Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  19:33:32  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to PZ Myers, here's a link to the Republican Party's America Speaking Out site.

Essentially, the Republicans have invited everyone to express themselves about everything that's bugging them, without any constraints aside from foul language filtering.

The resulting site is a madhouse of gibbering Teabagger bigotry and hilarious liberal Poe. As PZ says, "The results are predictable: complete chaos. Teabaggers are raving, liberal saboteurs are inserting all kinds of crazy suggestions, and you can't tell them apart."

Here's some choice quotes that PZ collected:
A 'teacher' told my child in class that dolphins were mammals and not fish! And the same thing about whales! We need TRADITIONAL VALUES in all areas of education. If it swims in the water, it is a FISH. Period! End of Story.

Require all Muslims in the U.S. to wear ankle bracelet transponders so we know where the terrorists are at all times.

We should administer capital punishment to anyone who has an abortion. In order to cut costs that the death penalty normally entails, we will have lax gun laws that will allow people to obtain guns with greater ease. Then we would allow the "free-market" to dictate whose philosophy wins out - the liberals irrational philosophy or our logical and God following philosophy. Liberals who have abortions would be taken care of by a militia of the willing who will get rid of all liberals who take the life others irrationally and will allow us to remove all of our opponents to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

all leaders should proclaim faith in Jesus Christ. anyone who does not, like muslims and atheists should be removed from office.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  21:13:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"'America Speaking Out' is supported by Taxpayers Like You. Thank You".

http://crooksandliars.com/kombiz/how-tax-payers-are-bailing-out-gop-because

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  22:35:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by podcat

"'America Speaking Out' is supported by Taxpayers Like You. Thank You".

http://crooksandliars.com/kombiz/how-tax-payers-are-bailing-out-gop-because
Oh, and now I'm the moneybags behind that monstrosity? Great. Somebody shoot me before I give another Teabagger bigot a platform for his hate.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  05:13:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

We should administer capital punishment to anyone who has an abortion. In order to cut costs that the death penalty normally entails, we will have lax gun laws that will allow people to obtain guns with greater ease. Then we would allow the "free-market" to dictate whose philosophy wins out - the liberals irrational philosophy or our logical and God following philosophy. Liberals who have abortions would be taken care of by a militia of the willing who will get rid of all liberals who take the life others irrationally and will allow us to remove all of our opponents to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Holy Crap! These are the thoughts actually rattling around in someone's head? Abortion is murder, but killing liberals is not.

Edited: Reading the comments over at PZ's people are suggesting Poe's law on this one. But having been in similar discussion with the batshit crazy... Too tough to tell... Or is it just me?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 05/27/2010 05:29:36
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  06:33:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Edited: Reading the comments over at PZ's people are suggesting Poe's law on this one. But having been in similar discussion with the batshit crazy... Too tough to tell... Or is it just me?
That's the definition of Poe's Law: that it's impossible to tell.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  06:54:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading that website for a while I have come to the conclusion that we are doomed.
From now on I don't give a shit about anyone but my family.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  10:14:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

After reading that website for a while I have come to the conclusion that we are doomed.
From now on I don't give a shit about anyone but my family.

That's the ticket Ebone. I don't get your logic but your not alone around here, I've noticed. Don't act and be proactive, react and be inactive. Come September don't vote either, you have that right use it. Crawl under a rock where those who drive you there want to keep you. Bush calls that "mission accomplished".

It's obvious to me why liberals are such losers politically. When it comes to being master chefs cooking it up in politics and life, liberals avoid the very hot stove and deep fryer. Only preparing vegetarian cold plates or steamed veggie's. You don't win a war if you send in children who were brought up being told make love not war. They will die. Those who aren't killed and their families become the drones who get the scraps and man the factories. I don't have any kids for, republicans to feed on for their protein rich diet or to be served up on a platter to their children.

You think the republican party are a bunch of wackaloones? Their running the show as I see it, further entrenching those who pull their strings via the media. I could say more but like you I'm thinking why bother but altogether for different reasons. Under a rock is the very best place to be for some creatures, they survive very well there.

