Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  08:47:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Times change, SS, it's web 2.0 now. Onwards and upwards. Animated gifs are coming.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 07/11/2011 08:47:56
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  11:02:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Times change, SS, it's web 2.0 now. Onwards and upwards. Animated gifs are coming.

Oh goody so I can look forward to even more prime examples you your delusions in new and improved cartoons? Bring them on, I love a good laugh. Like the one I got when you moved onward with your blogspot title "Science Based Faith", your humor was not wasted on me. Anyone unable to see the contradiction and lie in that, are just the kind of people you seek. Do you have any plans on hitting them up for money ??? Way more talented liars have made out very well deceiving people like you try doing. Surely you don't have any scruples against profiting form your activities. Theist never do, "pass the basket". SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  11:19:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

............I sense hostility..........

Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  15:08:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cornerstone of western beliefs is based on a borrowed small Jewish sectarian religion (Christianity) and buttressed by the expanding and respectable scientific profundity that we are also descendants of apes.
What rational outcome can we expect from the marriage of these two extreme Dichotomies...INCOHERENCY!!!!
The problem with western thinking is the inability to separate or unify Christianity with Science. The belief that religion and science are in conflict because they provide contradictory answers to our questions about life. Other cultures do not see this conflict between religion and science, and why? The assumption of the universality of Christianity distorts western thinking into believing the struggles of man to harmonize religion with science/evolution is also universal.
Religion and science are not in conflict because they cover separate non-overlapping spheres. Religion is a social phenomenon that has developed with the biological evolution of Homo sapiens—therefore religion should be considered as a part of our biological heritage, and its tenets should be seen as a labile social adaptation, subject to change and reinterpretation. Religion should be seen as a manifestation of evolution, subject to change and reinterpretation.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  19:50:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not just Christians, but Muslims as well. Christian sects are rallying help from Islamic young-earth-creationists in order to combat science. Just think of the horror of having Islamic women demanding equal rights, supported by scientific ideas that men and women are more alike than different....

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  06:15:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

It's not just Christians, but Muslims as well. Christian sects are rallying help from Islamic young-earth-creationists in order to combat science. Just think of the horror of having Islamic women demanding equal rights, supported by scientific ideas that men and women are more alike than different....

Of the many things wrong with religion you happen to pick the least contentious one "womens rights". All religions advocate a submissive role for women (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism etc.)
Women have achieved a higher level of equality in the Western world not through religious enlightenment but through organized womens suffrage movement(Suffragette).

Even in our modern secular culture women are still seen as the weaker sex, exploited, trafficked, and excluded from many areas. And then there are the unintended consequences stemming from these new liberties for the modern women, which needs no elaboration here.

So long as men get sexual gratification from penetration and sex is no longer viewed as just a biological function to procreate, women will always be the target of mens primordial, evolutionary instincts to follow a conscientiousness erection.

If finger tips contacts between male/female provided the same pleasure and gratification. That would be highly impractical, both in terms of getting women to cooperate in aligning all 10 digits of their fingers or insisting all our 10 fingers wear condoms.

We are stuck with a bad situation and we can only make it worse by trying to improve it. C'est la vie.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  11:11:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by justintime
So long as men get sexual gratification from penetration and sex is no longer viewed as just a biological function to procreate, women will always be the target of mens primordial, evolutionary instincts to follow a conscientiousness erection.

Speak for yourself.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  12:07:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
justintime wrote:
What? I would argue that the subjugation of women in history stems almost entirely from testosterone and wombs. The simple fact that the average man is physically more powerful and more aggressive than the average woman, and the fact that women have a much greater biological burden with regards to reproduction has shaped cultural norms and laws throughout history. It is no coincidence that women's liberation coincides with changes in the structure of society and advances in technology which make brains more of an advantage than physical brawn, and which have removed the worst risks of pregnancy and childbirth.

Men enjoy penetration? Yeeeeah.... and women don't? I'm a straight woman, and I gotta say, I love sex. Almost 100% of the sex I've had and will ever have in my life is done for enjoyment and intimacy. Hell, one of the major motivations for me wanting to get married was a desire for regular, safe sex. Also, when the hell in history was sex viewed as "just a biological function to procreate"? The people today who support thinking of sex that way tend to be the homophobic religious right who want to limit women's autonomy and equal opportunity. It is the advocates of women's equality who advocate sex for more than just biological procreation. (Of course human sex has ALWAYS been about more than procreation. This is true of sex for some other social animals, too, most famously bonobos, who are known for their more peaceful and matriarchal nature in comparison to chimpanzees.)

These vague rants of yours that only slightly touch on the topic at hand are getting tiresome already, and you just got here.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 09/23/2011 12:08:58
Go to Top of Page

Falconjudge

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  12:36:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Falconjudge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say I don't agree that men are driven by sexual desire...

"Need no elaboration here?" Given the rest of your argument, I'd say it most certainly does...
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  13:46:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A major part of the struggle by women for equality and liberation was to protest against being treated as sexual objects, good only for making babies and domestication. Sexual exploitation of women is the driving force behind sex trafficking. Penetration is also used as a form of dominance by men over women. That is not to say it is not enjoyable or void of intimacy. But erections do not have a conscience.

During the early Victorian/puritanical era it was quite unseemly for women to express any sexual gratification which is the same reason female genital mutilation is practiced in certain parts of the world. That is not to say that is right...it is just a fact.

The Bible explicitly teaches sex is for procreation. Christianity has dominated the world scene and history for 2 thousand years.

When you look at the growing statistics 80% of women engaged in casual sex will contract STD/HPV by age 50. HPV causes cervical cancer only in women. AIDS is another major sexually transmitted scourge.

Educating women about such risk in a promiscuous culture to what men really want which ironically are liberated women.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  19:48:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

HPV causes cervical cancer only in women.
It's important to remember, perhaps, that men lack a cervix.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  23:00:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
justintime:

"Other cultures do not see this conflict between religion and science, and why? The assumption of the universality of Christianity distorts western thinking into believing the struggles of man to harmonize religion with science/evolution is also universal.

You're saying that the reason "why" the "other cultures" don't see the conflict that you say exists, is because "Western thinking" believes the conflict to be universal ? How does that work ?

Would you like to try again ?

CRUX, if it matters.
Edited by - CRUX on 09/23/2011 23:02:13
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  23:08:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's important to remember, perhaps, that men lack a cervix
Droll, Sir.

CRUX, if it matters
Edited by - CRUX on 09/23/2011 23:09:52
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  05:07:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by CRUX

It's important to remember, perhaps, that men lack a cervix
Droll, Sir.

CRUX, if it matters

If I just said HPV causes cancer in women and not men. It would lose its specificity. There are many types of cancer. In this case HPV causes cervical cancer in women. Men also contract the STD but it does not lead to any form of cancer.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  06:42:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If I just said HPV causes cancer in women and not men. It would lose its specificity. There are many types of cancer. In this case HPV causes cervical cancer in women. Men also contract the STD but it does not lead to any form of cancer.
The phrase "cervical cancer only in women" is redundant. HPV causes cervical cancer.

HPV can't cause cervical cancer in men because men don't have that organ.

By the way:
Educating women about such risk...
You think they don't know?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.