Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  15:01:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overly-theatrical to the end.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 03/23/2011 15:01:36
Go to Top of Page

doctor gachet
Sockpuppet

2 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  17:29:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send doctor gachet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quite the broughaha you had here. Sadly, it is the skeptics who come off looking poorly. Unless you suspended the members who were at least equally guilty of insulting comments, this looks like nothing more than a clear-cut case of censorship. You didn't like what the guy had to say, he refused to back down to bullying, so you got rid of him. It makes true skeptics look bad.

I suggest you take a look at physicsforum.com to see how they handle UFO and alien discussions in a truly scientific, skeptical manner.

I hope you do better in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  18:12:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by doctor gachet

Quite the broughaha you had here. Sadly, it is the skeptics who come off looking poorly. Unless you suspended the members who were at least equally guilty of insulting comments, this looks like nothing more than a clear-cut case of censorship. You didn't like what the guy had to say, he refused to back down to bullying, so you got rid of him. It makes true skeptics look bad.

I suggest you take a look at physicsforum.com to see how they handle UFO and alien discussions in a truly scientific, skeptical manner.

You clearly misunderstand what occured here. The kook wasn't banned for his insulting and hostile language. He was banned because he insisted that he himself was engaging in hatespeech, and that merely calling him delusional was the equivilent of race baiting.

Hope that helps clarify things for you, because the bannings in these forums are very rare events. Its a more open platform than most other sites, tolerates a much wider range of behavior, and in general is more forgiving of infighting and insults.

That makes this a more honest place to discuss things, even though the result is sometimes this thread.

As for the rest of your post... "censorship" "true skeptics" "truly scientific" .... I hope you realize how insulting that is. Your failure to comprehend doesn't grant you license to be a hypocrit, does it?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  20:54:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are the odds that two different people making what amounts to the same complaint with the same hypocritical tone register here with a French name of an artwork with a person leaning on an elbow from the same IP address? Not very high, I'd say.

le Penseur: you were given clear and simple instructions on what to do if you wanted to post here again, and you failed to follow them. You and your sock-puppet have now graduated from suspended to banned.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  02:45:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet another of the many things I fail to understand; why do they keep coming back? Do they enjoy the taste of sock lint? I’ve been banned multiple times from such classey places as Uncommon Descent and Theology Web, and each time I simply packed my figurative rags and left in (undeserved) disgrace.

Ain’t no big deal; I figure that the site belongs to it’s owners, so they get to make the rules. If I think the rules are bullshit, I don’t have to sign on, and if I do sign on, I don‘t have to stay -- one way or another.

These are tough boards. Here, we are expected to take care of ourselves and those who can’t soon leave, mostly but not always under their own steam.

Due to computer problems (miserable fucking things), I missed most of this overly long thread. I haven’t gone back to catch up because if the last chunk of it is anything like the first 20 pages or so, I’ve missed little.

l‘Penseur had a pretty good run, I think. He’d have been shit-canned early on in other places, especially with the sock puppet.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  15:10:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will anyone who posted in this thread learn from the experience and handle the next LP differently? There will be another, sooner or later. For all the talent we supposedly have here, it would be nice to see the next LP get an education and not be allowed to run a muck, as he did. I say it ended with LP 1, SFN 0. IMO, LP made more than one person look like a monkey and I'd guess he's happy with all the aggravation he's caused controlling the thread the way he did.

Who couldn't see from the beginning that there would be no evidence from LP? It's a shame that LP wasn't handled differently and was allowed, by the replies he got, to go on the way he did. This thread shows him as a puppet master with how he pulled people's strings. IMO, LP played more than one person like a marionette and I'd guess he's happy fun he had and with all the aggravation he's caused.

The FSM and every other God invented knows he could have been handled differently he but wasn't. When the next LP signs up and attempts the same I would hope they don't succeed as in this case. Next time we can/should do better. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  15:40:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Yet another of the many things I fail to understand; why do they keep coming back?

They're come to fuck people or to feel more important being able to win their imagined victory.
Do they enjoy the taste of sock lint?
In this case, I believe LP feels very satisfied and knows not the taste of lint but the taste of victory. Whether it's real or in his own mind.

