Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  14:33:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

Holy crap, Hal. I just realized that that picture is the ignored's avatar. I never really looked closely, but I always thought (at the size of the avatar) it looked like an eyeball with it's cornea partially incised and flipped up. And yes, I did do a lot of LSD in my youth. Why do you ask?

Ooooooooh! The avatar is so small that it always just looked like a weird eyeball. Okay y'all, please support larger avatars on SFN, as per my recent plea....

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14490
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  16:01:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I guess we should thank flanagan for making this possible. Uuuuuhhh... nah, forget it.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  20:36:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I haven't been around much of late, but I'm sort of sick of flanagan1000 just posting links without comment (or, with minimal comment). As I've noted elsewhere: if he wants to actually discuss some theory ("Oh no! Some Recluse has Predicted that the World will End on Some Random Day or Other!") I'm happy to engage in that, and go over the data and evidence. But this "here's a link" crap where he never even bothers to comment (except to post more links to YouTube videos) is not working.

If I see too much of this, I think I'll flag it with a warning and hope that either a) it stops, or b) ideally, we get some actual dialogue.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  12:22:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Oh, the horror!

As soon as I saw the video, I started thinking about that parasite I don't remember the name of, which alters the brain-chemistry of the rat to loose it's fear of cats.
I only had to scroll down to the comments to be reminded: Toxoplasma Gondii.
We have discussed it on SFN before. Pretty interesting.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 10/26/2011 12:24:26
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  12:31:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

I love pancakes. That one looks perfectly brown, grilled to perfection.
It looks like it is missing the pecans. Pecan Pancakes ... mmmmm.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

flanagan1000
Banned

413 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  12:57:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send flanagan1000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I know I haven't been around much of late, but I'm sort of sick of flanagan1000 just posting links without comment (or, with minimal comment). As I've noted elsewhere: if he wants to actually discuss some theory ("Oh no! Some Recluse has Predicted that the World will End on Some Random Day or Other!") I'm happy to engage in that, and go over the data and evidence. But this "here's a link" crap where he never even bothers to comment (except to post more links to YouTube videos) is not working.

If I see too much of this, I think I'll flag it with a warning and hope that either a) it stops, or b) ideally, we get some actual dialogue.

Whats there t talk aout. The Arrvals give information about how these bloodlines for generations and are seting up to brin forth te Islamic version of the anti christ.

All of the claim and evidence comes fom the vieo. A youtube search puts themin sectionswith spcific topics s you can pick someting that tickle you.
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  15:10:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is about time Americans took nut cases running around loose seriously. Here are some statistics to cause concern. The numbers have doubled since the last study and with the continued economic downturn the situation is only getting worse. Add to it the veterans returning home from Iraq and Afghanistan who will need special treatment for their PTSD. Link: http://www.thekimfoundation.org/html/about_mental_ill/statistics.html

An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older or about one in four adults suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. When applied to the 2004 U.S. Census residential population estimate for ages 18 and older, this figure translates to 57.7 million people.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  18:01:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by flanagan1000

Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Whats there t talk aout. The Arrvals give information about how these bloodlines for generations and are seting up to brin forth te Islamic version of the anti christ.

All of the claim and evidence comes fom the vieo. A youtube search puts themin sectionswith spcific topics s you can pick someting that tickle you.

Oh, wrong answer.

You've now made a statement but failed to provide evidence for your contentions.

Telling us to "pick something that tickles" us is not providing support.

I can now rationally dismiss your statement as unsupported.

Feel free to start your histronics and claim that you feel sick or afraid now.

[edited to change not to now]

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 10/27/2011 05:24:07
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  18:03:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's rather lazy to say "Prove my case for me", isn't it?

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  22:08:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah, this isn't going to work. When god-loving Creationists want to talk about evolution, they don't say-- "Hey, here's the Bible. It's interesting," and then expect one of us to start a discussion debating a topic by slogging through 500 pages of scripture. That's stupid.

If you think something is interesting-- if it challenges how a particular thing is conventionally viewed-- feel free to talk about it. Ideally, there should be some sort of thesis statement ("From all the evidence I've read, the world is going to end on December 12, 2012"). The you would summarize why that is ("There is point A, and also point B. Also relevant is point C"). You'd use links to back up your claim, but not to make your claim for you (Good: "The data for point A can be found in this link. Note where the author says X, Y, and Z, and why those have to be true"; Bad: "link").

At this point, people who are interested would actually join in a discussion. They'd focus on certain aspects of your argument (perhaps point A, or maybe B, etc.), and they'd discuss the evidence you cited. They might offer counter evidence. It could lead to interesting discussion-- much more that you're getting with a bunch of links followed by "there's something to this" and nothing else.

