Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  12:28:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hum.....

I made my point, I think, and am content to let him gurgle on harmlessly.
Thanks for the abdication, it's a hot day and the closing of your pie-hole has made it more pleasant!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  12:51:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Doesn't mean that they deserve lobotomizing.
No, but they certainly deserve a hyperbolic trope alluding to their cognitive deficiency, which was my effort.
I thought that Crackergate was pretty effective in that it prompted some loons among both theists and atheists to break cover and show their real selves.
PZ is a genius with a bloodhound's instinct for hypocrisy, deception, and hocus-pocus like the "flesh of Christ" scam. He is a rare gem in a field of pebbles.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  13:11:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Yeah, but poor or even damaging pedagogy is not analogous to a book-burning. One doesn't need to burn books to teach kids wrong stuff.
To me, the burning of books of science, although trivial in actual consequences would make a similar pedagogical statement of abject ignorance and aversion to reason that The Texas Board of Education displayed in mandating Creationism bullshit in Texas' schools textbooks. I certainly grant you that book-burning is an utterly ineffectual activity and that's why I labled it sophomoric and stupid.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  13:26:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

PZ is a genius with a bloodhound's instinct for hypocrisy, deception, and hocus-pocus like the "flesh of Christ" scam. He is a rare gem in a field of pebbles.
So you're saying that PZ is an exception to your rule that an image defilement is an ineffective, sophomoric, stupid act of aggression?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  13:57:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hum.....

Your post still serves as a great example of a bad, emotionally-manipulative style of argumentation that skeptics would be wise to avoid.
Well, I am pleased to be of service to the posting community of SFN. I was only able to achieve this pinnacle of great examples of bad posting by closely emulating the insult-laced, attack mode of my favorite poster-boy, Humbert Humbert, and I want to thank him for providing such an excellent paradigm to pursue.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  14:19:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lessee, where were we before the thread evolved into compost? Ah yes; book-burning. I really don't care what cult is burning whick books. Historically, the public burning of books has never been particularly effectual and often produces the opposite of the effect desired.

In this instance, however, it has worked without a match being struck. Pastor Jones has published a squeal for attention. and he's got it. The fact that most of it is derogatory, even jeering, matters not at all.

Anybody else suspect that this foolishness will get a last minute cancellation?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  14:46:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Lessee, where were we before the thread evolved into compost? Ah yes; book-burning. I really don't care what cult is burning whick books. Historically, the public burning of books has never been particularly effectual and often produces the opposite of the effect desired

How's 'bout burning Disco records? I remember seeing video of people burning them at a baseball field somewhere. Disco never came back.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  14:49:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody else suspect that this foolishness will get a last minute cancellation?
That's not a bad bet.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  15:01:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave......

So you're saying that PZ is an exception to your rule that an image defilement is an ineffective, sophomoric, stupid act of aggression?
Certainly! PZ's targets are diametrically opposed to those of fundamentalists and Christian crackpot Catholics - it's pretty clear that his targets are largely those very people! I'm not aware of PZ's advocacy of any form of book burning, but if it exists, it would surprise me!
bng
My point being that any book burning is an act of sophomoric stupidity...
and
bng
But at best, the primitive symbolism of book burning, effigy immolation, image defilement, or swastika graffiti and the like is as simplistic an act of aggression and ego expression as a dog peeing on a lamp post.
I certainly stated that all book burning is idiotic, but I did not indict all image defilement!

Good try, though, Dave!
bng
Also about as effective.
Shitting on a star and crescent flag is probably about as weak a blow to militant Islam as the act of drawing an erect penis on an image of Christ damages Christian faith. I don't know. Do you believe that Crackergate significantly lessened the persuasive power of the Catholic faith as it affects devout Catholics?
Edited by - bngbuck on 08/03/2010 19:20:14
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  15:13:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

I certainly stated that all book burning is idiotic, but I did not indict all image defilement!
Whatev.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  17:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Lessee, where were we before the thread evolved into compost? Ah yes; book-burning. I really don't care what cult is burning whick books. Historically, the public burning of books has never been particularly effectual and often produces the opposite of the effect desired

How's 'bout burning Disco records? I remember seeing video of people burning them at a baseball field somewhere. Disco never came back.

I recall hearing about that. As I also recall, Disco was an already cooling corpse at the time. Thankfully.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  19:17:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Whatev.
Thanks for the relaxation, Dave. I appreciate it!
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  11:28:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

He can burn whatever he wants to burn (implied here is that it is something he is allowed to legally burn, stolen property would not satisfy that requirement).

I personally find the destruction of any book offensive, but if this moron goes and buys himself a stack of books he can put them to whatever use he chooses, including burning, and I think we would be out of line to demand he not do it or be punished for it. We can, obviously, criticize his stupidity for doing it though.

Hey Dude, we agree!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  15:52:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

Robb says Hey Dude, we agree!

Although I see book-burning as one of the most stupendously stupid activities in which ignorant people indulge themselves, I certainly agree that it should not be banned or penalized by statute.

I feel the same way about smoking. Even though certain folks have a small black hole in their brains that sucks up mountains of anti-smoking evidence and annihilates it; no one should be legally prevented from comitting an agonizing and slow suicide if that is truly what they want to do. I do think that serious ingestion of poison should be heavily taxed, and the proceeds used for cancer research, so that those that wish to die can contribute from their efforts at self-destruction to assistance for those who wish to live as long as possible.

I,as you, do enjoy my booze; so those particular poisons would have to be much more thoroughly investigated before I would extend my condemnation to alcohol!

So, hey Dude, we agree, also!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  19:40:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember this is brought to you by the typical Muslim reaction, after all. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.