New Cosmos series
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  08:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
‘Family Guy’ Creator Part of ‘Cosmos’ Update

...On Friday the Fox network is to announce that it has ordered a 13-episode series, “Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey,” expected to be broadcast in 2013. As part of a creative team that includes Ann Druyan, Sagan’s widow and a collaborator on the original “Cosmos,” one of the executive producers is Seth MacFarlane, the creator, producer, co-star and animating spirit of “Family Guy,” the bawdy and irreverent Fox cartoon sitcom.

Yet behind a comic sensibility that is sometimes provocative and sometimes puerile, Mr. MacFarlane is a committed fan of the first “Cosmos” who laments a modern society that he says has lost its fascination with science.

“We’re obsessed with angels and vampires and whatnot,” Mr. MacFarlane, 37, said in a telephone interview, “when there are many more exciting and very real and much more spectacular things to be excited about, that are right in our own planetary backyard.”

Niel deGrasse Tyson is set to host the series.

And you know, there continues to be a strange disconnect between Fox news and its prime time programing.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  13:26:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, McFarlane has just cancelled out the enormous negative he had by foisting the absolutely horrendous Family Guy on America.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  15:10:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

Well, McFarlane has just cancelled out the enormous negative he had by foisting the absolutely horrendous Family Guy on America.
Disagree. Family Guy is fantastic. Better than South Park or The Simpsons.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  18:01:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

And you know, there continues to be a strange disconnect between Fox news and its prime time programing.
What could make you say that? I know.
Only a Leftist Commie Atheist, Traitor would say or think that.
Certainly no right leaning fascist Capitalist, Soldier of Christ, Patriotic American can see any disconnect because there is none, you are stupid and wrong. If Glen Beck heard you say that he would say, "Just shut up and leave his country!". SS

edit to add smiley In case someone doesn't realize I was being facisous! ss

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 08/05/2011 21:17:25
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  06:52:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert
Disagree. Family Guy is fantastic. Better than South Park or The Simpsons.

(shrugs) To each his own. I've never come close to cracking even a smile at what little I've seen. And I love The Simpsons (at least the first few seasons when Brad Bird was writing for it). South Park has it's moments (for example, when someone deposits money into a bank... "aaannnd, it's gone"... during the bank meltdown).

Plus Family Guy is completely inappropriate for children, yet many families watch it with their kids (usually the families that would be charitably termed as "low class" or "white trash").

If you watch it with your kids, I certainly don't mean the above pejoratives to apply to you. (This is what over-sensitive PC-ness has reduced me to -- needing to constantly qualify my innocuous comments to avoid offense)

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  09:49:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seth MacFarlane is an outspoken atheist, liberal, and lover of science. In other words, he's one of the good guys. His involvement with the new Cosmos makes perfect sense. In the past, Family Guy has poked fun of creationism and other religious idiocy to great effect.

Here's a clip depicting the state of Kansas' alternative to the theory of evolution.

And here's Peter watching the original Cosmos after it has been "edited" for rednecks.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/06/2011 10:08:51
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  10:20:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. I love Family Guy. And I also agree it's not a kids show. Just because it's animation doesn't mean it has to be a family show. I also like The Simpsons and South Park. South Park is also not a family show. Every one of those shows has also had several skeptically themed episodes.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  11:35:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooD B DANG! SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  18:37:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone think there is a demand for a "space 101" type documentary series in this day and age?
The problem as I see it is that a certain kind of people watch documentaries. And dedicated documentaries about the various subjects covered in Cosmos can be seen almost every day. Because (the original) Cosmos covers so much ground, everything it does not go into much detail on any particular subject.
I think your average documentary-watching audience would watch cosmos today and think "so what? I already knew that".

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  20:16:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Does anyone think there is a demand for a "space 101" type documentary series in this day and age?
The problem as I see it is that a certain kind of people watch documentaries. And dedicated documentaries about the various subjects covered in Cosmos can be seen almost every day. Because (the original) Cosmos covers so much ground, everything it does not go into much detail on any particular subject.
I think your average documentary-watching audience would watch cosmos today and think "so what? I already knew that".

Prime time on Fox will likely draw an audience that doesn't usually tune into documentary series. Add to that how enormously engaging and charismatic Niel deGrasse Tyson is and I think it will work.

Also, while it's true that Cosmos covers a lot of ground, we know much more about the universe than when Sagan did his series. So there will be plenty of new stuff. And what Cosmos excelled at was at connecting the dots. And given the breath of material when discussing the universe, 13 segments of "the best of" will most certainly pull me in. And fully half of what I watch on TV are documentaries. Unless it sucks, I think it will be a hit.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  06:00:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to this...I guess this finally gives me a reason to watch something on Fox (beyond football).

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  12:03:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm excited though bracing for disappointment, heh.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  12:07:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

I'm excited though bracing for disappointment, heh.
Ha! Isn't that the whole theory behind positive pessimism? Best case is you will love it and worst case is you will not be too let down.

I have never ever seen Neil deGrasse Tyson be boring or not interesting. That alone should suffice for me.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.