Another step in the right direction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  04:20:23  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/23/connecticut-school-removes-lord-reference-high-school-diplomas/?test=latestnews

I like it, I like it a lot.....but some people still just can't understand
“I do believe that it’s a travesty to keep removing the Lord’s name,” the mother of three told FOX News Radio. “I believe that our nation was founded on the principles of belief in God, and our Founding Fathers made sure it was incorporated into every document that they produced.”

“This is political correctness gone mad,” said Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League. “What this New Haven school is doing is more than a detour from our moorings, it is unconscionable; attempts to scrub clean any reference to our founding is a disservice to the students and their community.”

So my question for them is....When did the founding fathers design this high schools diplomas?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

Edited by - Ebone4rock on 06/24/2010 04:22:17

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  07:12:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/23/connecticut-school-removes-lord-reference-high-school-diplomas/?test=latestnews

I like it, I like it a lot.....but some people still just can't understand
“I do believe that it’s a travesty to keep removing the Lord’s name,” the mother of three told FOX News Radio. “I believe that our nation was founded on the principles of belief in God, and our Founding Fathers made sure it was incorporated into every document that they produced.”

“This is political correctness gone mad,” said Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League. “What this New Haven school is doing is more than a detour from our moorings, it is unconscionable; attempts to scrub clean any reference to our founding is a disservice to the students and their community.”

So my question for them is....When did the founding fathers design this high schools diplomas?

Oh yeah, the usual suspects are going to go beyond batshit-insane and into the realms of howling at the moon at noon over this! A step in the right direction, certainly. Dontcha just love it when they go all apoplectic and stuff?

The "Year of our Lord" dates back to the early Catholic Church as a sort of a way to give documents some official weight. Of course, people being what they are, it soon became merel s custom and as easily ignored as any other.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  09:51:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who cares. How does this affect anybodies right to religious freedom? I bet none of those people complaining even knew or cared if it said that or not on the diploma's before the story came out. I cannot tell you what my HS diploma says and I don't think Jesus cares either.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  10:06:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Who cares. How does this affect anybodies right to religious freedom? I bet none of those people complaining even knew or cared if it said that or not on the diploma's before the story came out. I cannot tell you what my HS diploma says and I don't think Jesus cares either.

Apparently the religious folks do. They can't understand that they are free to express their religion all they want at home, at church, or pretty much wherever they want other than publicly funded institutions. They don't get it.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  10:16:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Originally posted by Robb

Apparently the religious folks do. They can't understand that they are free to express their religion all they want at home, at church, or pretty much wherever they want other than publicly funded institutions. They don't get it.
They can express their religion in public institutions they just cannot make it part of that institution.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  21:17:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It still puts a year on it from the Christian calendar :)

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  07:46:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll say this Robb, at least you're being reasonable about this. Not at all like the fundy types I regularly deal with!

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 06/25/2010 07:47:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.