Have you ever wondered, there must be a reasons why things are the way they are? As with boating your biggest threat may not be on the surface but below the surface. You'll never see if you don't look for it. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 05/27/2010 10:20:43
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  10:15:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may have a point, SS, but one should take into account that we can get burned out dealing with this stuff. It's not necessarily that we always just sit on the sidelines.

In real fighting, soldiers experience that kind of burnout too.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  10:27:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't act and be proactive, react and be inactive

What would the point of being active be? There's just too much to fight through for anything to be accomplished.*

I know it might be different for the big city dwellers but it would be totally easy for me to just turn off the T.V., radio, and internet and not have to deal with any of it. My home, which would be very easy for me to return to, is quite isolated from the outside world. So why should I give a shit what is happening in the big cities?*

Do these thoughts make me an ostrich hiding my head in the sand or one of the very few who are allowed to live the American dream?*

*please take these thoughts for the semi-facetious thoughts that they are

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  10:39:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Don't act and be proactive, react and be inactive

What would the point of being active be? There's just too much to fight through for anything to be accomplished.*

I know it might be different for the big city dwellers but it would be totally easy for me to just turn off the T.V., radio, and internet and not have to deal with any of it. My home, which would be very easy for me to return to, is quite isolated from the outside world. So why should I give a shit what is happening in the big cities?*

Do these thoughts make me an ostrich hiding my head in the sand or one of the very few who are allowed to live the American dream?*

*please take these thoughts for the semi-facetious thoughts that they are

The problem with that is simple to explain.

A friend of mine at work describes the US like this: You have 20million assholes on the right-wing who are always yelling and fighting with the 20 million assholes on the left. The other 250million of us would just like to be left alone and do our jobs and raise our families or whatever it is we want to do.

While that isn't specifically accurate, it does make a point. All those people who just want to be left alone.... their apathy and inactivity is the reason why our politics are so polarized.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  10:57:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While that isn't specifically accurate, it does make a point. All those people who just want to be left alone.... their apathy and inactivity is the reason why our politics are so polarized.

For what reason should the apathetic care? If the 20 million assholes on each side want to fight each other then let them at it. I'll just hang out , drink beer, listen to Jimmy Buffet, and be happy.

I'm not buying that the apathetic are the reason things are polarized.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  11:07:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm not buying that the apathetic are the reason things are polarized.
If the apathetic middle aren't talking, then the only people with microphones are those at the extremes. The apathetic should care because the extremists are making decisions on their behalf, and thus not letting them just relax with beer and Buffet.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  11:19:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah but Dave, the apathetic are busy being happy! Why should they make themselves miserable?

I think it's more of the fact that the extremes feel the need to be bickering about making other people see things their way that is the problem.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  12:05:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ah but Dave, the apathetic are busy being happy!
No, they're busy being apathetic.
Why should they make themselves miserable?
Because if they don't, someone else will.
I think it's more of the fact that the extremes feel the need to be bickering about making other people see things their way that is the problem.
The problem is that they escalate from there to getting people who see things their way into elected office.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  12:55:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It is entirely possible for apathy and happiness to go hand-in-hand.

Not necessarily. My anecdotal evidence being my own hometown. I could go back there and the only contact I would have with the government would be paying my taxes and hunting and fishing licenses. I could go fishing and hunting without ever being interupted except maybe for the DNR....and I know all those guys. What's going to happen? Someone's going to come rolling in with tanks or something?

The problem is that they escalate from there to getting people who see things their way into elected office.

Yes, that is the problem with the squeeky wheels getting the grease...but who cares as long as I don't have to deal with them?

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  13:18:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It is entirely possible for apathy and happiness to go hand-in-hand.

Not necessarily. My anecdotal evidence being my own hometown. I could go back there and the only contact I would have with the government would be paying my taxes and hunting and fishing licenses. I could go fishing and hunting without ever being interupted except maybe for the DNR....and I know all those guys. What's going to happen? Someone's going to come rolling in with tanks or something?

Yes, that is the problem with the squeeky wheels getting the grease...but who cares as long as I don't have to deal with them?

"If you chose not to decide you still have made a choice"

Corny but classic Rush lyrics.....I always liked them.

Indecision means having decisions made for you. You might believe your isolated and certainly you (and I) are more than most.....but it is all interconnected. Maybe.....just maybe it won't affect you directly. Maybe it will directly affect your children.....or theirs.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds.