National Day of Prayer Cancellation hoax
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  07:27:06  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A rumor flying around the Internet claims that President Obama has cancelled the 2010 National Day of Prayer, scheduled for May 6. The rumor is false. The truth is that President Obama has not cancelled the National Day of Prayer.

However, unlike former President George W. Bush, President Barack Obama will not celebrate the day with a a prayer service in the east room of the White House.

The first National Prayer Day proclamation was signed into existence by President Truman. President Reagan made it a permanent occasion via a 1988 Act of Congress setting the observance on the first Thursday of every May,

Under President G.W. Bush, the day became a cynical political event, exploiting religion to further Republican politics.

The "National Day of Prayer 2010 cancelled" rumors take many forms, both pro and con. The following is a sample of rumors taken from Facebook via David Emery's Urban Legends Blog:

President Obama decided that there will no longer be a "National Day of Prayer" held in May. He doesn't want to offend anyone. Where was his concern about offending Christians last January when he allowed the Muslims to hold a day of prayer on the capitol grounds. As an American Christian "I am offended." if you agree, copy and paste ... See Moreno matter what religion you are. This country was built on freedom!

Obama cancelled the National Day of Prayer 2010. Well done Obama, well done.

Oh Our wonderful president is at it again .... he has cancelled the national day of prayer that is held at the white house every year .... sure glad I wasn't fooled into voting for him!

Wow! Last year around the time of the National Day of Prayer, Obama stated that the United States is not a Christian Nation and this year He has officially cancelled the National Day of Prayer.

According to Emery, Neither Obama nor any other White House entity stated that it was canceled so as "not to offend anybody."

The U.S. National Day of Prayer will take place as usual on May 6, 2010. The only real difference is that President Obama, unlike former President Bush, will not use the occasion to try and score cheap political points through a ceremony that really has no business being associated with the federal government.

Questions regarding this whole idea. For what possible reason would it be necessary to legislate a " National Day of Prayer" in the first place?
Can't people pray whenever they feel the need?
If the praying people want to organize a day where all like-minded people pray at the same time don't they have every right to do so without getting the government involved?
Who is benefiting from the spread of this hoax that it has been cancelled?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  07:57:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were a cynical man, I'd suggest that it was conceived by one or more of the teabaggers. Oh hell, I'm at least that cynical and thought "teabagger!" as soon as I heard the rumor. How they gave it the legs it has, I couldn't say. Strange days, these.

Welcome to SFN, Ebone4rock!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  09:37:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That rumor seems to have sprung up right after the National Day of Prayer was ruled unconstitutional. From that, I would guess that the originator of the rumor was massively ignorant about the lawsuit, since Obama is named as a defendant. Once started, anyone with a political axe to grind could use it however they liked, from "this is further proof that Obama is the antichrist" to "this is further proof that Obama is way cool."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  10:22:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, sorry about that. I should have done my homework and saw there was already a recent post about the same subject.
Shame on me.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  11:25:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just so you know, I wasn't criticizing you for starting another thread on this.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:06:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew that. I was criticizing myself!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:10:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, sorry.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.