I hope you can see what I'm talking about.
Go to Top of Page

flanagan1000
Banned

413 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  09:01:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send flanagan1000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But with these videos, they make a point, and then provide the evidence in the same video:

For example the claim is that the world is controlled by bloodlines (I think the video states two) and then provides evidence in thesame video to back up there point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqorQpdAv4

In the next part they claim that these people are gatekeepers who have strategically used different points to bring forth the daijal. As seen in this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Olfg6PiPnA&feature=related. Another link also provides evidence to back up this idea of stargates that are used to summon the daijal, as seen in this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrwIlQ57aGs
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  09:23:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by justintime

I think it is about time Americans took nut cases running around loose seriously. Here are some statistics to cause concern. The numbers have doubled since the last study and with the continued economic downturn the situation is only getting worse. Add to it the veterans returning home from Iraq and Afghanistan who will need special treatment for their PTSD. Link: http://www.thekimfoundation.org/html/about_mental_ill/statistics.html

An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older or about one in four adults suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. When applied to the 2004 U.S. Census residential population estimate for ages 18 and older, this figure translates to 57.7 million people.

to put some perspective on your comment:
The prevalence of mental disorders did not change during the decade (29.4 percent between 1990 and 1992 and 30.5 percent between 2001 and 2003, P=0.52), but the rate of treatment increased. Among patients with a disorder, 20.3 percent received treatment between 1990 and 1992 and 32.9 percent received treatment between 2001 and 2003 (P<0.001). Overall, 12.2 percent of the population 18 to 54 years of age received treatment for emotional disorders between 1990 and 1992 and 20.1 percent between 2001 and 2003 (P<0.001). Only about half those who received treatment had disorders that met diagnostic criteria for a mental disorder. Significant increases in the rate of treatment (49.0 percent between 1990 and 1992 and 49.9 percent between 2001 and 2003) were limited to the sectors of general medical services (2.59 times as high in 2001 to 2003 as in 1990 to 1992), psychiatry services (2.17 times as high), and other mental health services (1.59 times as high) and were independent of the severity of the disorder and of the sociodemographic characteristics of the respondents.

this is from the New England Journal of Medicine. So teh prevalence of mental disorders has not changed since 1990

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  09:25:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by Randy

Oh, the horror!

As soon as I saw the video, I started thinking about that parasite I don't remember the name of, which alters the brain-chemistry of the rat to loose it's fear of cats.
I only had to scroll down to the comments to be reminded: Toxoplasma Gondii.
We have discussed it on SFN before. Pretty interesting.

Toxoplasmosis gondii may be one cause of schizophrenia in certain patients diagnosed with schizophrenia

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  10:21:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But with these videos, they make a point, and then provide the evidence in the same video:

For example the claim is that the world is controlled by bloodlines (I think the video states two) and then provides evidence in thesame video to back up there point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqorQpdAv4
Ugh. So I'm going to waste 10 minutes of my life on this stupid thing? Well, let's go...

The video starts off trying to argue that the Pharaohs of Egypt (which ones?) migrated to Europe (!!) and that all of the major European lines of royalty are actually literally descendants of Pharaonic Egypt.

This is, to be sure, an incredibly ignorant assertion, and ignores a vast amount of actual, well-documented history as well as a lack of basic understanding of the royal lines of Pharaonic Egypt.

Indeed, at some point, the claim is that Britain's House of Windsor was just a fabrication designed to hide the dynasty's true "wicked" bloodlines. This sounds cool, except basic history tells us something different, and that the line goes back to the Saxe-Coburg and Saxe-Gotha lines. Because nothing says "Ancient Egypt" like 19th century Germany.

What's so stupid about this is that if there's one thing that can be traced with great precision, it's the bloodlines of European monarchies. But these conspiracy folks make blanket assertions and ignorant people who really want to believe in these grand evil schemes just lap it up. It's incredible.

Of course this "bloodline" has to come to the US where-- and this is never explained-- it sets up camp. Despite the fact that the US has no monarchy, the makers of this low-budget video assert that all our presidents are related-- of course, once you get to "9th cousin twice removed" you're really not all that related; I mean, I'm fairly sure that I can trace some of my family to at least one President (or Presidential candidate) if we're getting to 9th cousin twice removed! Hell, the movie notes a news feature that points out that Bush and Obama are 11th cousins-- and that's with half of Obama's line having NO European connections. In other words, it's almost certain that if you're an American of European heritage who has been in the US for a few generations, you're going to be 11th cousins with a great percentage of Americans. Trying to argue that this is some nefarious conspiracy involving secret bloodlines is nuts.

HOLY CRAP. Ok, and we go from there to some lunatic's assertion that these bloodlines are kept because they are "vehicles for other-dimensional entities to manipulate this reality." Shit. I wish I'd known that this was going to be the punchline of this video.

And then he gets into garbled and incorrect Babylonian mythology, and it goes on and on.

There's no REAL point in discussion this, and that's why your posts are worthless. I don't care if you believe this stuff-- well, I don't care as long as I NEVER have to have any direct or indirect with you. But it's truly pointless to post a 1- minute video where we're supposed to believe that George W. Bush is a descendant from Pharaonic Egypt all so extra-dimensional beings have a foothold in the matters of earth. It's pathetic that anyone produces these videos, and more pathetic that people like you lap them up.

Go to Top of Page

flanagan1000
Banned

413 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  10:32:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send flanagan1000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whats wrong with the babylon mythology?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.