Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  10:42:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

It also seems Bill that you did not learn anything at all from the exchange that happened on the thread you are referring to.

Is it willfull ignorance or do you simply lack the capacity to understand plain English?

And yet of all the skeptics here no one could give me an example, even though they tried hard, in the materialistic universe where nothing has meaning. Can you give me just one example in the materialistic universe where nothing has meaning?

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  11:11:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott
And yet of all the skeptics here no one could give me an example, even though they tried hard, in the materialistic universe where nothing has meaning.
Bill, even if everything will eventually end in nothingness, that doesn't mean what's happening right now is meaningless. It just doesn't follow. That's like saying since one day you will be brain dead, you can be considered to be brain dead right now. Should we treat you like you are brain dead, Bill? Or can you understand the concepts of temporal meaning vs. eternal meaning and how you don't need the latter in order to experience the former?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  12:29:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Bill, even if everything will eventually end in nothingness, that doesn't mean what's happening right now is meaningless. It just doesn't follow.

If follows just as night follows day. Can you give me an example in the materialistic universe where nothing had/has/or ever will have meaning?

That's like saying since one day you will be brain dead, you can be considered to be brain dead right now. Should we treat you like you are brain dead, Bill?

It's not like that at all.

Or can you understand the concepts of temporal meaning vs. eternal meaning and how you don't need the latter in order to experience the former?

Temporal meaning? So now you are saying that you have assigned "temporal meaning" to your life? No, what you have assigned is a delusional or pseudo meaning to your life. Since all life will end in nothingness all life is rendered meaningless, and this would include any and all temporary meanings that you have attempted to assign to your life.

I have to admit I am a little shocked at how the skeptics on this forum are having such a hard time grasping this cold truth about our reality, if this is a materialistic universe. Rather than just accept the harsh reality of life in the materialistic universe you desperately grasp at straws trying to figure out somehow or someway to assign real meaning to your life, even if it is just a "temporal meaning". Why not just accept this harsh reality of a meaningless existence and move on rather then continue with the delusion of a temporal self-meaning? I understand that assigning a believed temporal self-meaning to ones life while trapped in a meaningless existence helps one persevere to the point of death in this meaningless materialistic universe but that is just akin to sticking one's head in the sand so as not to have to face their cold harsh reality of living a meaningless life in a meaningless universe. However, this is not in line with the typical skeptic credo.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Edited by - Bill scott on 02/08/2011 12:32:39
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  12:48:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dude

Exactly. And so if true ultimately his life is rendered meaningless. All he did or did not do, whether for good or for bad, all was done in vain.

Only in your sad, patheteic, and warped mind (if it can even be said you have a mind...)

So you decided not to prove my statement false but rather just call me names?

No it's a show of exasperation most probably born out of the fact that you don't seem to understand that your sans-god-nihilism isn't self-evident.
We, or at least not I, do not accept your premise that "if true ultimately his life is rendered meaningless".
This is not self-evident, because it is build on the false dilemma that god is the only thing that gives life any meaning.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  12:51:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill, you are brain dead.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  13:28:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

We, or at least not I, do not accept your premise that "if true ultimately his life is rendered meaningless".

But in the materialistic universe all life is meaningless. Whether or not you accept this is irrelevant.

This is not self-evident, because it is build on the false dilemma that god is the only thing that gives life any meaning.

In the materialistic universe all life ends in nothingness. Nothingness renders all meaningless. Therefore all life is rendered meaningless in the materialist universe. Now just don't sit here and say that you don't accept this and offer nothing to back up your non-acceptance. Give us an example in the materialistic universe where nothing had/has/or will ever have meaning. If you can do this then I would have to rethink my position. If you cannot do this then you are just blowing hot air around.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  13:31:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Bill, you are brain dead.

Couldn't come up with an example of where nothing had/has/or will ever have meaning in the materialistic universe, could you? I knew you couldn't. Face it, HH, your life is a meaningless existence in a meaningless universe, if this a materialistic universe. And no amount of believed temporal self-meaning that you have assigned to your life (sticking your head in the sand) will change that.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  13:53:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But in the materialistic universe all life is meaningless.
Meaningless to whom, Bill? It's not meaningless to me, but for some reason you think the meaning I give my life shouldn't count. Why not? Why is that not considered meaning to you? Just because it will end? Your life will end. Is that the same as saying you are currently dead? It is the same as saying you never existed? You exist right now, Bill. Your life has meaning right now. The fact that a day will come when everyone is dead, humanity is wiped out and all trace of our species is gone doesn't change the fact that we were here and we did exist. No one has to remember that we were alive for us to have been alive, and no one needs to be around to give our past existence meaning for our lives to have had meaning.

Eternal meaning is not a requirement for temporal meaning, no matter how many times you insist that it is.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  13:56:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couldn't come up with an example of where nothing had/has/or will ever have meaning in the materialistic universe, could you? I knew you couldn't.
Mostly because I don't understand the question. I have no idea how "nothing" can have meaning. But we weren't discussing "nothing," we were discussing people's lives. It is you that keeps equating "will not exist in the future" with "doesn't exist now," which is a clear error in thinking. To argue otherwise is to admit that you are currently brain dead. So I can't answer something based on such flawed premises. You are deeply confused. Your question is literally nonsensical.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/08/2011 13:59:26
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  14:15:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In the materialistic universe all life ends in nothingness. Nothingness renders all meaningless. Therefore all life is rendered meaningless in the materialist universe.

