Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  23:02:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if you did interpret the picture that way (which would really demonstrate of woeful lack of awareness and understanding of symbolism), it would still be a stretch.

Next you'll be telling me its anachronistic for Jesus to have had such a good physique 2000 years ago.

Fairly exasperating to even have to reply to such posts.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  05:13:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think that it is highly unlikely that Jesus had anything like that sort of physique. A Roman athlete of the day, or perhaps a soldier, but not an itinerant rabbi due to his rigorous life style. After all, he lived pre-Christianity and while the priests of the day lived comfortably off the best their followers could give them (nothing changes, eh), he didn't see much of that because his followers were mostly church-mouse poor.

I've always pictured The Naz as a thin, even wiry sort of a guy with a dark complexion and probably somewhere between five-four and five-eight tall. Indeed, nothing at all like the illustration.

But I get the symbolism. It's simply showing that Jesus was strong enough to conquer death.

I live all but surrounded by fundigelicals mostly of the Southern Baptist persuasion, and a few years ago I mentioned to one that Jesus was not a Christian and had had no intention of ever becoming one. That caused a noticeable pause in the conversation, as my fundie friend had never thought of that.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  08:54:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Even if you did interpret the picture that way...

It would be VERY easy to do.

Next you'll be telling me its anachronistic for Jesus to have had such a good physique 2000 years ago.

No, I won't.

Fairly exasperating to even have to reply to such posts.
Poor you...

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.