This is just sad....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  08:33:42  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we really live in a country that is loaded to the plimsoll mark with superstitious boneheads? Evidently, we do.
Food for thought

Mon, 12/07/2009 - 9:41pm

Percentage of Americans who believe in angels: 55

Percentage of Americans who believe in evolution: 39

Percentage of Americans who believe in anthropogenic global warming: 36

Percentage of Americans who believe in ghosts: 34

Percentage of Americans who believe in UFOs: 34

Hey Rat, do y'all have a little space for a jaded and disillusioned skeptic up there in Canada; maybe somewhere in Nova Scotia or Newfoundland? I've always liked the Bay of Fundy, perhaps because there are so few of them around there.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  09:56:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As disconcerting as most of this is, I actually find it surprising that 45% of Americans apparently don't believe in angels (or say they don't know if they exist). Given that roughly 85% of Americans claim to be religious, and the majority are Christian, the fact that so few believe in angels is actually encouraging. Geez, they're in the Bible.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  10:46:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forget which podcast I was listening to this morning, but they were talking about the percentage of people that polls said "believed" in evolution and that the percentage of people who accept a naturalistic evolution is much lower than the total number of people who "believe" in some kind of evolution, including the different varieties of "theistic evolution."

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  11:24:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
UFO's.....I believe in UFO's....see them once in a while.

Wait did you mean Alien craft? I've Never seen one of those.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  12:19:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Hey Rat, do y'all have a little space for a jaded and disillusioned skeptic up there in Canada; maybe somewhere in Nova Scotia or Newfoundland? I've always liked the Bay of Fundy, perhaps because there are so few of them around there.

We're sort of growing here. There's the group I'm chair of, the Association for Science and Reason (formerly Skeptics Canada), CFI has opened an office in Toronto, there are skeptics groups in most major cities, and we have a recent on-line group started called Skeptic North. If you head to the east coast you'll be a little out of it. While Canadians aren't as fundamentalist as some Americans, and definitely less shrill about it, it's more because we're rather unassuming, with a 'live and let live' attitude. But down east around Fundy most people are religious, in fact I've heard that Digby, right on the bay, has the highest concentration of churches anywhere. Despite that there is just about zero chance that you would be ostracized in the community for being an atheist. Nobody would really care.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.