WoE # 92: Fishing Village
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  07:19:12  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What on Earth? # 92: Fishing Village

This is a village known for its fishery and for being a regional center of education.

For one point per question:

1. What's the name of the village?

2. What nation controls it?

3. What does its name mean?

Click for larger version

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  06:33:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint # 1: The eight-letter name of this village includes three "Q's" and not a single "U."

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  12:37:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how to play this game, but I'll go ahead and embarrass myself.

1. Qeqertaq, Greenland

2. Denmark

3. no idea

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  15:23:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

I'm not sure how to play this game, but I'll go ahead and embarrass myself.

1. Qeqertaq, Greenland

2. Denmark

3. no idea
Also spelled "Qaqortoq."

Two
One points for you, Fripp! (Actually, it could be argued that your third answer is correct, too. Correct, maybe, but not right.)

No, wait! Qaqortoq and Qeqertaq are two separate Greenland fishing villages. Both names have eight letters, three Q's and no U's. I must deduct one point, Fripp!

The standings:
  1. Hal, 40 points
  2. steinhenge, 24 points
  3. Dave W., 8 points
  4. bngbuck, 7 points
  5. AnthroGeek, 6 points
  6. Hawks, 5.5 points
  7. lorddix, 4 points
  8. Randy, 3 points
  9. R.Wreck, 3 points
  10. sailinsoul, 3 points
  11. Simon, 2 points
  12. Chippewa, 1 point
  13. Fripp, 1 point
(Ties are listed in alphabetical order.)

[Edited to correct my acceptance of the answers to the first two questions.]

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/20/2009 16:10:00
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  16:12:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem (regarding the spelling). The "3 q's" clue did it for me. I knew there was a town called Qanaaq (sp?) in Greenland so I just went and looked at all the other towns. I think I looked at the correct one but i didn't think it's location matched the image.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  16:26:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

No problem (regarding the spelling). The "3 q's" clue did it for me. I knew there was a town called Qanaaq (sp?) in Greenland so I just went and looked at all the other towns. I think I looked at the correct one but i didn't think it's location matched the image.
What an odd coincidence though, huh? (Or is it a coincidence?)

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:15:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question #3 "What does it mean?"
Answer "island"

SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  23:09:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Question #3 "What does it mean?"
Answer "island"

SS
The correct village's name doesn't mean "island," sorry.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  06:23:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh drat, moon! Am I correct that the name is not Qeqertaq, Greenland but Qaqortoq because a point was not given for Qeqertaq? SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  20:07:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh drat, moon! Am I correct that the name is not Qeqertaq, Greenland but Qaqortoq because a point was not given for Qeqertaq? SS
Your reasoning seems logical, but I cannot either give you the proper village's name, nor award a point for a question.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  19:32:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm still confused, not the first time or last. You asked the question #3 my reply is I believe correct.
Qeqertaq means "island",Qaqortoq means "white or white one". SS

Edited by - sailingsoul on 11/22/2009 19:36:01
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  01:44:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well I'm still confused, not the first time or last. You asked the question #3 my reply is I believe correct.
Qeqertaq means "island",Qaqortoq means "white or white one". SS

This is confusing, sorry. But I must first ask for an unambiguous answer: Which of the two similar names fits the place shown in the OP? You've already given answers that will cover the meaning of that name, and thus are close to the two remaining points.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  22:28:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oy vey! OK, ok. http://www.greenland.com/content/english/tourist/towns_regions/south_greenland/qaqortoq/map_of_qaqortoq
The Village name, Qaqortoq
Qaqortoq means white (one, understood) or for the anal, white one. SS

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  00:06:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oy vey! OK, ok. http://www.greenland.com/content/english/tourist/towns_regions/south_greenland/qaqortoq/map_of_qaqortoq
The Village name, Qaqortoq
Qaqortoq means white (one, understood) or for the anal, white one. SS
Correct for two points, sailingsoul!

The standings:
  1. Hal, 40 points
  2. steinhenge, 24 points
  3. Dave W., 8 points
  4. bngbuck, 7 points
  5. AnthroGeek, 6 points
  6. Hawks, 5.5 points
  7. sailinsoul, 5 points
  8. lorddix, 4 points
  9. Randy, 3 points
  10. R.Wreck, 3 points
  11. Simon, 2 points
  12. Chippewa, 1 point
  13. Fripp, 1 point
(Ties are listed in alphabetical order.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.