Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  07:26:24  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
* Click image for larger version *

IKEA
* Click image for larger version *

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/06/2012 22:58:59

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  15:19:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  16:31:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So that's what happened to Abba.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  20:44:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Awesome!
That's especially appreciated coming from you, Mab. Never let it be said (except in Moonscape News) that Swedes are poor sports.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  20:49:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Apparently. Funny the stuff one stumbles onto when researching a travesty like the OP. That, and the IKEA founder's pro-Nazi past. (That last was "funny peculiar," not "funny ha-ha.")

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/05/2012 22:53:54
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  10:34:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Självmord bror. Naughty HalfMooner.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  15:32:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Yeah, they ended up in a jar with pickeled herring.

I suppose pickeled herring is an acquired taste, but I like it.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  22:55:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

Självmord bror. Naughty HalfMooner.
Damn! I forgot some people here can read Swedish. (For the rest of you, that means "suicidal brother," at least as Google translates it.)

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/06/2012 23:00:35
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  06:48:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering: What's the opinion of Swedes regarding IKEA and its products? (In the USA people who consider themselves hip seem to have a high opinion of IKEA.)

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  07:18:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Just wondering: What's the opinion of Swedes regarding IKEA and its products? (In the USA people who consider themselves hip seem to have a high opinion of IKEA.)

While not a Swede, I do own some IKEA furniture.

I do not share the hipsters opinion.

It really depends on the product and what you want them to do.

It's mostly pressboard for the table tops and dressers. I was underwhelmed. The bed had headers and footers made of presswood which, under strain of holding my fat ass, would crack. The mattresses are firm so far and the slats are OK. The metal filing cabinet went together like on the instructions but the drawers won't lock like they are supposed to.

It was in my budget.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  07:58:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Furnitures from stores that cost twice as much isn't twice as good. Hence, IKEA is considered good value for the money. We live in a climate where humidity isn't an issue for the particle boards most of the IKEA furniture is made of. Most of the bookshelves at home are from IKEA, and I'm satisfied with them, and planning on buying more.

Of course, if you think you belong above the middle-class, then "IKEA is soooo middle-class" you will need to boycott them just because it damages your prestige...
(snobs)

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  09:28:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Val and Mab. To crudely average out the two data-points above, it seems to me that IKEA stuff is competitive, though not beyond criticism. I have no problem at all with items being considered "so middle-class." That's part of the economics of scale and of mass production. (That would actually be a bit of brag from my economic viewpoint.) But there are no IKEA stores anywhere in the Philippines. In this archipelago, there is only online shopping for IKEA. And the Philippines has a very high tariff on all imports.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/07/2012 09:50:41
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  13:45:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

As someone who left Sweden a while back, I try to go to IKEA whenever we are near one (the closest one is currently some 5 hours away in Vancouver). I do this mainly to stock up on mustard and eat meatballs in the restaurant now-a-days. They used to sell more swedish food-stuffs like Marabou chocolate and Julmust, but they seem to have stopped doing that.

As for the furniture, it is mostly decent quality and it does not tend to miss any pieces (the joke used to be that there was always at least one screw missing). In saying that, we bought a dresser a couple of years ago that came with two left sides! Pissed me off, that one.

The main problem with IKEA outside of Sweden, I think, is the distinct lack of gorgeous blondes...

P.S. Not that it really matters, but "Självmord bror" would translate more into "suicide brother".

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  15:51:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks
They used to sell more swedish food-stuffs like Marabou chocolate and Julmust, but they seem to have stopped doing that.
Aww, that's just criminal. Especially Julmust, there are few beverages that are more traditional than that in Sweden.

Every Christmas Coca-Cola spends millions in Santa-Claus-drinks-coke commercials in hope that Swedes will opt out Julmust at the dinner table. One would have thought that their economists would stop the marketing department saying enough is enough, but oh-no...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  17:36:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One would have thought that their economists would stop the marketing department saying enough is enough, but oh-no...

It seems you have never heard of a long con.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  22:51:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chefcrsh

One would have thought that their economists would stop the marketing department saying enough is enough, but oh-no...

It seems you have never heard of a long con.
Here in the Philippines, there are roughly 100 million human beings, with another 11 million or so working overseas. There are also about 10,000 quadrillion insects.

So perhaps it's not odd that the Philippines is the only country on Earth that has an insect as the mascot of its most successful fast food chain.

The Jollibee.

In the 1970's, Jollibee saw that McDonalds was coming to the Philippines. It met the invasion with great skill:
Sometime in the late 1970s, Tony Tan Caktiong, the owner of a small ice cream parlor in a lower- middle-class neighborhood here, learned that an American hamburger chain was coming to invade the Philippines.

Worried that his store, which had just started selling burgers, might get floored by the new competition, Tan Caktiong, a Filipino of Chinese descent, took a leaf from the Chinese military tactician Sun Tzu: he flew to the United States to know his future enemy.

When he returned to the Philippines a few weeks later, Tan Caktiong brought with him an arsenal of ideas on how to fortify his store, called Jollibee, to face the newcomer.

What followed was a classic tale of survival that quickly became a Filipino legend that is now being retold in the country's business schools, often with a tinge of nationalistic pride directed against the U.S. burger chain in question, McDonald's.
In effect, Jollibee told McDonalds, "I drink your milkshake!"

But after their first defeat, "McDo," as it's called here, settled down to prosecuting the "long con." They are still far behind Jollibee, but have restos everywhere and are doing well.

Meanwhile, Jollibee has expanded successfully into Asia and the USA.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/07/2012 23:09:43
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.