5-Hour Energy Shots: scam?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  11:35:13  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been doing some reading about these 5 hour energy drinkshttp://www.5hourenergy.com/ that I see at the gas station selling for $3.99 per 2 oz bottle. The only thing I see in the ingredients that would have anything to do with giving energy would be caffiene.

Here is the ingredient list from their website:
What is in 5-Hour Energy?
5-Hour Energy contains a blend of B-vitamins, amino acids and essential nutrients. It contains zero sugar, zero herbal stimulants and only four calories. The amount of caffeine varies depending on the energy shot. Original 5-Hour Energy contains as much caffeine as a cup of premium coffee. Extra Strength contains as much as 12 ounces of premium coffee, while Decaf 5-Hour Energy contains only as much caffeine as a half cup of decaffeinated coffee.

Sounds like a good deal....for the sellers. I wonder if consumers realize that they can get a couple of weeks worth real delicious coffee for the same price they pay for this one tiny shot of caffiene.

Thoughts?

edited to add link

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

Edited by - Ebone4rock on 07/23/2010 07:00:28

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  12:08:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I buy 100mg caffeine pills at the local pharmacy for those instances I need some extra kick out of my mug of tea (I don't drink coffee because it upsets my stomach these days). Or flush down two pills with some Red Bull (or similar generic) those days I have to start work at 06:00 and I didn't get a decent half-a-night's sleep.

Edited to add: So, I agree, it's definitely a scam.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 07/22/2010 12:11:20
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  12:19:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found what looks like a good study.http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/2008/5-HourEnergy.htm

I like this in particular
After trying 5-Hour Energy, I believe that a better recommendation for a long-lasting energy fix would be a peanut butter sandwich and a small glass of orange juice. With high levels of protein and carbohydrates, this snack could effectively address the claims of the 5-Hour Energy product in a natural way without having to worry about the inclusion of uncertain quantities of caffeine and other potentially harmful substances.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  12:22:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I buy 100mg caffeine pills at the local pharmacy for those instances I need some extra kick out of my mug of tea (I don't drink coffee because it upsets my stomach these days). Or flush down two pills with some Red Bull (or similar generic) those days I have to start work at 06:00 and I didn't get a decent half-a-night's sleep.

Edited to add: So, I agree, it's definitely a scam.

Life without coffee?!? Just thinking about it gives me withdrawls.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  04:59:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still drink coffee, but rarely on weekdays. A mug or two in the weekend, which also allows me to have some scotch in it. Another upside is that I can buy more expensive stuff without a bad conscience.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  05:49:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't know if I'd call it a scam outright. Only because it not like magnetic 'energy bracelets', 'shoe inserts' or 'mattress covers', sold with health benefits lies. People spend $4+ for a Star Bucks Coffee. That's to much for a simple flavor and energy fix in my book but millions disagree everyday. Is it worth the trade? Not for my money. Does this product not give an energy boost? Is it over priced? That's a individual matter, based on results and budget. Everyone spends money unwisely nearly every day, on items they don't really need or can do without. Like Bottled water. I see this as no different. Another marketing home run. As a bona fide scam, I think it falls short. imo SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  06:23:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebone4rock:
(I'm not providing a link because I don't want to be a spammer)

After 329 posts at SFN, and because you have asked a "skeptical" question about a product, no administrator or moderator here would consider your providing a link in the OP, spamming. Just saying...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  06:54:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My advice is to always provide a link where applicable. Can't hurt and it will help make your case. Besides, it's not as if the mods could reach through the monitor and strangle anybody (bet they wish they could sometimes!).

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  06:57:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Ebone4rock:
(I'm not providing a link because I don't want to be a spammer)

After 329 posts at SFN, and because you have asked a "skeptical" question about a product, no administrator or moderator here would consider your providing a link in the OP, spamming. Just saying...

Well thanks Kil. I will keep that in mind for next time. I will normally err on the side of caution. I'm not always sure what protocol is.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  07:05:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5hour energy is just an expensive caffeine shot. I wouldn't call it a scam, just overpriced (like all energy drinks are really).

Does it live up to the hype and it's own claims? Not in my experience. It does give you a caffeine boost though.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  07:15:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

5hour energy is just an expensive caffeine shot. I wouldn't call it a scam, just overpriced (like all energy drinks are really).

Does it live up to the hype and it's own claims? Not in my experience. It does give you a caffeine boost though.

Yep, I guess scam would be the wrong word.....or would it?

I dunno. It cost me about $.50 to brew a pot of freshly ground Columbian coffee this morning. My wife and I were bouncing off the walls. I know that shit works!

Compared to that $2.99-$3.99 for a teeny bottle sounds like a scam.

Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  07:31:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take one when I drive to my vacation spot in NC from MA. You get a definite kick but I would contend with the no crashing claim. You do come down. My last time was nasty. The effect wore off when I was lost in DC at 3:00AM.

Natural sugars are better. I travel with a bag of grapes or other fruit.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  07:51:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is not just a caffeine high, there is a ton of B-vitamins in there as well. It is trying to combine the caffeine high will helping your body unlock it's energy reserves I think.

Personally I would rather drink a low key Cranenergy or Vitamin water, gives me energy without feeling like I need to run a race.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

cjsks

1 Post

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  09:00:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send cjsks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's a scam... do you really expect to get a good deal on something that's sitting on the check-out counter? Wal-mart has 6-packs for under $10 IIRC.

I drink half a bottle (1 oz.) first thing in the morning. SO a 6-pack lasts me almost 2 weeks. Definitely gives me more of a boost than coffee. It doesn't make me jittery, it's easier, works better, and doesn't stain my teeth like coffee.

That sounded like a commercial. Call it a scam if you want, but the stuff works for me, plain and simple. And if you are paying $3.99 for a single bottle, then you're just a knucklehead.
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  09:23:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

From the web:
Top 10 Reasons You know you have had Too Much Caffeine:
1. You can jump-start your car without cables.
2. You lick your coffeepot clean.
3. Your eyes stay open when you sneeze.
4. You see nothing wrong with using water joe to make the coffee you use to take your no-doze.
5. You have to drink some form of caffeinated beverage just to sleep.
6. You don't sweat, you percolate.
7. You grind your coffee beans in your mouth.
8. You get a speeding ticket even when you're parked
9. Juan Valdez names his donkey after you.
10. You know from experience caffeine tablets don't dissolve in cola.

Hmmm... coffee buzz

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  10:50:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't specify which particular amino acids, but I'm going to guess at Taurine.
B vits and Taurine are ubiquitous in energy drinks these days. Although I don't think they have any proven energy boosting effects. There's probably dozens of drinks with similar ingredients out there at the moment.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.