  Attributes
45    Bridge     7     1AP/6TG
30    Crew       4     1AP/3TG
25    Life       5     1BP/5TG
70    Prop       9     5MN/1TH/5TG
130   Weap       25    13PW/6AC/8TG
160   Shield     18    12PR/7TG
40    Frame      8     5TG

- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 10/05/2009 23:04:00
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  22:51:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Hey Dave there is an error in the example calculation for the bridge section, I think. It should be 7u of space.
You're right.

But with 68u of other components and a 6TG, your frame should be 9u and cost 45c, bringing your ship cost up to 505c.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  23:04:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easily fixed. I just spent the last 7 hours doing a commutative algebra assignment, so I'll just trust your calculations... for now.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds.