Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  10:14:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm starting slow. It'll be a few days before I can try to get into this. I've got to read all the instructions, and catch up with this thread. My apologies to all. Don't wait for me, I'll just have to catch up.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  11:00:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Here is my ship. I call 'er "Eggs in a basket".

Cost  Component  Size  Attributes
45    Bridge     7     1AP/6TG
30    Crew       4     1AP/3TG
25    Life       5     1BP/5TG
70    Prop       9     5MN/1TH/5TG
130   Weap       25    13PW/6AC/8TG
160   Shield     18    12PR/7TG
40    Frame      8     5TG
Hey, Ricky, I just noticed that on your first turn, your people will start taking damage. You need another BP of life support to match your 2AP of crew and staff. (I'm guessing that your 1BP/5TG life support component will become 2BP/4TG.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  19:07:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay. So if I'm understanding the rules right, there is no way I can have a ship with only 1 ap per turn?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  21:44:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So if I'm understanding the rules right, there is no way I can have a ship with only 1 ap per turn?
Sure, you can. Get just a minimal Bridge, and no Crew. The example ships "Tiniest Fighter" and "Local Tug" only have 1 AP each.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  20:04:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

50    Bridge     8     1AP/7TG
35    Life       7     1BP/7TG
80    Prop       11    5MN/1TH/7TG
125   Weap       25    13PW/6AC/7TG
50    Frame      10     7TG

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 10/28/2009 20:35:22
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  21:28:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

45    Bridge     7     1AP/6TG
35    Life       5     1BP/7TG
70    Prop       9     5MN/1TH/5TG
130   Weap       25    13PW/6AC/8TG
50    Frame      8     7TG
Your life support component needs to be 7u, not 5u. It starts at 1u, and you've added 6TG to it. The cost is correct, but the size isn't.

All components except the frame total 66u, so a 1TG frame would be 4u. Adding 6TG to it would make it 10u. Again, the cost is correct, but the size is missing 2u.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  06:04:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be honest, at the risk of Dave's wrath: I don't see a game here. What I see is a randomized interaction between stats. Perhaps there is more to the application of actions than I am seeing, but there seems little room for tactical choice on the part of the players.

As a player, how do I influence the outcome of a given action or combat other than carefully rolling well. The initiative structure (very bland turn-based structure) even seems to take care to avoid cooperative options between ships (by refusing to allow actions to be split between ships. So each ship acts independently of any other, but even in the hokiest of space opera, ships often work together or in concert (multi-attack, concentrated fire, or deliberately taking hits for another ship or some such stuff). Is there any particular reason why the combat cannot be in phases instead?

Now, perhaps I am being premature in my critique. Perhaps the intent right now is to get the systems working and tactical considerations will be added after the systems are "play-tested;" if so, I stand corrected. For the moment, this seems pretty much akin to playing a complicated version of Monopoly. It sounds like the fun ends once the ship is constructed.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  07:30:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglas

I'll be honest, at the risk of Dave's wrath: I don't see a game here.
Hey, even tic-tac-toe is a game.
What I see is a randomized interaction between stats. Perhaps there is more to the application of actions than I am seeing, but there seems little room for tactical choice on the part of the players.

As a player, how do I influence the outcome of a given action or combat other than carefully rolling well.
The tactical decision-making is done by picking what those precious AP go into. Do we fire a weapon, repair some damage, or shift the shield configuration? These actions will influence later actions, because if we fire the weapon this turn instead of repairing it, we may find ourselves without it, next turn. AP are expensive to add to a ship, and will get lost over the course of a battle, so it's not like a player will always be able to do everything he wants every turn.
The initiative structure (very bland turn-based structure) even seems to take care to avoid cooperative options between ships (by refusing to allow actions to be split between ships. So each ship acts independently of any other, but even in the hokiest of space opera, ships often work together or in concert (multi-attack, concentrated fire, or deliberately taking hits for another ship or some such stuff).
If a single player controls several ships, he can actually do quite a bit of cooperative play, but how, beyond remote-controlling another ship, could AP be reasonably split?

