New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2011 :  10:30:39  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the scientists who first wrote that report are pissed.

By academic standards, the protest amounts to the beginnings of a rebellion: every single scientist associated with the 200-page report has demanded their names be struck from the document. "None of us can be party to scientific censorship so we would all have our names removed," said Jim Lester, a co-author of the report and vice-president of the Houston Advanced Research Centre.

What got cut out?

Any mention of climate change and sea level rise.

As usual, hat tip to PZ Myers.

Have a look at these two comments.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 10/17/2011 10:47:29

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2011 :  10:45:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with what Climate Change scientist are saying is not much different than what has already been said by Pat Robertson. Christians are already well versed on the End of Times.

Edited by - justintime on 10/17/2011 11:17:39
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2011 :  12:23:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by justintime

The problem with what Climate Change scientist are saying is not much different than what has already been said by Pat Robertson.
Not much different? Really? Scientists are warning people that ghostly horsemen are going ride across the sky while Jesus returns with a host of angels to the blare of trumpets?

Christians are already well versed on the End of Times.
Well, no, they aren't, actually. Most Christians hold unbiblical notions about a "rapture" that has been popularized in Christian pop culture and are completely ignorant of the fact that the Book of Revelation was actually a coded critique of Emperor Nero. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the science of Global Warming other than the fact it is yet one more thing most Christians take pride in being ignorant of.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2011 :  12:41:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Christians are already well versed on the End of Times.
Well, no, they aren't, actually. Most Christians hold unbiblical notions about a "rapture" that has been popularized in Christian pop culture and are completely ignorant of the fact that the Book of Revelation was actually a coded critique of Emperor Nero. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the science of Global Warming other than the fact it is yet one more thing most Christians take pride in being ignorant of.

I read that Revelations was about the Roman empire in general but not Nero specifically. Do you have any recommended links/articles where I could get more info? Thanks.
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 10/17/2011 12:42:22
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  06:09:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has to do with the ancient numerology they used, some claim that Nero's name was translated as 666, using this method.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  06:48:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HH wrote:
Most Christians hold unbiblical notions about a "rapture" that has been popularized in Christian pop culture
Not quite most.

As you can see above, a full 41 percent of people in the United States believe that Jesus Christ will either definitely or probably return to Earth before 2050. That number climbs to almost six in 10 when discussing Evangelicals, and more than half of the people living in the South.

And those stats are for America. I have no idea how the pop culture concept of the Rapture has been disseminated among Christians worldwide. Although since it is a relatively modern and American invention, and that it is significantly higher among less educated, Southern, and Evangelicals, I'd be surprised if a larger percentage of non-American Christians believed in it than American Christians.

As for the Nero thing, I don't think that specific of an interpretation has been widely accepted by Biblical scholars, although it seems to be one school of thought.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  09:57:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox
Not quite most.
That's the percentage of American Christians who not only believe in the Rapture, but believe that it will happen in their lifetime. I think you'll find total belief to be somewhat higher.

I have no idea how the pop culture concept of the Rapture has been disseminated among Christians worldwide. Although since it is a relatively modern and American invention, and that it is significantly higher among less educated, Southern, and Evangelicals, I'd be surprised if a larger percentage of non-American Christians believed in it than American Christians.
You're probably right, but "less educated, Southern Americans" seems to be who justintime means when he says "Christians," so it was their beliefs I focused on.

As for the Nero thing, I don't think that specific of an interpretation has been widely accepted by Biblical scholars, although it seems to be one school of thought.
Depends on what you mean by bible "scholars" and whether you include practicing theologians. But it's not a Universally accepted interpretation, no. Then again, I don't think there is any consensus on what exactly Revelations is supposed to mean anyway.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2011 :  15:15:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am willing to make a prediction here. There will be no "Rapture" moment for Americans. Even though revelations point to a celestial moment.

