Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  13:23:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Bob Lloyd

One of the funniest claims I've seen is that magnet therapy increases circulation because blood contains iron. Two problems immediately come to mind about this suggestion. Firstly, if blood was magnetic (and in fact it isn't), holding a magnet would tend to produce a bruise because the iron would draw the blood towards the magnetic source.
The first thing I always think of in response to that claim is that people getting MRIs would explode if their blood were magnetic.

Oh. I'm going to remember that one...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Bob Lloyd
Skeptic Friend

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  06:52:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bob Lloyd's Homepage Send Bob Lloyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

The problem is that I think he would be upset with me for doubting the power of the bracelet.

That's always the way with challenging irrational beliefs. I've found it useful to invite them to think about the implications and to decide whether it is likely or not to be true. With the magnets, I have a friend who has a cupboard full of them. I asked why she needed to buy another one if the first one worked and when she said she was told the new one was better, I asked her to describe her doubt.

She admitted that she wasn't sure but she was sold it because the woman was convincing. So then we talked about what would be needed to convince her to buy another one... Pretty soon, the point was made but not explicitly by me. Using searching questions helps the individual question the beliefs for themselves.

There are people who refuse to countenance that woo nonsense is a scam. I have a good friend who passionately believes in homeopathy and nothing I say will get her to question it. But every time she has a cold I raise an eyebrow and elicit a smile.

I'm a lot less charitable when I see people selling the stuff though. Then I demand evidence and ask them how I can tell their stuff is not a fraud! If they are willing to discuss the issue then I'm happy too as well, but if not then I'll settle for putting off potential customers.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Lloyd
Skeptic Friend

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  07:03:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bob Lloyd's Homepage Send Bob Lloyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think one of the most important things skeptics do is to talk to non-skeptics. Although talking to like-minded folks is reassuring and supportive, change comes about when the woo merchants are challenged and their potential customers are informed. For me, that means challenging website claims, questioning dodgy courses and qualifications, putting out information about human biology, and also socially not going along with the alt-med fads and the silly diets.

It doesn't have to be aggressive either. People who are misinformed are not guilty of anything, and people who are gullible are simply doing the best they can with inadequate resources. Socially for example, if someone says they've taken a homeopathic remedy, you can ask how they tell if it is working. When they say they feel better, you simply ask them if they have ever felt better without taking a remedy. You can encourage people to think rationally without metaphorically hitting them on the nose. Remember, if you push people they will dig their heels in, but if you pull them they will often come willingly.

It can often be counter-productive to ridicule naïve beliefs but equally it can often be difficult discussing wacky ideas with believers without showing contempt for them. I believe strongly that ideas do not deserve any respect, but people do. Putting that into practice can be difficult in my experience.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.