Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  04:09:42  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take a look at this young woman's story.http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/27/georgia-university-tells-student-lose-religion-lawsuit-claims/?test=faces

"[Augusta State University] faculty have promised to expel Miss Keeton from the graduate Counselor Education Program not because of poor academic showing or demonstrated deficiencies in clinical performance, but simply because she has communicated both inside and outside the classroom that she holds to Christian ethical convictions on matters of human sexuality and gender identity," the 43-page lawsuit reads.

While I wholeheartedly disagree with her position on homosexuality I also don't think it's right to expell the girl because of it. Besides, she's a pretty girl and I think pretty girls should be able to get away with everything.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  05:22:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears to me the young lady wasn't expelled from the university per se, but merely from the Counselor Education Program. And I think that its a good thing, since she's wasting a seat that would be better occupied by someone who hasn't prejudged the very people she would be expected to help.

A bigot like that should be kept away from public jobs in which people are supposed to be helped, not reviled. So why waste public tax money by teaching her to be a counselor? It would be like how Disco's Jonathan Wells took advantage of the University of California to get a degree in biology, just so he could wave his sheepskin about as he fought science. We don't need to pay public money to support religious bigots.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/28/2010 05:25:27
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  05:30:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but Halfmooner...she's totally hot!

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  05:45:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Well, okay, I take it all back.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  06:41:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Well, okay, I take it all back.

Ebone, it is said that inside every man is a little boy. You make me think in some men there is also a little chimp. Oh yes! SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  07:09:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More on topic, why should theists get to be such hypocrites and treat others with contempt, justified by a delusion. This piece of shit should crawl under the the church she goes to and stay sequestered from the public. I would say she needs a big scarlet letter "A" tattooed on her forehead so civil people know right off she's an asshole but she obviously get's that across effectively without it. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  07:27:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

More on topic, why should theists get to be such hypocrites and treat others with contempt, justified by a delusion. This piece of shit should crawl under the the church she goes to and stay sequestered from the public. I would say she needs a big scarlet letter "A" tattooed on her forehead so civil people know right off she's an asshole but she obviously get's that across effectively without it. SS

Harsh!

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  07:37:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...she'll be dismissed from the program unless she alters her "central religious beliefs on human nature and conduct,

My understanding is that she is not required to, as suggested in the above quote, change her beliefs about anything. What has been required is that she takes some further sessions in understanding the very people she is supposed to be helping (e.g. homosexuals). If this also requires her to change her conduct (but not belief), then so be it.

Edited to add: she IS hot.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Edited by - Hawks on 07/28/2010 07:38:28
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  09:23:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All you SFN testosterone-excess challenged rutting goats....

1. Only 33% of her is visible in the picture. How do you know how hot she is?

2. All - even pneumatic blondes, which we may or may not be dealing with here - Christian evangelical females are ice queens until first orgasm. Ebone's concept of fornication cures all ills definitely applies to this case in point.. Once initiated into the joys of carnality, there is hope for emancipation of mind as well as body for the frigid religionist in (or out of) fox's clothing!

3. All in all, the lady might present a delightful challenge for persuasion to rationality via personal training.

What I can see does look hot!
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  10:15:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

All you SFN testosterone-excess challenged rutting goats....

1. Only 33% of her is visible in the picture. How do you know how hot she is?

2. All - even pneumatic blondes, which we may or may not be dealing with here - Christian evangelical females are ice queens until first orgasm. Ebone's concept of fornication cures all ills definitely applies to this case in point.. Once initiated into the joys of carnality, there is hope for emancipation of mind as well as body for the frigid religionist in (or out of) fox's clothing!

3. All in all, the lady might present a delightful challenge for persuasion to rationality via personal training.

What I can see does look hot!

A bonus is that there would be no homosexuality involved in her conversion.

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  11:35:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ebone.....

A bonus is that there would be no homosexuality involved in her conversion.
You make assumptions about my gender!

Just kidding. Actually, at my age I become more asexual by the day. However, like Jimmy Carter;
my, how I lust in my mind!! If the DOM syndrome did not already exist, I would certainly invent the concept!

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  11:44:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strange really, It seems logical to me to assume that anyone who defines themselves as a Christian should automatically be assumed to conform to Christian ethical convictions. So the major problem seems to be that she dared to openly declare her convictions.

The student, Jennifer Keeton, 24, has been pursuing a master's degree in school counseling at Augusta State University since 2009, but school officials have informed her that she'll be dismissed from the program unless she alters her "central religious beliefs on human nature and conduct,"

This seems to be pretty outrageous, I don't see how an educational facility can demand that someone change their beliefs, what happened to freedom? You are free to believe what you like but don't expect an education? Is this how it works now?

Also I don't think she's very attractive, she has a man-jaw.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  12:01:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Fussy!

OFFC,
Maybe you can help me understand a bit how the subject of homosexuality is understood by Christians.
If I understand correctly Jesus wants people to love and be kind to one another regardless of the differences between people. How does Jesus' message translate to "except homosexuals"?

I am not assuming your stance on homosexuality either way. I am just hoping maybe you can provide some insight on what seems to me to be contradictory trains of thought.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  12:52:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if you go off actual scripture, which you really should since it's right there in black and white. It's really not mentioned very much at all. It states quite clearly in Levicticus that you can't be gay and get into heaven. But most of Levicticus is ignored by Modern day Christians. If you prefer the new testament, it's mentioned in Romans that it's a shameful thing, but doesn't go into too much detail on how bad exactly it is. Some things are frowned upon in religion without being outright prohibited.

I don't know why people think Jesus is loving and kind and therefore loves every human behaviour, he quite clearly states he's not here to abolish the old laws. Which shows he believes in certain standards of human conduct. If someone wishes to be a good Christian but has homosexual urges, then simply do not act on those urges. It's much the same as coveting your neighbours wife. It's a pretty hard thing to do if your neighbour has an attractive wife and yours has a man-jaw. But it isn't meant to be easy. Religion sometimes goes against human nature. Going against our natural tendencies is what separates us from animals.

That being said I really have no problem with gay people, they can do what they like for all I care. Transgender people don't bother me too much either but I disagree that you can legally change your sex from male to female, when in reality you're a man with a mutilated penis on oestrogen.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 07/28/2010 12:52:29
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  13:01:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's much the same as coveting your neighbours wife. It's a pretty hard thing to do if your neighbour has an attractive wife and yours has a man-jaw.

Thank you OFFC. You did give me a very good understanding.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  13:23:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ
This seems to be pretty outrageous, I don't see how an educational facility can demand that someone change their beliefs, what happened to freedom? You are free to believe what you like but don't expect an education? Is this how it works now?
I agree that expecting her to change her beliefs is outrageous. But I do think if her religious beliefs interfered with her ability to perform a specific job, then she shouldn't expect to remain in that position.

Yeah, I get a strong "Ann Coulter" vibe from her photo.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.