Americans are excluded from this. America's dependence on Chinese to buyout their debt no longer beholds Americans to their faith in Christianity but instead introduces a new master who is less enamored by frolicking escapades and will demand interest over time and force those sympathetic angels to reschedule.

There is no escape from paying a debt. Perish the thought.
Edited by - justintime on 10/21/2011 15:29:56
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2011 :  18:36:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

America's dependence on Chinese to buyout their debt...
Is a myth.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  09:36:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

America's dependence on Chinese to buyout their debt...
Is a myth.

There is a proposal to grant foreigners visas if they invest in real estate in America. Suggested investment minimum $250,000. Even though it is designed to help the devastated housing market. It is the start of the selling of America.

The real US debt will be 93 trillion dollars in 10 years. Currently stands at 50+ trillion dollars.

That the American desperately a way out of this morally bankrupt crisis. Rick Perry started his bid for the Presidency by holding a prayer meeting. Perry said Only God can save America from this crisis.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  10:55:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
justintime:
There is a proposal to grant foreigners visas if they invest in real estate in America. Suggested investment minimum $250,000. Even though it is designed to help the devastated housing market. It is the start of the selling of America.

The visas would be granted on a $500,000 dollar investment. And it's not a terrible idea. As for the selling of America, that started long ago. But buying homes is not exactly selling America.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/66449.html

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  14:44:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

The visas would be granted on a $500,000 dollar investment. And it's not a terrible idea.
Looks pretty good to me. Get foreigners (not specifically Chinese) to come here, and don't let them do more than spend their money without doing more paperwork. If the government sets the fees correctly, I don't see a downside.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  14:35:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is exactly what the politicians want you to believe. There is no downside to this selling of America. The banks got rich selling subprime loans, housing market crashes. Over 5 million Americans lose their homes.

Instead of providing a solution for Americans to stay in their homes and for those who lost it to somehow work with revised loans to pull through.

We now have a major sell-off to foreigners who will be buying it at a fraction of their cost and just as easily selling it when the real estate market improves. The only suckers here are the Americans who got taken.

It appears the only countries that can afford to make such investments are the Russians, Chinese and Indians. The traditional European buyers have bigger problems of their own.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  15:45:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

We now have a major sell-off to foreigners...
No, we don't. We have a proposal working its way through Congress.
...who will be buying it at a fraction of their cost...
No, the bubble burst. Prices today are their costs, now. Nobody is suggesting selling homes to people at 50 cents to the dollar.
...and just as easily selling it when the real estate market improves.
And why is that a problem? We get to use their money in the meantime.
The only suckers here are the Americans who got taken.
That's true whether foreigners buy houses here or not.
It appears the only countries that can afford to make such investments are the Russians, Chinese and Indians. The traditional European buyers have bigger problems of their own.
Is this just a case of jealousy, because you're Canadian?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  21:19:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, but remember...at least our banks didn't need any bailouts! *ducks and runs*

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  18:02:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

We now have a major sell-off to foreigners...
No, we don't. We have a proposal working its way through Congress.
...who will be buying it at a fraction of their cost...
No, the bubble burst. Prices today are their costs, now. Nobody is suggesting selling homes to people at 50 cents to the dollar.
...and just as easily selling it when the real estate market improves.
And why is that a problem? We get to use their money in the meantime.
The only suckers here are the Americans who got taken.
That's true whether foreigners buy houses here or not.
Is this just a case of jealousy, because you're Canadian?

Canadians are the beneficiaries of a lower real estate market in the US. But that is mainly in certain areas like Florida. Why you are guessing I am a Canadian is no surprise. Most Americans thought Iraq was Al' Qaeda. And Obama an African from Kenya.

We don't need such display of ignorance. Even though we do not know if an American is more dangerous when he is wrong than when he is forced to admit he is wrong. Remember the war in Iraq continued even after 2005 when no weapons of mass destruction were found. Here America was force to admit it was wrong but continued the war anyway. for another 6 years.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.