Bill, you can repeat this however many times you wish, but it does not make it true. What you are missing is that it is up to you to prove that there is an afterlife. Where's the proof. Bill? You ain't got none. It's pretty pathetic that you need some unimaginative version of a cheesy, second-rate B-movie supreme being to give your life purpose.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  14:30:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The fact that a day will come when everyone is dead, humanity is wiped out and all trace of our species is gone doesn't change the fact that we were here and we did exist.

If it all ends in nothingness then all is rendered meaningless.

No one has to remember that we were alive for us to have been alive, and no one needs to be around to give our past existence meaning for our lives to have had meaning.

If all ends in nothingness than by the very definition of nothingness there is no meaning.

Mostly because I don't understand the question. I have no idea how "nothing" can have meaning.

But yet you will assign meaning to your life, which begins and ends with nothing?

But we weren't discussing "nothing," we were discussing people's lives.

Actually we were discussing the ends of peoples lives, which in the materialistic universe, they begin and end with nothing. From nothing you came and to nothing you shall return. What's left in the middle is meaningless.

It is you that keeps equating "will not exist in the future" with "doesn't exist now," which is a clear error in thinking.

Actually in a materialistic universe there is no meaning to be able to assign to your life. The universe and life itself was created without meaning, it exists without meaning and it will cease to exist without meaning. Now if you want to jump into that sea of meaningless and assign meaning to your life knock yourself out. But even that task will prove to be meaningless in the meaningless universe.

Your question is literally nonsensical.

Trying to assign meaning to that which was created in meaninglessness and is currently sustained in a meaninglessness existence is what is nonsensical here.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  14:59:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually we were discussing the ends of peoples lives, which in the materialistic universe, they begin and end with nothing. From nothing you came and to nothing you shall return. What's left in the middle is meaningless.
Nope. What's left in the middle is chocked full of meaning.

Now if you want to jump into that sea of meaningless and assign meaning to your life knock yourself out.
Which is exactly what I'm doing! I give meaning, Bill. I do. As a conscious being, I have that power. So do you, although you choose not to exercise it, which is only your loss.

But even that task will prove to be meaningless in the meaningless universe.
But it can't be a meaningless Universe if I just gave it meaning! If the Universe has meaning to me, then the Universe has meaning so long as I exist. I do exist. Ergo, the Universe has meaning.

Trying to assign meaning to that which was created in meaninglessness and is currently sustained in a meaninglessness existence is what is nonsensical here.
Bill, humans create meaning. It's an abstract concept like justice, another human-created ideal. There is no "ultimate eternal justice" in the Universe, so according to your logic, that means justice cannot exist on Earth. Should we just release all the convicts from our jails because Bill scott has declared justice to be nonexistent? Of course not! Your thinking is broken on this subject. You just keep repeating the same error over and over again.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/08/2011 15:02:14
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  15:29:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now if you want to jump into that sea of meaningless and assign meaning to your life knock yourself out. But even that task will prove to be meaningless in the meaningless universe.

Bill, you're doing the exact same thing. You're just pretending that your sky daddy is giving meaning. The only difference is that we're not deluding ourselves. Simply because your "belief" is squirting a few more endorphins into your brain isn't rendering any more "meaning" than we are providing ourselves.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  15:38:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for shitting all over this thread, Bill. Christian "compassion" strikes again.

And so if true ultimately his life is rendered meaningless. All he did or did not do, whether for good or for bad, all was done in vain.
I still haven't seen you connect the logical dots from "dead is dead" to "it's all meaningless." Nothing about my dad's life is meaningless to me or the other people who knew him.
at least for all practical intents and purposes of the still-living.
I am asking for all practical intents and purposes of the deceased.
Which makes no sense at all, even in your theology. Heaven and Hell aren't places where practical concerns have any merit. In my view, the dead don't have any intents or purposes, practical or not, because they're dead.
I am just trying to figure out your logic here.
Why don't you explain yours?
But yet then on the other hand you want to debate with me for 12 pages when I say that if your belief is true then all life is ultimately rendered meaningless????
Because nobody is talking about anything "ultimate," here. Only you have a belief in an "ultimate" something. I have no clue at all (nor can anyone else) as to whether "all life is ultimately rendered meaningless" because we don't know how things are going to ultimately turn out.
If all life to ever walk the planet Earth ultimately ends up in nothingness then ultimately all life ends up meaningless, period.
That's a mighty big "if" you've got there.
Any token meaning that you care to tack on to your life while you are alive, Dave, is ultimately going to end in nothingness, which renders all meaningless.
I don't assume that your premise is true.
I mean come on, Dave, who is fooling who here? In the materialistic/naturalistic universe even all of the condolences offered to you on this forum ultimately are rendered as meaningless. Were they offered with good intention? Yes, but ultimately they are meaningless never the less.
So you keep saying, but have yet to demonstrate.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  18:07:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old and Wise by the Alan Parsons Project

When we die whatever meaning our lives had will be held by those we knew, still living. Accept it or don't, Bill, just stop being such a big baby about it. You have your security blanket and therefore your present meaning, and really revisiting this debate in this thread is only evidence of your fear, your desperate faith.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.