Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  04:14:43  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today is the big day when Glenn Beck tries on Martin Luther King's shoes, and Sarah Palin will tie them for him.
What no one has really pointed out about Glenn Beck's upcoming pep rally on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial is that, in claiming he's following the example of Martin Luther King, he's actually positioning this gig as a civil-rights event. But whose civil rights? Well, judging by what we've seen at the Tea Parties inspired by Beck, it's gonna be pretty damned white.

It is thus, in essence, a civil-rights march for white people. Or more particularly, for right-wing white people who feel threatened by the growing presence and power of the nonwhite population.

Just for shits & giggles, and for those who refuse to open links under any circumstances, here's the King/Beck timeline from the article:

Pretty interesting comparison, isn't it?

Anyhow, it's all going down today; when the hack tries to take up King's slack before a crowd of thousands of honkys dedicated to equality for honkys. It ought to be a pretty good show.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  05:31:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
¿Qué? Beck?

It's really shameless of Beck to so profain the memory of a man who was so much greater than himself. (Perhaps Beck is just trying to piss off liberals?) I met Martin Luther King, Jr. Mr. Beck, you are not MLK, not even if you hire one of King's more mercenary nieces to give you cover at your shindig. Next, I suppose Beck will apply black-face.

I'm almost certain that Glenn Beck has undisclosed redeeming qualities. I'm even more sure, though, that someone will quickly convince me that I am in error.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  06:05:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I see it, and I don't think I'm too far off the mark, Beck is fluffing his own ego with the aid of and at the expense of the teabaggers in attendance. And it's gonna work, too. He and Palin will become even bigger teabag heros than they already are.

But he is showing great humility in doing his cheap demagoguery two steps below the step used by MLK. Big, fucking deal, eh?

I'm hoping to catch his speech on the toob. It should make excellent grist for the skeptical mill. I wonder if he'll Vaporub up and cry for us.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  13:54:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only redeeming quality I can identify with Beck, is that he once(?) owned a DeLorean. It's one of those cars I've dreamed about having since I first saw Back to the Future.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  15:27:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got involved in something else and missed it. Evidently, I was blessed with that something else. I'm reading that it was a pretty dull and slightly weird scene.
Glenn Beck promised there wouldn't "be a dry eye in the house" after his big speech today at the Lincoln Memorial for his "Restoring Honor" rally -- because, you know, it was going to be "so stirring."

Riiiiight. Well, Glenn Beck's eyes certainly weren't dry. He started weeping while telling the crowd that somewhere out there was "the next George Washington".

Dunno about you, but when I saw pan shots of the crowd -- which was one of the whitest crowds in D.C. in recent memory -- I mostly thought I saw "the next Timothy McVeigh." But your mileage may vary.

As for the speech itself: Lunesta in verbal form. I'm having to pick my head up from my desk just to write something about it.

It was essentially Beck's call for a return to the religious life in America -- which was why he assembled 240 representatives of various churches in the crowd and dubbed them his "new Black Robe Regiment". This part was particularly creepy, since it came with an admonition that religious leaders needed to focus on "fundamental values" -- as defined by Glenn Beck, of course.

Black Robe Regiment, eh? Why does that have such a familiar ring to it?

Unofficial attendance numbers: thirty to fifty thousand and maybe 70,000 depending upon who you read. I'm sure more accurate estimates will be forthcoming soon. Whatever, it's a far cry from the 300,000 to 500,000 forecast. To sum it up, it was just another teabagger rally sans signs and a little larger than usual. If I believed in that sort of thing, I'd say that MLK is laughing hysterically in his grave, that this pipsqueak had the temerity to try on his shoes.

With video that I couldn't bring myself to view, and the comments are interesting.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  16:51:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Source.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  03:38:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonkette:

Glenn Beck’s Slob Picnic About What You’d Expect

It was Colonial Williamsburg staff day at Glenn Beck’s GlennBeckPalooza! Show up in your work uniform and get a 60-pack of Hot Wings for just $4.99! Guess who didn’t remember his work costume? Wonkette’s new drive-time “shock jock” Riley Waggaman! Are you ready for lots more pictures of the Honor which was Restored by, uh, a weeping lunatic self-promoter from Fox News and amoral snowbilly grifter Sarah Palin? The answer, of course, is “I Haz a Dream!” Let’s take a look at the rest of Wonkabout Arielle Fleisher’s photo album from America’s Worst Summer Festival!

