Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  09:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to a cocktail party the other day where there were mediums. We picked numbers out of a hat and my husband was the first to go. this particular lady was actually not a medium bit a tarot card reader. my husband asked her a question about his maternal grandmother since passed and through the symbolism of the cards she told him numerous things about her. i was o.k. with it although some things did not jive with what i knew about her.
We went along on our partying and about two hours later my number was called. this time i got the medium. I went in asking no questions while she gave me a reading.
she told me someone was speaking whose name is the same, someone with the letter b. who comes from a long line of the same name. that was me. i am named after a long line of Barbars. Then the subject changed another person was coming through..someones maternal grandmother.. she looked at my husband and said it was his. Coincedence, fraud thought transference mind reading. i am not sure. very interesting though.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:27:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People tend to remember the hits and forget the misses. This sounds like a regular reading, and the tricks are well known.

Having said that, I don't think all of these people are dishonest. I think they are often not aware of the psychological tricks they are playing. I'd be more impressed of the "medium" got the full name right from the git-go.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:35:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
but is it thought transference.. perhaps the brain gives out waves... that other people can interput...nothing to do with the paranormal or my husbands grandmother..but because this was on his mind.. she well read it
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:39:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

but is it thought transference.. perhaps the brain gives out waves... that other people can interput...nothing to do with the paranormal or my husbands grandmother..but because this was on his mind.. she well read it
And here you are speculating on an ability that has not been demonstrated to actually exist. So suggesting how it might happen is putting the cart before the horse.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:41:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I must go to work. I'm sure others will pick up where I left off. But really, it is good to see you again Storm. Sorry if I'm still such a skeptic. It's what we do here, you know...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  10:56:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
have you not had any such experiences anyone of you.
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  18:47:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote

but is it thought transference.. perhaps the brain gives out waves... that other people can interput...

There appears no plausible mechanism for such a phenomenon and there are far more elegant explanations that amply explain it. So, probably not.

nothing to do with the paranormal or my husbands grandmother..but because this was on his mind.. she well read it
Yet it would be paranormal and supernatural, but again refer to the above. There are plenty of natural explanations that are far more likely and work far better to explain the phenomenon. There is no known or plausible way for it to be "thought transference" therefore it is a highly unlikely, totally unnecessary, and more than a bit wishful "explanation."
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  15:58:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I hear the word paranormal or supernatural I think of old wood carvings of demons and werewolves. I do not associate psychic abilitis as supernatural. .while the medium at the cocktail party believed she was talking to spirit guides or souls that have passed. My thoughts on the matter and I must say quite correct matter had something more to do with our minds. Our energy mixing and then being interupted by the medium.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  16:18:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When I hear the word paranormal or supernatural I think of old wood carvings of demons and werewolves. I do not associate psychic abilitis as supernatural.
You should.
while the medium at the cocktail party believed she was talking to spirit guides or souls that have passed. My thoughts on the matter and I must say quite correct matter had something more to do with our minds.
Yeah, she was using her mind to dupe your minds.
Our energy mixing and then being interupted by the medium.
There you go with that "energy" stuff again. As soon as you bring that word into the discussion, all meaning is lost, because you can't define it in any coherent way.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  16:37:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well dave lets work on defying it. I did not feel duped by the mediun. If I told her what I thought might being going on other than ghost or spirits she would definetly disagree. So what if energy is the heat we give off. Possibly the scents we give. Maybe there is information in these things. Are we not balls of enrgy? As i said before maybe this energy given off has information thta others like"mediums" can interput.
Maybe it has to do with hormones... Not to be personel but i have started having hot flashes actually they are longer than flashes.. God I wish they were flash... anyway this usually happens for at least 12 days out of the month.. In that time i notice my thought transfernce is high. last month it was extremely high.. one to three hits a day. No demonic possession no spirit guide.. just my mind
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  17:24:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well dave lets work on defying it. I did not feel duped by the mediun. If I told her what I thought might being going on other than ghost or spirits she would definetly disagree.
Of course she would. You'd be interfering with her bread and butter.
So what if energy is the heat we give off. Possibly the scents we give. Maybe there is information in these things. Are we not balls of enrgy? As i said before maybe this energy given off has information thta others like"mediums" can interput.
Maybe it has to do with hormones...
As I said, you cannot define it in any coherent way. It is pointless to discuss it, because there's an infinite number of "maybes" and "possiblies," and no way to cull them down.
In that time i notice my thought transfernce is high. last month it was extremely high.. one to three hits a day.
You need to keep a journal.
No demonic possession no spirit guide.. just my mind
I don't doubt that it's just your mind. I also don't doubt that it has nothing to do with "energy" or any sort of measurable "thought transference."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  17:34:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do you doubt,
why not entertain the possibility. all theories must start with possibilities.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  18:11:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why do you doubt,
why not entertain the possibility. all theories must start with possibilities.
All theories must start with a testable hypothesis.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  18:26:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So let us make a testable hypothesis? Where should I start? Document my phenomen? but how should I discern suggestion to whats true. My talking about it could suggest to my mind which euqals the phenomena happening...Almost like that notion if you know before hand about a house being haunted than you are more likley to experience the phenomenon... of course this has not happened to me. i have never seen a ghost despite my numerous investigations and auto suggestions
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  18:31:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why do you doubt,
why not entertain the possibility.
Because there's no way to test to see if any of the myriad possibilities you've mentioned are correct. If I entertained every possible thing that came my way, I'd have no time to do anything else. As I said, the possibilities are infinite.
all theories must start with possibilities.
Actually, they start with plausibilities. And vague mumblings about "energy" don't make something plausible.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  18:54:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well Dave if you have no time to entertain all possibilities then don't. but lets try to entertain the things I have put forward.. wait.. watching an old Joan fontain and Robert Ryan movie..its great.. O.K. Once i had an experience with a tarot card reader now me being an avid tarot card reader myself could see through some of things she was saying..but one particular thing she did tell me was that someone was trying to contact me from the other side.. she could not tell me who. I went home from my reading and went about my family duties and went to sleep. Some hous later I awoke to loud banging on my bedroom door. scared out of my wits I woke my husband u and he opened the door and checked the whole house. No One. Fell back asleep leaving it to imagination when yet again a loud banging awaken me from my sleep. this time I moved closer too my husband and after a short while the knocking stopped. I never heard it again. Definetly a suggestion to my mind. But why at that time? I have had many readings since and nothing like that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.