Onward Christian Solders....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  05:49:24  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always loathed that hymn.

We are all aware of the asinine statement Brit Hume made about Tiger Woods, a Buddhist, committing apostasy and converting to Christianity. A closer look reveals that this is not an aberration for FOX, but standard opporating procedure. So I must ask: what the hell business does a news organization, even a shitty one like FOX, have in advancing one religion over any others? Or none? Where the hell do these cheap demagogues get off, trying to advise any individual to change his/her faith?

Anyhow:
Fox News: Keeping the faith
January 05, 2010 5:32 pm ET

Religion is ... tough.

The collected spiritual teachings of the world's various deities, messiahs, prophets, monks, yogis, gurus, and shamans are so deeply ingrained in human culture and consciousness that they essentially tell the history of mankind. Their cosmological and philosophical differences have proved to be stubbornly intractable and provided the impetus for many of humanity's more brutal conflicts. The greatest minds of the ancient, medieval, and modern worlds have devoted entire lifetimes delving into the deepest questions that face mankind.

But for Fox News, religion is easy: Christianity is right and good and must be defended from its relentless persecutors, and other faiths are dangerous, inadequate, or funny.

The article continues to cover the preposterous War on Christmas and other examples of what we begin realize is not a mere trend. It causes me to wonder which evangelist pockets Murdock and Allies are in.

And, of course, they play the oppression and persecution cards.

In a way, Hume's appeal for Woods' salvation was a fitting coda to Fox News' annual winter exercise in manufactured outrage on behalf of the supposedly beleaguered Christian community -- the increasingly ridiculous "War on Christmas." Despite the fact that Christianity is by a long way the world's predominant and, arguably, most influential faith, Fox News continues to insist every year that the entire religion is threatened by an evil coalition of atheists and other militant "secularists" who want to "abolish" Christmas by forcing department store clerks to say "Happy Holidays." And if that weren't stupid enough, Fox stepped on its own ridiculous message by running commercials this year wishing viewers "Happy Holidays."

The "War on Christmas" is part and parcel of Fox News' attitude toward matters of faith -- "religion" equals "Christian." On April 29, 2009, Bill O'Reilly asked Fox & Friends anchor Gretchen Carlson if she thought "the media is anti-religion." Carlson responded: "I do, because it's not cool to be Christian." Fox News' media criticism program, Fox News Watch, devoted an April 12 segment to a Newsweek cover story proclaiming: "The Decline and Fall of Christian America." Host Bill Hemmer said of the cover: "The timing doesn't seem to be a coincidence. It's holy week for Christians and Passover for Jews. And it's also not the first time the mainstream media has weighed in with a negative message on God and religion."

And so forth. I reccommend that FOX get out of news(?) and start up a church. That would be a much more comfortable swindle than the one they are running now, and evidently, the money is just as good and perhaps even better.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  19:29:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah the oh so oppressed Christians in the USA with their tax free churches, "in god we just" inserted onto our money, "under god" inserted into the pledge of allegiance. {sigh}
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  10:11:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Ah the oh so oppressed Christians in the USA with their tax free churches, "in god we just" inserted onto our money, "under god" inserted into the pledge of allegiance. {sigh}

Bah, I can't edit my typos anymore. Harumph!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.