As to deliberately taking hits and other such maneuvering, movement of the ships is almost entirely ignored (except for fleeing), simply because this game was designed to be played without needing a map and/or ship tokens and/or a lot of complicated look-up tables. "Myoss Gamma: Tactics" would seem like a natural next step, to introduce some sort of battlefield and options for scooting around in it (and bonuses for close-range attacks and what-not).
Is there any particular reason why the combat cannot be in phases instead?
Explain, please. What do you mean, "phases?"
Now, perhaps I am being premature in my critique. Perhaps the intent right now is to get the systems working and tactical considerations will be added after the systems are "play-tested;" if so, I stand corrected. For the moment, this seems pretty much akin to playing a complicated version of Monopoly. It sounds like the fun ends once the ship is constructed.
Hey, some people like Monopoly.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  09:30:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Ricky and I were talking a bunch in chat last night about the current rules for ship destruction, which are probably far too capricious. If (when) Ricky's ship and my ship go up against each other, his first attack against my ship will result in a 43% chance of my ship just vaporizing. Want to talk about taking the fun away? Having a ship explode in the first turns would do it.

So we were talking about playing without the rule, just noting when ship destruction would have happened if the rule were in effect, but today I realized that that would mean the ships would be slugging it out until one or the other simply can't do anything offensive any longer, either due to a lack of weapons or to a lack of AP, so that may be going too far in the other direction.

So now I'm thinking that when a component gets destroyed, you take the total size of all non-destroyed components, multiply by 100, divide by the original ship size and round down. If that number is less than 50 (less than half the ship remains intact), then multiply it by two and roll the dice. If the result is greater than the calculated number, BOOM!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  19:49:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind duking it out until one player says uncle, this seems like a legitimate version of the game. On the other hand, your new destruction rules sound good too. We can always play with multiple versions concurrently.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  21:53:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

We can always play with multiple versions concurrently.
Yeah, that's still a good idea.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  00:39:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, let's light this fire. Anyone who wanted in but hasn't posted a ship yet can either wait for the next battle, or start up another one concurrently.

As a reminder, here's my ship, Two Tough:

Cst Component     u Atts        Hitlc Dm Curr Atts
--- ------------- - ----------- ----- -- -----------
 25 Bridge        2 1AP/2TG     01-02 OO AP: O
 25 Crew A        2 1AP/2TG     03-04 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt A  2 1BP/2TG     05-06 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter A 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 07-08 OO PW: O AC: O
 25 Crew B        2 1AP/2TG     19-10 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt B  2 1BP/2TG     11-12 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter B 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 13-14 OO PW: O AC: O
 25 Crew C        2 1AP/2TG     15-16 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt C  2 1BP/2TG     17-18 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter C 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 19-20 OO PW: O AC: O
 25 Crew D        2 1AP/2TG     21-22 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt D  2 1BP/2TG     23-24 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter D 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 25-26 OO PW: O AC: O
 25 Crew E        2 1AP/2TG     27-28 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt E  2 1BP/2TG     29-30 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter E 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 31-32 OO PW: O AC: O
 25 Crew F        2 1AP/2TG     33-34 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt F  2 1BP/2TG     35-36 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter F 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 37-38 OO PW: O AC: O
 25 Crew G        2 1AP/2TG     39-40 OO AP: O
 10 Life Spprt G  2 1BP/2TG     41-42 OO BP: O
 15 Pea Shooter G 2 1PW/1AC/2TG 43-44 OO PW: O AC: O
 10 Life Spprt H  2 1BP/2TG     45-46 OO BP: O
 25 Engineering   2 1RP/2TG     47-48 OO RP: O
 65 Gyroboost     7 6MN/1TH/2TG 49-55 OO MN: OOOOOO TH: O
 20 Frame         4 2TG         56-59 OO
495 Totals       59

And here is Ricky's ship, Eggs in a basket:

Cst Component     u  Atts         Hitlc Damage  Curr Atts
--- ------------- -- ------------ ----- ------- -----------
 50 Bridge         8 1AP/7TG      01-08 OOOOOOO AP: O
 35 Life           7 1BP/7TG      09-15 OOOOOOO BP: O
 80 Prop          11 5MN/1TH/7TG  16-26 OOOOOOO MN: OOOOO TH: O
125 Weap          25 13PW/6AC/7TG 27-51 OOOOOOO PW: OOOOOOOOOOOOO
                                                AC: OOOOOO
160 Shield        18 12PR/7TG     52-69 OOOOOOO PR: OOOOOOOOOOOO
 50 Frame         10 7TG          70-79 OOOOOOO
490 Totals        79

Now, since Ricky has been gratious enough to give me the first turn, here I go.

