Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  17:21:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Originally posted by cantbe323
Of course, much of the effect of any medicine is psychomatic, and that only works if you have blind faith that it will.
This must be the dumbest comment SFN has had in a long time.

I suspect there have been dumber things said here. Might be fun to start collecting really stupid comments, and publish them together sometime.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  17:49:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Originally posted by cantbe323
Of course, much of the effect of any medicine is psychomatic, and that only works if you have blind faith that it will.
This must be the dumbest comment SFN has had in a long time.

I suspect there have been dumber things said here. Might be fun to start collecting really stupid comments, and publish them together sometime.

Faith, n:
The daughter of Desire wedded to a sneak thief. Faith sustains us even as we drink the KoolAid.
~~ Anon

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  15:16:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please clarify what you mean with may or may not occur. >>

It either will or it won't...

Paracetamol works poorly on me to alleviate headache. Acetylsalic acid works very well. The effect of morphin varies very much between individuals, and there's a scientific explanation for this. The reason hides in the genes.>>

Genes is another pseudoscience with no visible cause. The effect is also questionable.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  15:19:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the idiotic concerns that you express, I would strongly suggest that you stay away from pseudodoctors!>>

I fear no man and laugh at gods...

cantb323
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  15:23:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This must be the dumbest comment SFN has had in a long time.>>

Takes one to know one...

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  15:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect there have been dumber things said here. Might be fun to start collecting really stupid comments, and publish them together sometime.>>

If you do, include what you just said.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  15:36:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of claims, no evidence to back it up.

This one is not worth the time...

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  16:47:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is starting to get a little old, cantbe323. From your very first post, you have presented nothing but the Argumentum ad ignorantium fallacy and supported it with futile hand-waving. When are you going to surprise and shock us with something of substance?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  21:29:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

This is starting to get a little old, cantbe323. From your very first post, you have presented nothing but the Argumentum ad ignorantium fallacy and supported it with futile hand-waving. When are you going to surprise and shock us with something of substance?
Don't hold your breath. This guy's either a troll or a bot. There's no way that a rational human being can seriously respond the way cantbe323 has.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  21:32:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cantbe323
Genes is another pseudoscience with no visible cause. The effect is also questionable.

Okay doaky. What we have here is a troll. Even a poorly educated person would not make the above statement without the sole intention of being purposely annoying. Clearly, there is not a science that cantbe323 can not dismiss without explanation. And he is jumping from one science to another doing just that.

Unless this is troll feeding season, I see no reason to respond to this guy.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  22:45:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

It's just occurred to me that I've never seen "do not feed the trolls" actually work. Anywhere. Somebody always ignores the advice. Usually someone with SIWOTI Syndrome. Like me.

Of course, even when most people follow DNFTT, the troll usually ramps things up to the point where he/she must be banned.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  00:11:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the person is too stupid to be a troll. Professional trolls generally elicit some interest in responding whether one is compulsive about it or not. Answering this fool is like responding to a farting dog. Whatever you say is not going to prevent another flatulence.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  07:20:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesnt have to be a protroll on SFN, too many of us give too much benefit of the doubt.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  08:12:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Kil

It's just occurred to me that I've never seen "do not feed the trolls" actually work. Anywhere. Somebody always ignores the advice. Usually someone with SIWOTI Syndrome. Like me.
Well, I generally do. But sometimes there's a comment made that for me personally must be responded to. And I imagine that lots of other people generally avoid trolls except for those rare times when one feels compelled to reply. And if there are enough people doing this, then yes, someone will "feed the troll" as it were, and after a week you've got three pages of all of us randomly following through some ridiculous argument with someone who (a) can't use forum code, and (b) is completely non-sensical.

Of course, even when most people follow DNFTT, the troll usually ramps things up to the point where he/she must be banned.
We'll see what happens in this case... I don't know if it will be pretty though.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  08:33:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He is kind'a flat and stale, like a week-old slice of pizza that the cat licked all the cheese &toppings from, isn't he? It makes me nostalgic for the trolls of yesteryear; the ones that could turn these boards into a fiery Gehenna of purest acrimony, that would send even Lord Satan himself scuttling for the fall-out shelter in abject terror. Ah, alas, yesteryear....

Listen, cantbe323, we've got to do better than this. As I see it, you have 2 choices. 1) You can clean up your act and actually enter the discussion (with references), or 2) you can get serious with this trolling business and bring it! I'm good either way.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.