Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  06:31:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

How's 'bout burning Disco records? I remember seeing video of people burning them at a baseball field somewhere. Disco never came back.

Steve Dahl Disco Demolition Chicago.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  20:43:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Dude.....

Robb says Hey Dude, we agree!

Although I see book-burning as one of the most stupendously stupid activities in which ignorant people indulge themselves, I certainly agree that it should not be banned or penalized by statute.

I feel the same way about smoking. Even though certain folks have a small black hole in their brains that sucks up mountains of anti-smoking evidence and annihilates it; no one should be legally prevented from comitting an agonizing and slow suicide if that is truly what they want to do. I do think that serious ingestion of poison should be heavily taxed, and the proceeds used for cancer research, so that those that wish to die can contribute from their efforts at self-destruction to assistance for those who wish to live as long as possible.

I,as you, do enjoy my booze; so those particular poisons would have to be much more thoroughly investigated before I would extend my condemnation to alcohol!

So, hey Dude, we agree, also!

Indeed we do.

I'd also probably say that the teaching of creationism in schools is worse than burning a book. The intentional infliction of ignorance should be a crime.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  11:55:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The moron persists....

I've read that the county in FL has refused Jones a burning permit, but he has decided to torch a ton of Korans, anyway -- well, maybe not that many. But some, and that'll fix them radical muslimoids, just you wait and see!
The pastor of a church sponsoring an "International Burn a Koran Day" says that the event is meant "as a warning" to radical Muslims.

Terry Jones of the Dove World Outreach Center, a non-denominational church in Gainesville, Florida, appeared on Hardball with Chris Matthews on Thursday.

Recently, his church announced it would be sponsoring a "Burn a Koran Day" on September 11th. According to the "International Burn a Koran Day" Facebook page, the event is meant to "bring to awareness to the dangers of Islam and that the Koran is leading people to hell," adding that, "eternal fire is the only destination the Koran can lead people to so we want to put the Koran in it's place - the fire!"

Like a dose of the clap, this sort of thing tends to get around, and morons willing to pander to anyone with a Bible and a big mouth are very common. 9/11/10 could be shaping up to be an interesting if disgusting day, what with the Park51 nonsense and imbecilic attacks on random Muslims and their mosques now added to it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  07:12:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Idiot Child now has gotten some attention, which, I think, is the point of the whole exercise anyway.

Indonesians Protest Fla. Church's Quran-Burning Day
by NPR Staff and Wires

September 4, 2010 About 3,000 Muslims marched Saturday through Indonesia's capital to the U.S. Embassy to protest plans by a Florida church to burn the Quran on Sept. 11.

Protesters from the hard-line Islamic group Hizb ut-Tahrir marched with banners and placards denouncing the burning set for Wednesday. Similar rallies were held in five other cities across Indonesia.

I really don't care if he burns "sacred" texts, but as an equal opportunity atheist, I think he should throw a few Bibles on the pyre as well. Then he'd get lots of attention.

I find the whole thing highly amusing.....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  04:22:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like some foul snowball, the event gains mass if not weight:
Religious leaders gathered in Houston on Saturday to condemn a Florida church's campaign to burn hundreds of Qurans later this week.

Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, Christian, Sikh, Zoroastrian and Muslim clergy spoke to about 120 people at an interfaith symposium held at the Baitus Samee Mosque in northwest Houston. They discussed the sanctity of scriptures and denounced the ill-treatment of religious books.

"Even if it is a human document merely inspired by encounters of the divine, or generations of my people's wisdom passed down and kept sacred, it is still sacred," Rabbi Jonathan Siger told the audience.

Notorious past
The symposium was held in response to the Dove World Outreach Center's announcement of a "Burn a Quran Day" on Sept. 11 at their church property in Gainesville, Fla.

The non-denominational church gained notoriety in 2009 for its "Islam is of the Devil" signs posted on the church's lawn.

And the results are predictable; the innocent are the ones who'll suffer.
Source: Miami Herald

GAINESVILLE -- Before she left her Miami home to return to the University of Florida this fall, Wajiha Akhtar's parents gave her some unusual advice: stay indoors as much as possible and, whatever happens, don't go near the Koran burners.

"I was fearful," says Akhtar, 24, a graduate student in epidemiology who says she never had any concerns as a Muslim here until recently. "Will we get singled out?"

Far from Ground Zero, where debate over a proposed Islamic center is still roiling, a Gainesville church has aroused anger and tension among Florida's growing Muslim community and caught the world's attention -- from international headlines to rallies in Indonesia and India -- because of its pistol-toting pastor's plan to ignite a bonfire of Korans on 9/11 to protest what he calls a religion "of the devil."

