Numerology in the 21st century
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  06:57:27  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, according to this guy, the Mayans were full of it and the world will not end In 2012, no. It will end MAY 1, 2011!

Harold Camping lets out a hearty chuckle when he considers the people who believe the world will end in 2012.

"That date has not one stitch of biblical authority," Camping says from the Oakland office where he runs Family Radio, an evangelical station that reaches listeners around the world. "It's like a fairy tale."

The real date for the end of times, he says, is in 2011.

The Mayans and the recent Hollywood movie "2012" have put the apocalypse in the popular mind this year, but Camping has been at this business for a long time. And while Armageddon is pop science or big-screen entertainment to many, Camping has followers from the Bay Area to China.

Camping, 88, has scrutinized the Bible for almost 70 years and says he has developed a mathematical system to interpret prophecies hidden within the Good Book. One night a few years ago, Camping, a civil engineer by trade, crunched the numbers and was stunned at what he'd found: The world will end May 21, 2011.

And how exactly did the gentleman arrive at this odd conclusion, one asks? Why by the ancient art of numerology, of course.

Meaning in numbers

By Camping's understanding, the Bible was dictated by God and every word and number carries a spiritual significance. He noticed that particular numbers appeared in the Bible at the same time particular themes are discussed.

The number 5, Camping concluded, equals "atonement." Ten is "completeness." Seventeen means "heaven." Camping patiently explained how he reached his conclusion for May 21, 2011.

"Christ hung on the cross April 1, 33 A.D.," he began. "Now go to April 1 of 2011 A.D., and that's 1,978 years."

Camping then multiplied 1,978 by 365.2422 days - the number of days in each solar year, not to be confused with a calendar year.

Next, Camping noted that April 1 to May 21 encompasses 51 days. Add 51 to the sum of previous multiplication total, and it equals 722,500.

Camping realized that (5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17) = 722,500.

Or put into words: (Atonement x Completeness x Heaven), squared.

"Five times 10 times 17 is telling you a story," Camping said. "It's the story from the time Christ made payment for your sins until you're completely saved.

"I tell ya, I just about fell off my chair when I realized that," Camping said.

Indeed.....

Edited to add this link for any who might not be familiar with Numerology, and this one for as how it applies to the Bible.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/02/2010 07:35:36

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  10:32:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except that October 4, 1582, was followed by October 15, 1582, due to the adoption of the Gregorian calendar. So April 1, 33, to April 1, 2011, is actually 1978 years minus 10 days. Therefore, the end of the world will occur on May 31st, 2011, and not 10 days before.

I predict that Camping will announce the discovery of this mistake on May 22nd of next year, after the world has failed to end on the 21st.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  10:54:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of years ago on an 800 mile drive I stumbled across the insanity of Harold Camping on the radio. He is completely out of his mind. He claimed all churches are actually in service of Satan. Even for a fundy nutball, he's a couple of steps beyond the usual crazy.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  13:28:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh, we'll just add him to the long and disintinguished list of pious goofballs. I'm sure he'll be made welcome and fit in comfortably.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  14:55:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by R.Wreck

A couple of years ago on an 800 mile drive I stumbled across the insanity of Harold Camping on the radio. He is completely out of his mind. He claimed all churches are actually in service of Satan. Even for a fundy nutball, he's a couple of steps beyond the usual crazy.
Then, again, he may be onto something there.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  06:23:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by R.Wreck

Then, again, he may be onto something there.

Yes, I'm sure that he is.....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  11:44:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Eh, we'll just add him to the long and disintinguished list of pious goofballs. I'm sure he'll be made welcome and fit in comfortably.

Fun website, thanks, and a welcome addition to my Apocalypse section on Debunkatron.

http://debunkatron.com/#Apocalypse
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.