First, I have enough BP (8) to keep all of my crew and staff safe from asphixiation (8 AP), so I don't need to damage any of my peeps.

So, I'm going to start attacking Ricky's ship. Since we both only have one engine, our MSes are identical to our MNs. I have a 6MN engine, versus Ricky's 5MN propulsion, giving me a base AI of +1. I have no Tractor Beam or Computers or Scanners, and Ricky's ship has no cloak. All of my weapons have an AC of 1, giving me an AI of +2 for all seven of my attacks (since Ricky can't damage my ship during my turn).

An AI of +2 gives me "1 roll, ATT adjusts" for each of my attacks, as follows:

Pea Shooter A: Using this tool, I rolled a 76, which is a hit on Ricky's frame. I could adjust it down to a 71, but that's still the frame, or up to 81, which would be a miss. I'll take the frame hit, but since Ricky has a shield on which can absorb 12 damage, my 1PW weapon gets completely absorbed.

Pea Shooter B: I rolled a 32. This would be a hit on Ricky's weapon if he didn't have a shield, which loses another point of PR.

Pea Shooter C: I rolled a 10. Again, this is a shield hit, it's now down to PR9.

Pea Shooter D: I rolled a 72. Another shield hit. I really can't do anything better than shield hits this turn, because Ricky's shield is so strong.

Pea Shooter E: I rolled a 98. Since I can only adjust this down to 93, this is a miss. Dangit.

Pea Shooter F: I rolled a 25. The shield is now at PR7.

Pea Shooter G: I rolled a 19. One more shield hit.

Since I have 8 AP and only 7 weapons, I will save an action this turn, which will give me 9 AP next turn.

Here is the status of your ship, Ricky (note the Xs for the shield PR lost):

160 Shield        18 12PR/7TG     52-69 OOOOOOO PR: OOOOOOXXXXXX

It's your turn, Ricky.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  11:09:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The current state of Dave's ship:

10 Life Spprt H  2 1BP/2TG     45-46 OO BP: O
495 Totals       59

And my ship:

160 Shield        18 12PR/7TG     52-69 OOOOOOO PR: OOOOOOXXXXXX

My MS - Dave's MS = -1. There are no tractor beams, computers, or scans. I have no weapon damage with 6AC, so my AI is -1 + 6 = 5, and there are no cloaks. With this, I get 2 rolls for my shot and I can pick which one to use.

I rolled a 45 and a 38. I'll take the 45 which is Dave's life support H. My weapon has 13PW, and his life support has a TG of 2, so it is destroyed.

Dave's ship was originally 59, the life support had a size of 2, so my DI = 59 - 2 = 57. I rolled a 37, so his ship is safe, which is now:

10 Life Spprt H  2 1BP/2TG     45-46 XX BP: X
495 Totals       59

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  13:34:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can others still get in on this?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  14:59:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dave's ship was originally 59, the life support had a size of 2, so my DI = 59 - 2 = 57. I rolled a 37, so his ship is safe...
And in the new system, 57/59=96.6%, so my ship is safe.

We can also do this for the marking of destroyed components:

Okay, so I have 7 BP but 8 AP, so my crew is having a hard time breathing. Specifically, Crew G takes a point of damage:

25 Crew G        2 1AP/2TG     39-40 OX AP: O

Nothing else has changed. All weapons and engines are still intact, so I get the same +2 AI as I did last turn (and it's just as likely that I'll only make shield hits on Ricky's ship again):

Pea Shooter A: I roll 65, eliminating another point of PR.

Pea Shooter B: 85, which I can't adjust lower than an 80, so it's a miss.

Pea Shooter C: 45, another point of PR.

Pea Shooter D: 2, another point of PR.

Pea Shooter E: 21, another PR.

Pea Shooter F: 94, a miss.

Pea Shooter G: 46: another PR, for a total of 5.

Eggs in a Basket now has this status:

160 Shield        18 12PR/7TG     52-69 OOOOOOO PR: OXXXXXXXXXXX

I'm going to save an action again this turn. It's your turn, Ricky.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds.