Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  06:00:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Originally posted by Bill scott

Just not the railroaded down your throat Obama version.

I thought the version you were getting was railroaded down your throat by Joe 'Turncoat' Lieberman? Up here in Canada we don't know whether to laugh or cry watching the crap you're being put through. Oh well, our system is better, so we'll have more time to chuckle. You see, we live longer!

You see, we live longer!

Living up there I am not sure if you are implying that this is a blessing or a curse? Just being subjected to that much hockey alone would be enough for me to think about getting out.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  06:13:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We'll know Tues. evening. It's not going to make a lot of difference, anyway. As a deliberative body, our current Congress sucks, whatever party is in the majority. It's been sucking since '94 and wasn't all that great prior to that. And you can't blame Obama for that one, although I'm sure some batch of conservative idiots or other would try if they think of it.

The so-called Senate "Super Majority" is meaningless anyway and we all knew that going in. The Democrats are too afraid and in many cases too corrupt to hold it together, and Republicans are acting like sullen children as well as being just plain corrupt.

It's all about corporate money. Without it, this nest of weasels could no longer exist, and the most successful of the weasels are the ones who can grab the most. It is Congress that is screwing up HRC, not Obama.

Which is the main reason that I might stay home during this upcoming election. Here in NC, I don't see anyone worth the gasoline it would use up going to the polling place. I haven't made up my mind on that yet; it will probably depend on how pissed off I am the day before.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/17/2010 07:50:02
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  07:00:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

We'll know Tues. evening. It's not going to make a lot of difference, anyway. As a deliberative body, our current Congress sucks, whatever party is in the majority. It's been sucking since '94 and wasn't all that great prior to that. And you can't blame Obama for that one, although I'm sure some batch of conservative idiots or other would try if they think of it.

The so-called Senate "Super Majority" is meaningless anyway and we all knew that going in. The Democrats are too afraid and in many cases too corrupt to hold it together, and Republicans are are acting sullen children as well as being just plain corrupt.

It's all about corporate money. Without it, this nest of weasels could no longer exist, and the most successful of the weasels are the ones who can grab the most. It is Congress that is screwing up HRC, not Obama.

Which is the main reason that I might stay home during this upcoming election. Here in NC, I don't see anyone worth the gasoline it would use up going to the polling place. I haven't made up my mind on that yet; it will probably depend on how pissed off I am the day before.

When I reflect on my voting history I can honestly say that 90% or more of my votes cast were cast in opposition of candidate X rather then a vote of endorsement for candidate Y. It is frustrating not to have someone who you actually feel like you could fully back that is for sure.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  07:44:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

Living up there I am not sure if you are implying that this is a blessing or a curse? Just being subjected to that much hockey alone would be enough for me to think about getting out.

It's very simple Bill, our health care system is better than yours and it costs us a lot less. And I'm no longer a hockey fan, the NHL has screwed the game.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  07:54:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill:
When I reflect on my voting history I can honestly say that 90% or more of my votes cast were cast in opposition of candidate X rather then a vote of endorsement for candidate Y. It is frustrating not to have someone who you actually feel like you could fully back that is for sure.

I can dig it. The lesser of two evils is always the shittest choice possible.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/17/2010 07:56:15
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  10:46:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will the democratic base get motivated when they realize they have a 50-50 chance of losing this seat?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  11:08:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Will the democratic base get motivated when they realize they have a 50-50 chance of losing this seat?
I don't know, but the Democratic National Committee (via Obama's Organizing for America organization) has been emailing out a lot of messages to get people all over the country to phone fellow Democrats in Massachusetts and get out the vote. In a tight race like this, that might make the difference.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  13:38:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's looking like it.
As Race Comes Down To Wire, Dem Volunteers Jamming Coakley Headquarters

[Video clip]
And despite the media having written off Coakley's campaign (after all, there's nothing they like better than "explaining" an election means the Democrats are "too liberal"), I got a report from the field saying the volunteers are pouring into Coakley headquarters this weekend for GOTV efforts:

"Vols are flooding the place. People are fighting for chairs at coakley hq. Folks are sitting on boxes and backpacks and whatever is around. There are no phones left in the phone bank here. Vols have stopped telling me to shut up as I yell at reporters on the phone because they can no longer hear me over the din of everyone else working the phones. The CW is wrong and the national narrative is a week behind. Energy level is high on our side. We've got a populist argument, we are on offense, we know the stakes, we are galvanized by the influx of tea party money and Republican bloviations. That story needs to be told."

