Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Fascinating Blog...even for Skeptics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaulTilian

1 Post

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  19:20:57  Show Profile Send PaulTilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read this blog....it gets to the heart of some of my questions about life and meaning:

http://dragon-slaying77.blogspot.com/

I still have a lot of questions, but the author of these posts seems to make a lot of sense, kinda scary really.

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  20:02:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, that blog post is rather all over the place. I can't even begin to respond. I disagree with a lot of it, but I don't care enough to go into that since he doesn't connect those statements to anything concrete. A lot of the rest I find so vague and out of context that I can't say I fully understand what he's getting at or care.

I can say that while I had a lot of existential angst in my teens and through my early 20's, I got over that all probably by the time I was 23, and I haven't had any problems with being deeply satisfied and appreciative of life since then. My last bouts with feelings of life being not worthwhile were when I was 23 and living abroad. They became intense enough that I sought help from my doctor when I returned to the states. I ended up being diagnosed with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and after a month on my new diet I stopped having suicidal daydreams, and colors literally seems brighter to me. Haven't had a problem since (I'm 33 now.) I feel grateful for the many wonderful people in my life, for all my good fortune, and when I feel restless or bored with aspects of my life, I take control of the situation and usually end up either making art or feeding my intellect and heart by attending plays, dances, concerts, taking a free class I'm interested, stuff like that. Also make sure to have enough human contact through book clubs, teaching, lectures, meetups. Kurt Vonnegut said that whenever couples fight, almost every time what they are really saying to each other is "You're not enough people." I suspect that if family, friends, and career are not enough to give one's life deep meaning, that person needs more. More meaningful (specific and personal) connections, whether they are found in real life interactions or reading a book another person wrote. And sometimes existential angst really is rooted in physiological realities which may or may not be treatable. Some people are just more morose and others more joyful and carefree. And some is caused by one's life just sucking.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  11:04:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marfknox, there's no need of me going there now.
I rarely bother with the first time posters who come out of the gate with such an obviously blatant piece of spam. It is nice to have my suspicions confirmed.

I still have a lot of questions, but the author of these posts seems to make a lot of sense, kinda scary really.
A blind man can read through that. OOhhhh SCARY! I want my mommy. Even the "dragon-slaying" tag was a give away. Zombies anyone?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  15:14:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would anyone ever really read this blog? As Marf noted, the author's musings on life and various aspects of modern culture are hardly noteworthy, and in some cases flawed.

I am glad that there's some young kid out there thinking about things and putting them down on paper (as it were). But that's all it is-- some kid's musings. If it resonates wit you, PaulTilian, great. But for most people older than 23, there's nothing particularly revolutionary or "scary" in how much sense it makes (or, doesn't make).
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 11/08/2011 15:18:01
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  18:44:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quickly grew tired of reading the posts. The only one that seemed even remotely interesting was the one about labelled "The Healing Wounded: When the Church Lets You Down" perhaps because it reminded me of my past in the Pentecostal Church. But my conclusions differ a lot from hers, probably because of our different vantage points, and the fact that I came to my senses and saw religion for the sham it is. She's obviously still deep in the Jebus delusion.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.