New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  18:07:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next thing you'll be saying is that theories are facts...

cantbe323

Uhmf...that was a predictable ignorant response from you.
Cantbe, your statement above is a great big flag-waving of science ineptitude.

Here, have a quick gander at this to bring you a wee bit up to speed....

A scientific theory has been tested repeatedly and is correct for all observed results.>>

Sometimes they can make accurate tests, sometimes they can't. In many cases scientists can't relate with observed results (effect) because they can't see the cause in operation.

cantbe323

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  04:37:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by cantbe323

Next thing you'll be saying is that theories are facts...

cantbe323

Uhmf...that was a predictable ignorant response from you.
Cantbe, your statement above is a great big flag-waving of science ineptitude.

Here, have a quick gander at this to bring you a wee bit up to speed....

A scientific theory has been tested repeatedly and is correct for all observed results.>>

Sometimes they can make accurate tests, sometimes they can't. In many cases scientists can't relate with observed results (effect) because they can't see the cause in operation.

cantbe323
Gotta reference for that? What examples can you put forth, or must we just take your word for it?

Why am I bothering to ask?

If you expect us to take you at your word, then why should we? You have yet to deal honestly with anyone on these boards, so it's a stretch I'm unwilling make; to think you would do so now.

And don't try dodge the questions with that "None so blind" tripe; it is merely a Red Herring -- a rather feeble one -- that applies to you far better than to us.

Say, when are you & Dave W. going to hold that de-bait? I've been looking forward to observing that for many pages, now.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  15:21:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Say, when are you & Dave W. going to hold that de-bait? I've been looking forward to observing that for many pages, now. >>

To have a debate, you have to have a topic to debate. Pick your poison and let's go for it... Any subject anytime...

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  15:51:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Say, when are you & Dave W. going to hold that de-bait? I've been looking forward to observing that for many pages, now. >>

To have a debate, you have to have a topic to debate. Pick your poison and let's go for it... Any subject anytime...

cantbe323

Fine. How 'bout the Theory of Evolution? That's got all kinds of sciencey stuff. Open a new thread...

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  15:54:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's what I asked of you.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  16:21:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

That's what I asked of you.

Sorry 'bout that. I'd rather watch you take this intellectual impacted bowel through the mangle than do it myself. But he insisted.

And with that, I will swear off ad hom for the duration of the debate. Unless provoked.....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  19:31:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Sorry 'bout that. I'd rather watch you take this intellectual impacted bowel through the mangle than do it myself. But he insisted.
No need for apologies, I just think we all want to see cantbe's "A" game, and so he should pick the subject matter. Something for which he is certain that his knowledge, experience and engineering background provide him ample and compelling evidence of the wrongs he allegedly sees.

And I have little doubt that most of the people here could wipe the floor with him regardless of the subject. Most regular SFN members are quick studies and sharp as tacks. So whether I do it or someone else does is really of little consequence. I've just been begging him for a serious debate, and so I thought I'd better speak up here.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  20:05:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by filthy

No need for apologies, I just think we all want to see cantbe's "A" game, and so he should pick the subject matter. Something for which he is certain that his knowledge, experience and engineering background provide him ample and compelling evidence of the wrongs he allegedly sees.

And I have little doubt that most of the people here could wipe the floor with him regardless of the subject. Most regular SFN members are quick studies and sharp as tacks. So whether I do it or someone else does is really of little consequence. I've just been begging him for a serious debate, and so I thought I'd better speak up here.

Don't hold your breath. I asked him repeatedly to back up his claim about prescription meds. I gave him the opportunity to debunk a specific medication, which should have been easy for him, what with his vast store of experience and him being a True Skeptic and all. All he did was honk his horn, scamper about in his giant shoes, shoot some water out of his boutonniere, and then hop in the little tiny car and scurry off to another incoherent claim. I don't think you'll get more than buffoonery either. But, please, continue to hold his feet, big red shoes and all, to the fire.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  20:39:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by R.Wreck

Don't hold your breath.
Oh, I'm not. I fully expect that cantbe is entirely bark, with no bite at all. As with the AGW denier thread I started recently, I'm just helping him to crucify himself (more than he's already done, of course).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  04:24:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ToE is a huge topic, so I think that if we do this thing, we should break it down into categories and deal with it piecemeal:

Radiometric dating
Transitional fossils
Living "fossils"
Soft tissue associated with fossils
Frauds and hoaxes -- there are many
The voyage of the Beagle
Burgess Shales
Scopes trial
The two major extinction events, either or both
The Cambrian explosion
The various dinosaurs, any or all
Dino to bird evolution
Bird to dino evolution(?)
Evolution in isolation
Human evolution
The megafauna
Abiogenesis hypothesis -- "goo to you via the zoo!"
Young Earth Creationist's arguments

And so forth, his choice. Or we can talk about something else, s'okay as long as we're in agreement and have access to the literature.

Hell, considering my level of formal education, I should be a pushover on any topic.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  20:01:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

cantbe323

Fine. How 'bout the Theory of Evolution? That's got all kinds of sciencey stuff. Open a new thread... >>

Sorry I don't relate with any kind of theory. Try geology, astronomy, paleontology, NASA, genealogy, meteorology, or prescribed drugs.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  20:16:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cantbe323:
Sorry I don't relate with any kind of theory. Try geology, astronomy, paleontology, NASA, genealogy, meteorology, or prescribed drugs.

You are so funny!!! Really. This may be the stupidest thing ever posted on the SFN forum. You're just a troll, but at least the above was good for a laugh.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  20:17:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Genealogy? Seriously? You think that the creation of human family trees is something you think would make a good debate subject?

Perhaps you meant "genetics." Regardless, the idea that most of those subjects aren't laden with theories is your ignorance on display again.

But, since you've implied that you're interested in a debate, still:

Warning Official Warning Warning

cantbe323, our regular members are clearly tired of you. Either start a serious debate on a subject of your choice, or you'll be shown the door on Friday.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  02:41:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

cantbe323

Fine. How 'bout the Theory of Evolution? That's got all kinds of sciencey stuff. Open a new thread... >>

cantbe323
Everything you've suggested, you gormless troll, relies on theory. Exactly what a scientific theory is has been explained to you several times now but you seem to lack the cognitive ability to absorb any information other than what the voices tell you. .

Ok, you've got it: Paleontology; I'll argue from the side of science. Open a thread and let's rock!

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/25/2010 02:51:19
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  13:07:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, you've got it: Paleontology; I'll argue from the side of science. Open a thread and let's rock!>>

Rock dating to estimate the age of fossils, for one thing, They use a process called radiometric dating, but there's no way to relate it with our modern meaning of time, so it's another example of scientific educated guesses. It's Okay, though. Nobody gets hurt and it's a paying occupation.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds.