New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  06:44:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by justintime

Originally posted by CRUX

HPV causes cervical cancer only in women.

It's important to remember, perhaps, that men lack a cervix
Droll, Sir.

CRUX, if it matters

If I just said HPV causes cancer in women and not men. It would lose its specificity. There are many types of cancer. In this case HPV causes cervical cancer in women. Men also contract the STD but it does not lead to any form of cancer.
OK, seems you have a problem with English. Sorry . Dave W made a good joke, so I replied that it was droll. That means it was funny.

If you removed the "only", it would make a bit better sense: "HPV causes cervical cancer in women".

Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 06:56:09
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  07:03:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If you removed the "only", it would make a bit better sense: "HPV causes cervical cancer in women".
Still redundant. Just sayin'.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  07:06:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I agree.
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  07:07:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote

well, it could be. I am not sure whether or not HPV can infect other species and have the result of cancer.
Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 07:10:28
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  09:56:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote

well, it could be. I am not sure whether or not HPV can infect other species and have the result of cancer.

You need to be sure of at least what HPV before venturing into some wild speculation.
Note the Human in (HPV)
Human papilloma virus (HPV) (comprende!)
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  10:09:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You need to be sure of at least what HPV before venturing into some wild speculation.

I did not speculate. Your point, then ? No point. Thanks.
e!)Note the Human in (HPV)
Human papilloma virus (HPV) (comprend
The above, is just sad.
Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 10:12:03
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  10:35:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You did speculate even before you checked what HPV was. Your wrote "well, it could be. I am not sure whether or not HPV can infect other species and have the result of cancer.
I repeat HPV the H stands for Human. Human papilloma virus affects humans. No need to speculate any further. Now you can be sure.
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  10:49:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You did speculate even before you checked what HPV was. Your wrote "well, it could be. I am not sure whether or not HPV can infect other species and have the result of cancer.
I repeat HPV the H stands for Human. Human papilloma virus affects humans. No need to speculate any further. Now you can be sure.
Using your absolutely bizarro reasoning, there is no possible benefit from vaccinations of humans, against such items as swine flu.

Are you all right ? I said I don't know. That is not speculating. I avoided speculation in my attempt to offer a more sensible way of writing your goofed-up sentence.
Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 10:52:59
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  11:39:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Using your absolutely bizarro reasoning, there is no possible benefit from vaccinations of humans, against such items as swine flu.

Are you all right ? I said I don't know. That is not speculating. I avoided speculation in my attempt to offer a more sensible way of writing your goofed-up sentence.

Why did you spring up swine flu...there was no mention of it here.
CRUX wrote
To say you are not sure whether or not HPV can infect other species and have the result of cancer.

You already made the wrong assumption about HPV as mentioned here It is a Human papillomavirus(HPV).

CRUX wrote
have the result of cancer.

That's your level of english.
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  11:46:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Because you are getting worked up over the fact that "HPV" has the word "Human" in it. As if the name means it is only ever found in that species named.

To say you are not sure whether or not HPV can infect other species and have the result of cancer.

You already made the wrong assumption about HPV as mentioned here It is a Human papillomavirus(HPV).

you've incorrectly quoted me, haven't you ? What assumption are you going to claim that I made ?

Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 11:50:53
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  13:30:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We all can speculate no longer.
There are more than 40 types of HPV that are passed on through sexual contact.
And as previously pointed out.
I repeat HPV the H stands for Human.
So, how can it affect males?
Most men who get HPV (of any type) never develop any symptoms or health problems. But some types of HPV can cause genital warts. Other types can cause penile, anal, or oropharyngeal cancers (cancers of the back of throat including base of tongue and tonsils).
Cancer anyone? Those are cancers in males. Who here now can justafiably say,,,

,,, after reading this. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  13:54:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can say it. It might be good to remember that men are not a different species from H sapiens. H/T Dave W
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  14:55:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CRUX, the question of whether HPV causes cancer in non-humans didn't make sense in the first place, since the context of the discussion was human male stupidity and women's liberation.

Unless, of course, you want to talk about the plight of female aardvarks. Then perhaps the notion that HPV might cause cancer in aardvarks could be relevant.

Of course, I have no idea where justintime was trying to go with the whole STD argument, anyway.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  15:35:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Because you are getting worked up over the fact that "HPV" has the word "Human" in it. As if the name means it is only ever found in that species named.

you've incorrectly quoted me, haven't you ? What assumption are you going to claim that I made ?

So you did not know that the HPV is specific to humans.
Here let me educate you. The H is HPV is significant because there are different letter designations for the papillomavirus depending on the type of host it affects.

Some examples to help you.

Human papillomavirus (HPV) --is capable of infecting humans.
cottontail rabbit papilloma virus (CRPV)It infects rabbits
Bovine papillomavirus (BPV)that are common in cattle.

CRUX wrote

Here is CRUX again confusing HPV a STD vaccine to swine flu. The poor soul has no idea his command of english does little to help him with his lack of general knowledge and even less when it comes to medical terminology.

I would not want him for a skeptic.....an illiterate is closer to what we are dealing with. Sorry guys.

Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  17:42:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote

CRUX, the question of whether HPV causes cancer in non-humans didn't make sense in the first place, since the context of the discussion was human male stupidity and women's liberation.

Unless, of course, you want to talk about the plight of female aardvarks. Then perhaps the notion that HPV might cause cancer in aardvarks could be relevant.

Of course, I have no idea where justintime was trying to go with the whole STD argument, anyway.
I was only trying to create a suggestion for justintime, in order to help him make some sense in some kind of way.

Mostly what he is producing is irrelevant mixed-up filler, and seemingly put out for distraction.

There are many types of cancer.

It didn't make sense in the first place. Very tittle of his stuff is not foolish prattle.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.