With a few more pictures such as this one:

I don't know what that (not supposed to be there) sign even means! Whatever school this puddle-in-a-chair learned grammar at should fire it's English teachers.

I read another attendance estimate of some 87,000, which, from the photos I've seen, seems pretty close. The problem I'm having with it is the question of whether the liberals could get as good a turneout at a similar event.

Anyhow, everyone seems to have had a good time playing dress-up, 'bagging, and drooling at Palin's T&A -- probably the best part of the show.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  08:45:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Best comment:

By the time we got to Woodstock, we were half a million pounds…

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  07:35:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

From here.

I am pleased with the ridicule this event has received thus far, and disappointed that it has not received more.

I'll do my part.....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  08:09:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I were in a position to post a link to the youtube clip of Beck on Fox News Sunday yesterday. He is quite an amazing guy. He admitted himself that there really was no point to his gathering.

Quite frankly I think Beck is of the L. Ron Hubbard school of thought. "Lets guide the no-minds into a position where we can make lots of money off them"

I just cannot understand why so many people follow him. Any time you see him speak he contradicts himself a number of times, changes subjects frequently, and is about a charismatic as....I'm not sure what but whatever it is is not very charismatic.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  11:12:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I read another attendance estimate of some 87,000, which, from the photos I've seen, seems pretty close. The problem I'm having with it is the question of whether the liberals could get as good a turneout at a similar event.

They Tried
Several hundred people gathered at Dunbar High School as a band sang Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" at a rally that the Rev. Al Sharpton is calling the "Reclaim the Dream" march.

You can't go one segment on Beck's radio show without him trying to sell you something. All he is is and emotional entrepreneur.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  12:07:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When did America lose her honor? A simple question posed to people at Beck's rally.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  12:40:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

When did America lose her honor? A simple question posed to people at Beck's rally.

That's a damned good question, and I have a pretty good answer: when the corporate oligarchy began taking over the government.

I only opened a couple of the videos due to my being a little deaf and unable to make out much of the audio. I suspect that all were pretty much the same: no answer.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  13:53:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, "Beckerheads....."
8/30/2010
Nine Final Observations on the Beckture: So That Happened:
A few random things left over from watching Glenn Beck's Tent Revival Meeting and Hoveround Demonstration this past Saturday in DC:

1. What the fuck was that? No, really. Before it happened, Beck was promising nothing short of a "miracle." Instead, what we got was a Very Special Episode of The Glenn Beck Show, starring Glenn Beck as the lovable lump Glenn Beck, featuring the Glenn Beck Minstrels. It was terrible and boring and old and white. It wasn't frightening, as some liberals have said. It was pathetic, like watching a parade of freaks from a Fellini film. And Beck's hour-long speech was absolute fucking nonsense. The Rude Pundit's seen actual tent-revival preachers who have been awe-inspiring and scary. Fuck, he's seen scabby homeless guys screaming about Armageddon on the street corner who were more coherent.

And:
4. Advice to unthinking Beckerheads: Just because one says something with fervor and volume does not make it true. However, a good con man has to act as if he believes the lie and act accordingly. (So, you know, kudos, Glenn.)

5. Fun juxtaposition:
Glenn Beck, speaking on Friday at the Kennedy Center, just before raping a kitten, using his tears for lube: "We are 12 hours away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America."

Sarah Palin, speaking at the Beckture: "We must not fundamentally transform America, as some would want."

And so forth -- yeesh, what a maroon! I really don't understand how he keeps an audience. Are there that many idiots in the country; enough to keep him and Limbaugh in business? Sadly, must be there is.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  20:49:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We who have the social aberration of picking up snakes whenever possible need to know what's venomous and what's not. Actually, we don't really need to know what the snake is; just what it isn't. Those of us with long experience in the field can do it with less than a glance. We go with colors and patterns, scale texture and general shape of the head and body. I only have to briefly see a small part of the animal to hang an ID on it.

But I am not too sure of these specimens. Indeed, I have my doubts that they are honorable reptiles at all. They, among others, were found at Beckaploosa:

I have just made a tentative identification: Cranial vacuumi, not really a reptile at all in spite of their venom. I shall inform Copeia of this.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/30/2010 20:52:55
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  21:35:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm weeping for mankind...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.