Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Wretched Radio blames the victims?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2557 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  15:57:13  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy shit. Just note what that guy says right off the bat. Found with appropriate commentary. I don't feel like linking to the actual youtube video.

Why in hell would the victims need forgivness?


It looks like ol' Jinx McHue like that video. Figures.


>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 01/24/2011 16:07:39

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13462 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  16:24:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Holy shit. Just note what that guy says right off the bat. Found with appropriate commentary. I don't feel like linking to the actual youtube video.

Why in hell would the victims need forgivness?


It looks like ol' Jinx McHue like that video. Figures.


Holy crap!!!


Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  10:43:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So this isnīt satire? Sure on that?

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2557 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  15:35:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh hell yeah, I'm sure. That site ("Wretched Radio") is a branch or a friend of Ray Comfort's Living Waters ministries.


>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 01/25/2011 15:37:07
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  16:01:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you watched the video he is saying victims of molestation need forgiveness just like the rest of us but not because they were victims of molestation but because they have sinned apart from any molestation. Friel thinks that some victims have a hard time thinking they can be saved because they think the molestation was their fault. He is actually saying the opposite of what you guys are saying. You know that that show is 30 minutes long and not 2:20 min.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  17:18:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Friel thinks that some victims have a hard time thinking they can be saved because they think the molestation was their fault. He is actually saying the opposite of what you guys are saying.
No. He's capitalizing on molestation victims' feelings of violation, vulnerability, and shame, and using them to proselytize. Rather than say "it wasn't you're fault you have no reason to feel bad," instead he says "Oh, you feel bad? Well Jesus can fix you!" which is a totally messed up thing to tell someone. It's clear that he doesn't actually care about molestation victims or relieving their feelings of shame. Instead, he uses their pain and suffering as a weakness he can exploit. More marks he can sucker in with his con game of religion.

I realize as a Christian you can't help but fail to see how insidious these sorts of tactics are, preying on the emotionally fragile as they do. But victims do not need forgiveness, not even from your imaginary god. The pathological idea that we are all sinners who need forgiving is sick and vile, and doubly so when directed at molestation victims who neither asked for nor need anyone's forgiveness.

So we get what he's saying, Robb. You just don't get how disgusting it is to somebody outside of the cult.


"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/25/2011 17:24:05
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  18:08:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Friel thinks that some victims have a hard time thinking they can be saved because they think the molestation was their fault. He is actually saying the opposite of what you guys are saying.
No. He's capitalizing on molestation victims' feelings of violation, vulnerability, and shame, and using them to proselytize. Rather than say "it wasn't you're fault you have no reason to feel bad," instead he says "Oh, you feel bad? Well Jesus can fix you!" which is a totally messed up thing to tell someone. It's clear that he doesn't actually care about molestation victims or relieving their feelings of shame. Instead, he uses their pain and suffering as a weakness he can exploit. More marks he can sucker in with his con game of religion.

I realize as a Christian you can't help but fail to see how insidious these sorts of tactics are, preying on the emotionally fragile as they do. But victims do not need forgiveness, not even from your imaginary god. The pathological idea that we are all sinners who need forgiving is sick and vile, and doubly so when directed at molestation victims who neither asked for nor need anyone's forgiveness.

So we get what he's saying, Robb. You just don't get how disgusting it is to somebody outside of the cult.


Ok, but that is not what the_ignored or the person that uploaded that video was saying. They were saying Friel thought the victims were doing something wrong by being molested in some way and needed forgiveness for being molested. That is what I was disagreeing about. You say you get what he is saying but it is obvious that the_ignored and others do not see it your way.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26001 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  18:25:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Ig was asking why the victims would need to be forgiven. For the molestation, that is, and apart from the obligatory Christian self-loathing.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  18:43:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Actually, Ig was asking why the victims would need to be forgiven. For the molestation, that is, and apart from the obligatory Christian self-loathing.
They don't. That is what I am disagreeing about. Friel never said they need forgiveness for being a victim of molestation.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2557 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  20:19:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're full of shit, Robb. Right off the bat that asshole is saying that: if the victims don't feel that they can be "saved" because they feel too dirty Christ will accept them? That's playing right into the negative self-feelings that they feel!

Why?
Because god saves, dirty, bad, people

Isn't it the fucking rapist who's the dirty, bad person here?

How else am I supposed to interperet that huh?

Sure they go onto the usual "everyone is bad" schtick (how could they not, it's a mainstay)? But Christ, that first woman who called herself "despicable"? The hell?


>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 01/25/2011 20:25:51
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  20:30:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

You're full of shit, Robb. Right off the bat that asshole is saying that: if the victims don't feel that they can be "saved" because they feel too dirty Christ will accept them? That's playing right into the negative self-feelings that they feel!

Why?
Because god saves, dirty, bad, people

Isn't it the fucking rapist who's the dirty, bad person here?

How else am I supposed to interperet that huh?

Sure they go onto the usual "everyone is bad" schtick (how could they not, it's a mainstay)? But Christ, that first woman who called herself "despicable"? The hell?


Ok

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  12:45:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh! Now I'm sick. What sick attempt at further exploitation of sexually assaulted victims. Jesus is real? Jesus loves them? Where was Jesus when they were being assaulted? I don't want to hear that Jesus is/was testing their faith. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  14:14:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also confused about something else it says. Around 1:30 it says... "Good people do not need to be saved." Isn't that the exact opposite of standard Christian preaching? I thought that even good people needed saving. Good acts will not bring salvation, only believing in Jesus. Unless he means that "good people" = "believe in Jesus". If so, thats not at all clear.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  11:02:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by leoofno

I'm also confused about something else it says. Around 1:30 it says... "Good people do not need to be saved." Isn't that the exact opposite of standard Christian preaching? I thought that even good people needed saving. Good acts will not bring salvation, only believing in Jesus. Unless he means that "good people" = "believe in Jesus". If so, thats not at all clear.
I think he means good = sinless.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2557 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  20:56:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  23:12:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb
I think he means good = sinless.
That wouldn't make sense, though, would it? Only Jesus was sinless. So who are these "good people" that do not need to be saved? All I can think is that he means those who have already found Christ, making his statement a bit of a redundancy. "Good people" don't need to be saved because they already are, where the totality of being a "good person" here is simply holding a belief in a preposterous messiah myth.


"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/28/2011 23:14:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000