This raises an interesting question: Will there be a teabagger turnout for the event?

I sincerely hope that this scumbag of a preacher gets his sorry ass prosecuted. There's not much to bust him for; illegal burning is all thus far, but if violence breaks out, if it's no more than a slap-fight amongst the choir, we could have inciting to riot. Wouldn't that be sweet?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  08:09:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
I sincerely hope that this scumbag of a preacher gets his sorry ass prosecuted. There's not much to bust him for; illegal burning is all thus far, but if violence breaks out, if it's no more than a slap-fight amongst the choir, we could have inciting to riot. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Would that involve a trial with a jury? The thought that strikes me is, what percentage of the jury will be Christian? I'm visualising a jury sitting in front of the video-recorded evidence of the burning, smiling in glee...
What would be the odds of an inciting riot-conviction?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  11:45:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by filthy

Would that involve a trial with a jury? The thought that strikes me is, what percentage of the jury will be Christian? I'm visualising a jury sitting in front of the video-recorded evidence of the burning, smiling in glee...
What would be the odds of an inciting riot-conviction?

If some one were hurt, the jury would have a high chance of convicting him. If there were a good amount of property damage, same thing. It's all fun and games until somebody punches you in the face or burns your car.

So if there were an actual riot resulting from this, he'd probably be held to account.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  13:30:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As if this whole thing weren't stupid enough, now the more imbecilic of the Afghans are shoving their oar in.
Afghan protesters denounce US after American church vows to burn Islamic holy book on 9/11

Hundreds of Afghans railed against the United States and called for President Barack Obama's death at a rally in the capital Monday to denounce an American church's plans to burn the Islamic holy book on 9/11.

The rhetoric is the same that we've been hearing for decades -- like the more rabid Christians, they seldom come up with any originality. But it's slowly reaching the point that Pastor & Moron Jones has maybe bitten off more than he can chew.

I understand that this religious circle-jerk is to go down this Wednesday, rather than on the actual eleventh. We'll see....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  22:43:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have they read Matt 5:44?

But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  00:14:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

No. They never do.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  07:32:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

It's easier to let hate be a way of life. It fuels you and gives you energy.
That it's an empty life doesn't seem to matter to them, they'll be going to heaven in a short while anyway.

Edited: spelling, for correct grammar.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 09/07/2010 11:16:39
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  08:22:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks to me like the moron is locked in. The whole frakin' world has a hairy eyeball on him and it would be a considerable loss of face for him to become sane and back down now. Jonesy doesn't strike me as a man who suffers humiliation and ridicule gladly. And that is a good thing; either way, he's going to get a lot of both and conservative apoplexy can be fun to watch.

I also look for a silly fatwa to be issued by some dipshit ayatollah or other about ten minutes after the thing goes down. That too, will be amusing.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  08:44:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The moron speaks out again and it is very interesting:
The pastor of a small Florida church said Tuesday he will go ahead with his plans to hold a Koran burning this week, despite warnings by the US commander of the Afghan war of violent reactions in the Islamic world.

Terry Jones, who heads the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville Florida, said he had given "serious" consideration to the concerns expressed by General David Petraeus over plans to torch a Koran to mark the ninth anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks, but said he would proceed anyway.

"We are taking the general's words very serious. We are continuing to pray about the action on September 11th," he said.

Nevertheless, he said "we have firmly made up our mind" to go ahead with burning the Muslim holy book.

"I mean, how long, when does America stand for truth?" he said.

What does that last sentence even mean? And it is further interesting to note that he refers to himself in the third person, a form usually reserved for journalists and royalty, few of which deserve it, and certainly not Jones.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  09:12:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Petraeus condemns church's plan to burn Korans

"It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems," Petraeus, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, said in a statement. "Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."

The U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan also condemned the Florida church's plan, saying the Obama administration opposes "acts of disrespect" against Islam.

Petraeus's comments come a day after 500 residents protested at a Kabul mosque, burning American flags and chanting anti-U.S. slogans.

This isn't funny anymore. There are a lot of Muslim countries we have decent relations with right now, and Obama has been trying to do damage control so that the US isn't just seen as anti Islam. This Jones guy, besides being bat-shit crazy, will also get people killed.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  09:53:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't we as americans be encouraging the non insane muslims to speak out and try to get them on our side? All this does is hurt that cause. You never do indecent things to get your point across.

I like the quote filthy has in his signature that "they are welcome in our country." Really, burning thier holy book may not make them feel very welcome.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.