Social Issues
 Don't Talk To Cops
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  15:11:49  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A reply by dude in the "OBL been killed thread" prompted this and I didn't want it to hijack that thread with potential replies being off topic. So I put my reply here.
Part of a reply originally posted by Dude

,,,,I don't want to ever face criminal charges for something that isn't a crime in my country. Things need to change on that front before most people in the US are going to get on board with the idea.,,,

Are you aware that there is a federal law under which you can face criminal charges in the USA for something that is not a crime in the US or in your state but is a crime elsewhere, either another state or country? It's called the the Lacy Act, it's true. I got that from this video of a law professor, an ex-criminal defense attorney, giving a college lecture. It's titled" Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1". Part 2, is given by a police detective, who gets to rebuke or confirms the advice. He agrees to and expounds on part 1. Had Martha Stewart taken this advice she would have been spared 6 months in jail and not affected her career which cost her millions. I feel both parts are a must see and could keep you out of jail or not.
I'm interested in what any thoughts on this advice are or reactions. Should anyone care to have watched all of it. SS

Edit. The part of the video where he mentions the lacy Acct is at 6:17 also 9:08 to 9:58 is good is a good clip if you don't want to watch it in total.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS

Edited by - sailingsoul on 05/09/2011 15:21:24

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  18:45:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Are you aware that there is a federal law under which you can face criminal charges in the USA for something that is not a crime in the US or in your state but is a crime elsewhere, either another state or country?

There are some countries where homosexuality is still illegal, does that mean that gays Americans could be dragged into court in the U.S.?

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  00:34:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

There are some countries where homosexuality is still illegal, does that mean that gays Americans could be dragged into court in the U.S.?
No the lacy Act does not deal with those laws. Even if it did it would have been over turned in 2003. Sexual acts between persons of the same sex have been legal nationwide in the US since 2003, pursuant to the US Supreme Court ruling in Lawrence v. Texas. No need to worry if your thinking of visiting. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  10:24:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you an example of this law? I can't watch videos I have a very poor connection.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  11:51:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

A reply by dude in the "OBL been killed thread" prompted this and I didn't want it to hijack that thread with potential replies being off topic. So I put my reply here.
Part of a reply originally posted by Dude

,,,,I don't want to ever face criminal charges for something that isn't a crime in my country. Things need to change on that front before most people in the US are going to get on board with the idea.,,,

Are you aware that there is a federal law under which you can face criminal charges in the USA for something that is not a crime in the US or in your state but is a crime elsewhere, either another state or country? It's called the the Lacy Act, it's true. I got that from this video of a law professor, an ex-criminal defense attorney, giving a college lecture. It's titled" Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1". Part 2, is given by a police detective, who gets to rebuke or confirms the advice. He agrees to and expounds on part 1. Had Martha Stewart taken this advice she would have been spared 6 months in jail and not affected her career which cost her millions. I feel both parts are a must see and could keep you out of jail or not.
I'm interested in what any thoughts on this advice are or reactions. Should anyone care to have watched all of it. SS

Edit. The part of the video where he mentions the lacy Acct is at 6:17 also 9:08 to 9:58 is good is a good clip if you don't want to watch it in total.

The lacy Act is a law that makes it illegal to transport plants/animals into the US from countries where posession of those plants/animals is illegal. Lets be clear, its a US law. It prevents people from importing meat from endangered species, elephant ivory, and so on. As there are no naturally occuring elephant herds in the US we don't have a law that prevents people from shooting elephants in the US. This law prevents the US from becoming a market for plants/animals that are illegal (to own, kill, eat, collect, etc) in other countries. Its not a bad law.

I'm not saying that it hasn't been abused, but a lot of laws get abused or twisted on occasion. Getting a good lawyer can prevent laws like this from being twisted on you.

Also, the advice of the law professor and police officer in those clips is good advice. The only thing anyone ever needs to say to police if they are questioning you about some crime is nothing. Remain silent, ask for a lawyer, and remain silent. Even if you didn't do anything, all it takes to send you to prison is you saying one thing a cop or prosecutor thinks is suspicious. Just ask the West Memphis Three in Kil's sig.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.