Religion
 Mom Protests, Target's Pro Gay Hate Support
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  11:33:25  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Standing on principal and aiming at Targets' Gregg Steinhafel (Chairman, President and CEO), Mark Schindele (Senior Vice President) and Targets' profits, Randi Reitan the mother of a gay son, took their issue public and staged her own protest.
From the article:
"Last week Randi staged her own personal protest at her local Target store in Eden Prairie, MN. With a camera following her, she purchased more than $200 worth of goods and then immediately returned them—(while explaining to the store manager why she did so."
More power to her and her message.

For earlier background, another article on "change.org" which is also taking signatures and support wrote.
Retail giant Target has given $150,000 to a political candidate in Minnesota, Tom Emmer, who has ties to a radical Christian rock band, You Can Run But You Cannot Hide, that has called for gays and lesbians to be murdered. The money, given by Target to a political action committee known as Minnesota Forward, has made its way to the Emmer campaign, despite Emmer's closeness with the anti-gay group.

What makes this move all the more troubling is that Target openly markets to the LGBT community, and has previously incorporated a number of LGBT-specific corporate policies. For them to filter money, let alone such a high amount, to an organization funding a candidate with ties to an anti-gay hate group flies in the face of their corporate practice, and sends a message that a politics based on fear and hatred toward LGBT people is acceptable.

Please email Target today to demand that they stop funding political candidates with a track record that runs counter to LGBT equality.

I hope this takes wing and flies. Target should be ashamed to give so much money, any money for such disgusting principals and beliefs. Shame on TARGET STORES. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS

Edited by - sailingsoul on 08/05/2010 11:34:05

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  11:40:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hope this takes wing and flies. Target should be ashamed to give so much money, any money for such disgusting principals and beliefs. Shame on TARGET STORES. SS

I do not see any evidence that Target was aware of this fellow's ties to the rock band and that they were aware of the anti-gay stance that the band takes.....or did I miss something?

Quite frankly I don't see why people get so upset, the more guys running around sodomizing each other....THE MORE CHICKS FOR THE REST OF US!

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  13:13:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://jaysays.com/2010/08/target-ceo-is-genuinely-sorry-for-anti-lgbt-contribution/

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  15:06:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglas

http://jaysays.com/2010/08/target-ceo-is-genuinely-sorry-for-anti-lgbt-contribution/

That was a fairly 'good' non-excuse.
The damage is done, and I think the LGBT-community is right in demanding more than just the words "Going forward, we will soon begin a strategic review and analysis of our decision-making process for financial contributions in the public policy arena." As if that would make everything alright.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  18:06:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglas

Ebone, I too can see that the "gay hate" charge is a bit remote, now that you pointed it out. If they weren't aware of the once or twice removed association, I don't read it in their reply clearly enough. Others might, I'm listening, did they? I think they should have stated so if that was the case. That was the the point of the protest. To make public for scrutiny their contribution to MN Forward and this alluded connection.

Dglas's link of Target's reply is not for or to the general public and their customers who are the source of the money, presumably. The apology letter was addressed to "Dear Target Leaders" and it said in part "I realize our decision affected many of you in a way I did not anticipate, and for that I am genuinely sorry". This is an apology? I read it as an expression or sorrow for how the "Target Leaders" were affected in a way "(he) did not anticipate", to use his words. others many be different but when you hear "I'm sorry you feel that way", that is not an apology. "I'm sorry for what I have done" is an apology. There is a difference to me.
Look I not making Target out to be evil or not, their own actions will determine that. They made a substantial bribe special gift a political contribution, one that the Supreme court decided to give a green light to allowing earlier this year, by the way. I see this as a first cannon shot at any corporation who wishes to start using their money for whatever cause they choose. If they wish to support, with cash, they now know they are being watched. At least the ones that are paying attention. If they want to avoid not being caught up in this kind of business, they're in control because they write the check.
I'm wondering if any organization whether it's MN Forward or another, that have more than one benefactor will become the recipients of corporate money because they can avoid the ownership of directly donating a cause that is not approved by some of their customers or greater society. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 08/05/2010 18:09:54
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  23:28:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Countdown's coverage of the story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgkCr8mzc4U

The video of Reitan was made by The Uptake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SipXbgyi68

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.