Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Agita
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  22:49:13  Show Profile Send Agita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kirk Cameron, best known for his role in the 1980s sitcom Growing Pains, now spends much of his time advocating for far-right Christian evangelical causes.

In a video posted recently to YouTube, Cameron lays out a plan to subvert 'Darwin Day' on November 22, 2009 -- a date marking the 150th anniversary of the publishing of Charles Darwin's "Origin of Species." Cameron says that he and like-minded activists plan to deliver 50,000 copies of an altered version of Darwin's book to students at dozens of U.S. universities.

Cameron explains that this "very special" edition of the "Origin of Species" will include an introduction explaining "Adolf Hitler's undeniable connection" to the theory of evolution, and highlighting "Darwin's racism" and "his disdain for women." Cameron's edition also exposes the "many hoaxes" of evolutionary theory, while presenting a "balanced view of Creationism."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/22/kirk-camerons-origin-of-s_n_294349.html

I hear tell that they're maling the cover to look like the original.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  03:52:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I caught that at PZ's -- great video. Cristina's a smart young lady. Pretty too, although if she were one of mine, she'd brush her hair a little more carefully.

Ray Comfort is one of those people who give the unmitigated asses a bad name, as does Kirk Cameron. Between them, they might be able decipher a McDonald's menu, but I'd not look for any greater achievements. The idea of Banana Boy writing a preface to Origin of Species is like the village idiot critiquing Shakespeare. Comfort should be arrested for littering as soon as the last punctuation mark is put down.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  04:10:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SFN's earlier discussion of the book.

PZ's post with Cristina's video.

PZ's plan to thwart Kirk and Ray.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Agita
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  07:07:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Agita a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I should've known you guys would be all over this but I didn't see anything here about it so I thought I'd share.

I wonder how they would feel if we reprinted the Holy Bible and added a few chapters of our own.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  07:37:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Agita

I should've known you guys would be all over this but I didn't see anything here about it so I thought I'd share.

I wonder how they would feel if we reprinted the Holy Bible and added a few chapters of our own.

Wouldnt be the first time. Just put Rev. in front of your name and soon you too will have a sect to call your own: Agitan Reformist Church of the Holy Sacrement.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  08:06:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The old thread didn't have the most informative title.
We could just reprint the Jefferson Bible:
The Jefferson Bible begins with an account of Jesus’s birth without references to angels, genealogy, or prophecy. Miracles, references to the Trinity and the divinity of Jesus, and Jesus’ resurrection are also absent from the Jefferson Bible. The work ends with the words: “Now, in the place where he was crucified, there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid. There laid they Jesus. And rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.” These words correspond to the ending of John 19 in the Bible.
It's public domain, now, so anyone can republish it.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Agita
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  08:09:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Agita a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rev. Agita,

I like it, now everyone send me a dollar 'cause I'm worried 'bout your souls.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  13:21:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard that they will be distributed free of charge. If so then all we need to do is instruct people which pages they should rip out and for no cost they have one of the greatest scientific works ever published.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  14:43:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rev. Agita,

Now just set up your PayPal account, and you're good to go.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  15:39:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rev. Agita,

Tried that -- didn't work and I actually am ordained. I am a minister of the Universal Life Church and as such, I am qualified to preach weddings, funerals, revivals, fish fries and any other function requiring a person of exceeding piety, not excluding human sacrifice. Never got paid for any of that, either.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Agita
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  16:50:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Agita a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Rev. Agita,

Tried that -- didn't work and I actually am ordained. I am a minister of the Universal Life Church and as such, I am qualified to preach weddings, funerals, revivals, fish fries and any other function requiring a person of exceeding piety, not excluding human sacrifice. Never got paid for any of that, either.

You're doing it all wrong Filthy. 'Ya gotta be ruthless like those Christoreligeofascists. It helps if you can lie through your teeth too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  18:20:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

I've heard that they will be distributed free of charge. If so then all we need to do is instruct people which pages they should rip out...
The first 50.
...and for no cost they have one of the greatest scientific works ever published.
With the really interesting chapters abridged out of it. Last page counts I saw, Comfort and Cameron's edition leaves out over half of the book. Better to read it online for free.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  18:27:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The deletion of all that material from Origin by Comfort is far more obscene even than his 50-page pack of lies "introduction."

These books are worthless for reading. Maybe they could be collected and stored in old mines, to sequester their carbon?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  16:17:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Came across this:
Creationist Kirk Cameron Sicks His Banana Man on Darwin and America's College Students
Submitted by meg on Thu, 09/24/2009 - 1:31pm. Analysis
BUZZFLASH NEWS ANALYSIS
by Meg White

Talk about a back-to-school special! Watch out co-eds, 'cause this year, Kirk Cameron and his sidekick Ray Comfort are teaming up with Answers in Genesis (the pseudo-scientists who brought you the Creation Museum in Petersburg, KY) to convince you and your school chums that Darwin was misogynistic, racist Nazi.

Their "Origin Into Schools" effort will target 50 major college campuses on Nov. 21, where Creationists will be giving out free copies of Darwin's On the Origin of Species on the classic tome's 150-year anniversary. Only these special editions of the book that introduced the world to the concept of evolution will be prefaced with a 50-page introduction written by Comfort (whom I will henceforth refer to as the Banana Man, thanks to this classic video which illustrates the basic inability of Creationists to use logic with a simplicity I could never accomplish).

Evidently, AiG is involved in it somewhere as well. The up side of it is that Cristina, our charming ragamuffin's video is in the story, and I'm coming across it everywhere. If anything will put a damper on the Ray & Kirk Lying Circus, it will be that.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  19:58:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say we cut the first 50 pages out, then about a week after the giveaway date, everyone mail them to Cameron with a note that goes something like:

"There seems to be a mistake. These pages were added to Darwin's book. The printing company must have screwed up."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  10:40:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, speaking of Ray and Kirk's Origin, here's an example of a not-pology by Ray.

Last week I said that Charles Darwin wasn#8217;t a racist, and that even if he was, his personal morality was irrelevant when it came to the theory of evolution. But after studying him closely, I have changed my mind.

So, he originally pretends to be reasonable by saying

Besides, the moral character of Charles Darwin is irrelevant to the Theory of Evolution, just as the Theory of Relativity should stand on its own merits, and not on the morality of Albert Einstein.

then he reverts to form as can be seen above.

To see what I mean, get a load of the Darwin quote that Ray uses in that first link.

Fortunately, one of his commentators has to straighten him out.

Could someone explain to me why evangelicals are so consistently full of shit?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.