These are tough boards.
They should be but that's your opinion Filthy, I suspect LP would differ and I don't see it in this thread.
l‘Penseur had a pretty good run, I think.
Me too.
He’d have been shit-canned early on in other places, especially with the sock puppet.
I feel he shouldn't have gotten a single rely from anyone who asked a question and didn't get an answer, until he replied to their question. If that was followed this might have gone dead in 2 pages. Certainly a whole lot sooner, for the benefit of all involved, except LP. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  15:43:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread was a train wreck. And it didn't have to be.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  20:00:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

It was going to disintegrate no matter what. You put a kook who can't take any criticism in a room full of skeptics and the kook is going to explode a few minutes later. He had no intention of discussing anything here anyway.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  21:50:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Originally posted by Kil

It was going to disintegrate no matter what. You put a kook who can't take any criticism in a room full of skeptics and the kook is going to explode a few minutes later. He had no intention of discussing anything here anyway.

All kinds of things went wrong. That was only one of them. But to tell you the truth. I would have gone humored him for as long as possible to get his story. If he had no story to tell, that would have become clear soon enough. My guess is you think we did that. But there were too many voices coming from too many directions and in my opinion our guest wasn't well enough equipped to deal with all the noise.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  02:36:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what little I was involved here, he soon began to come off like an endless loop. The irritating/funny part was the relentless dues ex machina he employed whenever he started to get stuck. I was beginning to think of it as Argumentum ad Imaginum, and I think he was trolling from the get-go.

I will say that his yarn was well thought out and that he was very well spoken; much better than most of the ilk. A pity, really, that he’s gone. In another reality, he might have made some interesting contributions.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  13:01:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Le Gâchette.....

And I also hope you don't trigger another firestorm, here, LP. Use another server, the IP address will give you up every time. And although I admire the balls and the cleverness implicit in the Van Gogh gambit, a simplistic nom de plume would be a better disguise. The gatekeeper here is implacable.

How about sending me a postal mail with a PO box return address? I will pay for the box.

I really have no desire to track you down for confrontation, I just want to correspond. You have tried for several years to communicate with someone or another on the Internet. I can guarantee you that I will not berate or belittle. All I want to do is listen. And write.

Would you answer questions (alien abduction related only) for a fee? I am willing to pay a reasonable amount to hear what you have to say.
And I am willing to sign a confidentiality agreement to protect your privacy of postal or e-mail address.

Please contact me so that I can write to you

Bill Buck (bngbuck)
751 North Aberdeen Court
Post Falls, ID 83854
bngbuck@roadrunner.com
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  15:22:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Kil

All kinds of things went wrong. That was only one of them. But to tell you the truth. I would have gone humored him for as long as possible to get his story. If he had no story to tell, that would have become clear soon enough. My guess is you think we did that. But there were too many voices coming from too many directions and in my opinion our guest wasn't well enough equipped to deal with all the noise.

So the next time you get one like this, just put the thread under moderation. Do you guys have an option that can be set so that you have to approve all posts in a thread before they actually get posted? Like comments on some blogs? If not, that seems like it could be a useful function. It could allow you to limit the input and maintain the peace in threads like this one a little better.

If not, then just tell everyone else to stay out of it for a while, sumbit questions or comments to the thread via PM to a moderator, and you guys decide how much input the thread gets.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  15:34:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck
Use another server, the IP address will give you up every time. And although I admire the balls and the cleverness implicit in the Van Gogh gambit, a simplistic nom de plume would be a better disguise. The gatekeeper here is implacable.
You admiring f*ing stupidity comes as no surprise to me.

But let me ask you this: Aside from registering the pock-puppet early on and making one simple post in another thread, le penseur managed keep away for the stipulated amount of time required by his suspension. If he had waited until today and sent a mail to Dave asking about reinstatement, he could have been back with full previliges. No disguise necessary. Wouldn't that have been much more clever?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  16:28:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So the next time you get one like this, just put the thread under moderation. Do you guys have an option that can be set so that you have to approve all posts in a thread before they actually get posted? Like comments on some blogs? If not, that seems like it could be a useful function. It could allow you to limit the input and maintain the peace in threads like this one a little better.

If not, then just tell everyone else to stay out of it for a while, sumbit questions or comments to the thread via PM to a moderator, and you guys decide how much input the thread gets.

Yeah. We discussed doing exactly that if LP returned. But now he's gone and blown it. Oh well.

And I have to agree with Mab about his cleverness, given that he could have come back here today if he had just been honest and was able to follow some very simple instructions. Most sites don't allow for a way back.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds.