New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  14:04:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by cantbe323

It isn't about crucifying the deniers.

No, it's not. But this thread is about watching the deniers crucify themselves. Because it's funny. >>

Even funnier is you standing there in awe at image of the Wizard of Oz's bells and whistles performace.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  14:22:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2008 86 evangelical pastors, including Rev. Dr.Rick Warren signed a statement titled "Climate Change: An Evangelical Call to Action", which called on Christians to acknowledge the moral importance of action to counteract man - made climate change. >>

That's a twist. Pious religion questioning God's will. The next thing they'll say is God really didn't create the universe, it's always been here in ever-changing forms and substances.

cantbe323

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  14:34:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think we should be surprised that there is snow in the winter. Snow in February does not prove there is no climate change towards a warmer climate. The lack of rain in the desert doesn't mean there will be less rain on a global scale either... >>

Yes, but when you put them all together and try to average out the exact temperature differences between each time zone, latitudes and longitudes, mountains, deserts, oceans, cities, day after day, year after year, doesn't it make you wonder how scientists could capture the the exact meaning of it all?

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  15:12:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, but when you put them all together and try to average out the exact temperature differences between each time zone, latitudes and longitudes, mountains, deserts, oceans, cities, day after day, year after year, doesn't it make you wonder how scientists could capture the the exact meaning of it all?

No. But then, I learned about averages in primary school. And I read that dreaded "methods" section in scientific papers.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  16:11:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but when you put them all together and try to average out the exact temperature differences between each time zone, latitudes and longitudes, mountains, deserts, oceans, cities, day after day, year after year, doesn't it make you wonder how scientists could capture the the exact meaning of it all? >> cantbe323

No. But then, I learned about averages in primary school. And I read that dreaded "methods" section in scientific papers. >>

Good, but you probably didn't learn how to assess thousands of data inputs at exactly the same time from sources, some reliable, some not, all over the world. Every city in the world has a data source, but that's only from one limited area inside the city and doesn't cover the in betweens which are just as important to the overall average. BTW, who's paying for all this extra data exercise?

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  16:13:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link 8

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  16:43:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The phrase global warming refers to the documented historical warming of the Earth's surface based upon worldwide temperature records that have been maintained by humans since the 1880s. >>

Still no mention on where, when, or how they assessed the data. Back in the 1880s, I doubt is they had the technical ability to amass any kind of collective worldwide data, let alone temperature average, and yet they dare to say they could and did. Up until now, I gave present scientists space because they were just following in the footprints of earlier scientists, but not now after this obvious deception.

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  17:00:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Still no mention on where, when, or how they assessed the data. Back in the 1880s, I doubt is they had the technical ability to amass any kind of collective worldwide data, let alone temperature average, and yet they dare to say they could and did. Up until now, I gave present scientists space because they were just following in the footprints of earlier scientists, but not now after this obvious deception.
Your total ignorance of what climate scientists have been doing isn't at all surprising. That you pronounce it all a "deception" based upon nothing but your ignorance isn't surprising, either. Pathetic - in that it's obvious that you can't click a link and read and learn - but not surprising.

Our knowledge of past temperatures isn't dependent upon 19th century scientists and their thermometers.

How about that debate?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  18:36:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Your total ignorance of what climate scientists have been doing isn't at all surprising. That you pronounce it all a "deception" based upon nothing but your ignorance isn't surprising, either. Pathetic - in that it's obvious that you can't click a link and read and learn - but not surprising.

Our knowledge of past temperatures isn't dependent upon 19th century scientists and their thermometers.

How about that debate?

Dave, I suspect that this is the debate, or at least the best we're going to get.

He never should have called me out if he wasn't serious about it.

Ah well, we'll see what happens.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  13:02:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still no mention on where, when, or how they assessed the data. Back in the 1880s, I doubt is they had the technical ability to amass any kind of collective worldwide data, let alone temperature average, and yet they dare to say they could and did. Up until now, I gave present scientists space because they were just following in the footprints of earlier scientists, but not now after this obvious deception. >> cantbe323

Your total ignorance of what climate scientists have been doing isn't at all surprising. That you pronounce it all a "deception" based upon nothing but your ignorance isn't surprising, either. Pathetic - in that it's obvious that you can't click a link and read and learn - but not surprising. >>

Actually, it's just more evidence of "best guess" science. Just pick a number and create a chart to prove it (up and down just like the stock market). That may be sustenance for blind, toady believers, but not me. I want credible proof that can be demonstrated and openly discussed.

Cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  14:36:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many of the pertinent links I put up have you actually opened and studied? Any at all?

Thought not, but why? Are you incapable of absorbing any information more complicated than that found in My Pet Goat? If not, where the hell do you get off claiming to be an engineer? I've worked with a fair number of engineers in my life and they tended to be pretty smart. What's your excuse for playing the dullard?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

cantbe323
Suspended

242 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  16:41:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cantbe323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you incapable of absorbing any information more complicated than that found in My Pet Goat?

Tacky, tacky...

Where the hell do you get off claiming to be an engineer? >>

I don't question your pedigree so don't question mine... OK?

I've worked with a fair number of engineers in my life and they tended to be pretty smart. >>

If true, that means you're familiar with cause/effect, proof, structure, and demonstration, so why do you continually deny what you already know?

cantbe323
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  16:55:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by me

Actually, it's just more evidence of "best guess" science.
Since you offer no other referent, I have to assume that "it" refers to "Your total ignorance," in which case it is evidence of nothing but your refusal to learn.
Just pick a number and create a chart to prove it (up and down just like the stock market).
That's really quite funny. Stock market "charts" are strictly records of facts, so you're saying that the charts provided by climate scientists are factual. Of course, that's the opposite of what you clearly wanted to say, but by picking that example, you torpedoed yourself.
That may be sustenance for blind, toady believers, but not me.
You refuse to see, cantbe, which is what makes you blind.
I want credible proof that can be demonstrated and openly discussed.
There are many thousands of pages written about the demonstrable evidence in support of anthropogenic climate change, all openly discussed. You're like a guy standing out in a torrential downpour screaming, "I'm so thirsty!"

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  17:42:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Are you incapable of absorbing any information more complicated than that found in My Pet Goat?

Tacky, tacky...

I thought so too.

Where the hell do you get off claiming to be an engineer? >>

I don't question your pedigree so don't question mine... OK?

I don't have a pedigree beyond what you will find in my profile, nor do I claim anything more than that. But I'm having some real doubts concerning yours.
I've worked with a fair number of engineers in my life and they tended to be pretty smart. >>

If true, that means you're familiar with cause/effect, proof, structure, and demonstration, so why do you continually deny what you already know?

I deny nothing that is backed up by the science nor do the actual engineers I've known. How many of the links that I've taken the time and trouble to search out for you did you open?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  04:53:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the dawn of sapience, our species has kept track of the climate. We had to; our survival depended on it. Information was passed along and recorded in journals and diaries, and ship's logs, so we have a pretty good idea of what the climate was like in the 1800s and even earlier.
Ben Franklin flew a kite to study lightning and tracked the direction of a big Nor'easter that stormed the East Coast in 1743. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson kept logs of atmospheric conditions each day at Mount Vernon and Monticello. Today, NOAA scientists and their research partners are learning more about the Earth system and the processes that contribute to the world's weather and are developing new prediction tools.

Link 13

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.