Bye, bye, Bayah
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  00:49:58  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Bayah: Eaten but not forgotten.

When I first moved into this very basic apartment, there were two dogs tied up in the concreted foreyard, Bayah an askal bitch and George an askal-dachshund mix male. (Bayah was named after a native kind of rice-wine, and George after the last US president.) Both were loud but pleasant canines, in the askal tradition. Later, two more askals were chained in the yard, Happy and another male whose name I have not yet learned.

About a week ago, two men in a small truck showed up, money was exchanged with the relatives of the landlords, and both Bayah and George were packed into the truck.

The extended family of the landlord have been taking turns staying in the main house here. The elderly landlady went to Manila with her husband even before I arrived in June to visit a sick relative. Since then, she herself has had three strokes and is confined in the same room with her relative. The adult offspring occupying the main house here are all quite poor. The food they have given the askals has been almost entirely rice. They don't eat that well themselves.

I suspected the fates of Bayah and George, but asked. I confirmed that the family could no longer afford to feed four dogs, so two were sold to dog-butchers. Despite my horror, I did not make a scene. Village dogs have always had to live at the convenience of mankind, being eaten in times of famine and poverty.

My complaints would only be seen as nosy noise from a foreigner who has no idea of local gut-level realities. So I merely expressed my sympathetic regret at the passing of Bayah and George.

But I'll miss those dogs, especially Bayah.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/20/2010 01:16:12

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  01:18:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My condolences on your loss, HalfMooner.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  01:35:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by podcat

My condolences on your loss, HalfMooner.
Thanks, pod.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  05:44:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the poor dog Halfmooner.

I do find the subject of eating dog meat quite interesting. Dogs, along with pigs, were a staple of the diet of all Pacific islanders for their entire history until recently.
I think it is intereting to note that pigs are still commonly eaten but dogs are now taboo. The intelligence of both animals is comparable. This causes me to question the morality of eating one over the other. Why are pigs OK to eat while dogs are not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  06:16:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! sorry to hear thatHM.

Not long ago, about 6 months, on a Italian TV cooking show, the chef commented that during WWII in Italy cats where called "Roof Rabbits". He added that he knew of one or more recipes for cooking cats and that during the war they were fair game. That brought a quick end to his hosting the show, with the complaints and outrage. He really didn't condone it but was commenting on the history and got canned.

Let's face it when it comes to human beliefs and norms, they change like the wind overtime and geography. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  08:14:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Not long ago, about 6 months, on a Italian TV cooking show, the chef commented that during WWII in Italy cats where called "Roof Rabbits". He added that he knew of one or more recipes for cooking cats and that during the war they were fair game. That brought a quick end to his hosting the show, with the complaints and outrage. He really didn't condone it but was commenting on the history and got canned.

Let's face it when it comes to human beliefs and norms, they change like the wind overtime and geography. SS

"Cat, the other white meat!"

Dogs and cats have always taken a beating whenever conditions change for their owners worse. During wars, they become nearly a dietary staple, and dog was still surreptitiously available in Greece when I was there in '57. Taste-wise, it ain't all that bad, with proper preparation. And in some cultures they are eaten habitually.

While I'm sad about the loss of your friend, I'm glad that someone didn't go to bed hungry.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  08:20:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

But I bet all those outraged people eat meat. Bunch of hypocrites.

Not that I'm advocating vegetarianism. I love my meat. But as long as I have no problem eating sheep, pigs, cows and all kinds of other two-, four- and occasionally six-legged creatures, I don't exactly have the right to complain whenever someone eats a four-legged critter that I don't ordinarily think of as food. Especially since those dogs and cats that are eaten possibly have had a better and longer life than many of the creatures I usually eat.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  08:29:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless and until one starts imbuing bodies with supernatural spirits, It is all meat. Even then, it is all meat to something or other. I have a 7 year old Lab whom we love dearly. BUt he has been told from day one. In the apocalyptic aftermath if he wants to live he had better try to eat me before I do him.

My partner reminded me that the correct deal I gave the dog was that if he could bring in enough food for us, I wouldn't eat him.
Edited by - chefcrsh on 09/20/2010 08:44:28
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  08:44:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chefcrsh

Unless and until one starts imbuing bodies with supernatural spirits, It is all meat. Even then, it is all meat to something or other. I have a 7 year old Lab whom we love dearly. BUt he has been told from day one. In the apocalyptic aftermath if he wants to live he had better try to eat me before I do him.

I also have a 7 y/o Yellow Lab. He and I have had the same discussion. Only as a last resort would I eat him though. He would be much more valuable to me as an assitant to capture food.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  09:16:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sort of puts a new spin on the phrase "dog gone good!"

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  23:26:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, see the hypocrisy of "our" cultural prejudices about dogs vs. such animals as swine. But I'm a product of that culture. Eating a "friend" (and no damned, delicious pig could ever be my buddy) seems at least a last-resort action.

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  15:58:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand the reality, though it's especially sad since they were household pets. :(
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  20:54:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the perspective of a lot of people it's sad. But I always look at it this way; suppose a Hindu neighbour of mine tried to tell me that I shouldn't eat beef. I would probably tell him to mind his own business. As long as there was no cruelty involved then it's simply a different cultural mindset involved here. I would probably feel very sad too, but that's because we come from similar backgrounds.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.