I confess myself amazed; Democrats willing to fight for an election win. Of course, the republicans are doing the usual: trying to jam the phone lines, destroying campaign signs and so forth.

I guess they don't know that sort of thing is illegal. Yeah, right!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  22:46:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh.....is this also illegal?

By paying his staff as contractors instead of employees, Scott Brown avoids any responsibility to be a good employer and provide them health insurance. That alone should be enough to disqualify him in the minds of many voters. But by paying his staff as contractors, Brown has also managed to avoid his responsibility to pay their payroll taxes. Brown has pushed his tax obligation off on to his employees, which is not only selfish, it’s also probably a violation of federal law.

http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/scott-brown-tax-cheat

You know, part of me actually wants Scott Brown to win. He's just what the Republican boys' club needs. He'll fit right in.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  23:40:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by podcat

Uh.....is this also illegal?

By paying his staff as contractors instead of employees, Scott Brown avoids any responsibility to be a good employer and provide them health insurance. That alone should be enough to disqualify him in the minds of many voters. But by paying his staff as contractors, Brown has also managed to avoid his responsibility to pay their payroll taxes. Brown has pushed his tax obligation off on to his employees, which is not only selfish, it’s also probably a violation of federal law.

http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/scott-brown-tax-cheat

You know, part of me actually wants Scott Brown to win. He's just what the Republican boys' club needs. He'll fit right in.

It probably is, borderline, anyway. It certainly shows a profound lack of ethics.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  00:20:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie!
VIDEO: Scott Brown smiled and nodded as supporter suggested he 'stick a curling iron up her butt' about opponent Martha Coakley
by John Aravosis (DC) on 1/18/2010 12:52:00 AM

Imagine had a Democrat smiled and nodded because someone suggested you stick a hot curling iron up a woman's ass. Imagine had candidate Obama done this. It would be the end of their campaign. But the media let John McCain and Sarah Palin get away with it when their supporters called Obama a terrorist and suggested that someone kill him. And so far, Scott Brown is getting away with finding it funny when his supporter suggests his female opponent be basically raped with a hot iron. And to think six months ago this was Ted Kennedy's seat.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  06:21:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is he paying his campaign staff as contractors or is he still paying his state senate staff as contractors? March 2004 is a long time as a contractor for one employer.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  08:19:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Is he paying his campaign staff as contractors or is he still paying his state senate staff as contractors? March 2004 is a long time as a contractor for one employer.

Can't seem to find how long he's been doing that -- I suspect that it's a recent "cute, little trick" as is mentioned in the link. Evidently it is legal under MA law, but then, lots of utter bullshit is legal if not ethical. Or are my priorities screwed up?

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/18/2010 08:22:19
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  09:52:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie!
VIDEO: Scott Brown smiled and nodded as supporter suggested he 'stick a curling iron up her butt' about opponent Martha Coakley
by John Aravosis (DC) on 1/18/2010 12:52:00 AM

Imagine had a Democrat smiled and nodded because someone suggested you stick a hot curling iron up a woman's ass. Imagine had candidate Obama done this. It would be the end of their campaign. But the media let John McCain and Sarah Palin get away with it when their supporters called Obama a terrorist and suggested that someone kill him. And so far, Scott Brown is getting away with finding it funny when his supporter suggests his female opponent be basically raped with a hot iron. And to think six months ago this was Ted Kennedy's seat.

when their supporters called Obama a terrorist

Oh boo-hoo-hoo. And what spin this is. Some old coot calls BO a terrorist at a John McCain town hall meeting, of which JM quickly shoots her accusation down, and this is an example of the GOP trash and tarnish machine? Get real.

Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  11:40:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No but Obama did smile at Wanda Sykes joking about wanting to have Rush's kidneys to fail during a State dinner. - so what is the point. There are a##holes in both parties... What a shocker.

I thought you guys were smarter and more discerning.

Anyway to all you guys outside of MA - Stay out of our politics. We are going to decide not DC or GOP. Be it the tea bagger or the party hack bimbo.

STAY OUT OF MASSACHUSETTS ---
Edited by - Rubicon95 on 01/18/2010 11:49:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.