whaddafork?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  07:05:43  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been trying to post a fairly long screed in C/E and keep getting a time expired. How come?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  07:49:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I've been trying to post a fairly long screed in C/E and keep getting a time expired. How come?

We have been experiencing a problem with the forum. It's are being worked on.

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13286#181865

This has been going on for a couple of months now. I'm amazed that it took this long for it to bite you, given how often you post.

If you follow my instructions at the above link (it's a pain in the ass) you can get your thing posted.

Sorry about that. But as I said, the problem is being worked on.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  12:18:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kil. This isn't anything like progressive legislation trying to get through a corrupt and venial Congress, so I'll let it sit a spell.

When it finally gets put up, you might enjoy it. Others will not.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  12:49:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Thanks Kil. This isn't anything like progressive legislation trying to get through a corrupt and venial Congress, so I'll let it sit a spell.

When it finally gets put up, you might enjoy it. Others will not.

I probably made it sound more difficult than it is to post what you have. I have had to do what I described several times. It's annoying, but not all that hard. The reason I'm saying this is we have had this problem for over two months (maybe longer) and while the people from the server are trying to track it down, who knows how long it will take? I'm looking forward to reading it.

Also, if it would make a good article, as many of your thread posts would, you can send it to Dave and we can post it that way. Something to think about, eh?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  15:54:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy, if you email it to me as a plain-text attachment, I can make the right modifications to it so that it'll post, and send that back to you.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  03:15:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

filthy, if you email it to me as a plain-text attachment, I can make the right modifications to it so that it'll post, and send that back to you.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

This is hardly worthy of article status. It is merely a somewhat venomous attack on some of the ridiculous statements put forth by Brian Thomas, one of ICR's more entertaining liars.

I've tried to do it Kil's way and found (I think) the paragraph the problem is in, but couldn't seem to get it straightened out -- I've admitted before that I am a hopeless computer-cretin.

I've got it in a word document with the forum codes already in place (the links need to be tested) but I'm not sure how to attach it to an SFN e-mail. Should I send it as the text of a message?

Anyhow, it ain't all that big of a deal. It's not going anywhere and neither is Mr. Thomas. If you don't feel like messing with it, s'ok. It'll wait.

Many thanks...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  04:19:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could send it to me as a PM, also.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  04:44:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

You could send it to me as a PM, also.
That wuld make it much easier, for me anyway. Take cover, I'm digging it out now!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  06:17:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that this was understood when I described what happened to me but I'd think it could be relevant. So I'll say it again. I typed up two paragraphs and had that problem. I never had to go through the process described by Kil to find the offending character. I was able to post the first paragraph but was not able to add the second one in the same entry but I was able to post the second paragraph as a separate reply. The point being that the cause of the problem hindered posting one way and not the other. I find that curious and a possible clue, viewed as a non-programmer. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.