Is Ratzi History's Sorriest Pope?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  02:05:20  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pope Benedict XVI has probably apologized more often than any other Pontiff in history. He's sorry for all the following "errors":
  1. For the worldwide (continuing) sexual abuse of children by the priesthood.

2. For his having called Islam "violent." (Actually he was right when he made that observation, though thoroughly hypocritical. And Benny's apology was purely expedient.)

3. For the Catholic persecution of Orthodox Christians.

4. For "injustices" to the indigenous peoples of the Pacific.

5. For Catholic collaboration in the Holocaust.

6. For Catholic "sins" against Jews, women and minorities.

7. For persecution and burning of Jan Hus in 1415.

8. For the "cowardice" of the Church during the Holocaust.

9. For the violence of the Church against Protestants.
    during the Counter-reformation.

10. For the Church's treatment of women.

11. For the Church's role in the slave trade.

12. For condemning Galileo.

13. For getting caught doing all the above.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/21/2010 02:08:52

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  03:41:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Alexander VI was considerably worse as was Pius XII, whom our current Chief Papist was familiar with, was something of a big talker until the chips were down. Urban II and Gregory VIII were also monumental scumbags. There was also Innocent III and Gregory IX to consider -- but hey, I'll give our Benny high marks for the effort.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  08:18:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I think Alexander VI was considerably worse as was Pius XII, whom our current Chief Papist was familiar with, was something of a big talker until the chips were down. Urban II and Gregory VIII were also monumental scumbags. There was also Innocent III and Gregory IX to consider -- but hey, I'll give our Benny high marks for the effort.

Thanks for posting about those rascals. I miss your old rogue's gallery postings, Filthy.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  23:12:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he looks kinda like the emperor from Star Wars. But I don't hold that against him. I hold being catholic against him though.

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  03:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.hulu.com/watch/44119/empires-the-medici-pope#x-4,cThe%20Medici:%20Godfathers%20of%20the%20Renaissance,1,0

The Medici popes Leo X/Clement VII! Mostly for enriching themselves... (Excellent series btw)

@Alexander VI: father of Cesare Borgia, the ideal leader of The Prince

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  04:30:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

http://www.hulu.com/watch/44119/empires-the-medici-pope#x-4,cThe%20Medici:%20Godfathers%20of%20the%20Renaissance,1,0

The Medici popes Leo X/Clement VII! Mostly for enriching themselves... (Excellent series btw)

@Alexander VI: father of Cesare Borgia, the ideal leader of The Prince
When a Medici talked about "Papa," he often meant his "papa" as well.

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  16:07:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He wasn't even alive for most of these things. His family opposed the Nazis from the start (they killed one of his cousins for having Down's Syndrome).

The thing about Islam was a quote by a Byzantine emperor while Persians were sieging Constantinople. Ratzinger said during the speech that the Persian's part of the dialogue was lost. He didn't personally endorse the quote. His point was that all religious motivations for violence were wrong. It's equally valid to use Muslims sieging Constantinople as Catholics burning heretics, Crusades, etc.

The only thing on that list for which I can blame him is the sexual abuse if he did in fact choose to keep it quiet (plus the comments about condoms, but that's expected). We have no record of his reaction as far as I know other than the fact that nothing happened. If he did consciously do that, then I'll throw him under the bus too.

Mooner, the series on Luther was interesting as well.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 04/02/2010 16:08:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.