Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  21:41:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

I will never shut up!
Good for you, and I never meant you literally should be silenced. But just as nobody's going to silence you, nobody's going to pay you serious attention if you make unfounded statements. That process is well underway.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  06:05:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wouldn't say I was monumentally ignorant. And I get the point. But thats just it ghost phenomena still continues. Reports still made. Its not something we could not replicate and then it went away. As science knows sometimes the way in which we test and investigate needs to be tweeked and changed.Science and skeptics still live in the paradigm of fraudelant mediums, touched up photos or doctored videos. Mediums still think they speak with the dead. We need a knew way of thinking, a knew way of investigating. Not the expactation that the phenomena can be called out to appear like these ridiculous ghost hunter do on t.v.
not every experience is subterrain rusty pipes or expanding wood. or grieving relatives. Actually most of your ghost reports have nothing to do with family members.They are usually associated with a tragic history. Just because we can't replicate ghostly phenomena does not mean it does not exist. Actually ghostly phenomena does replicate itself we just can't control it.

Anectdotal evidence is not a compelling reason for someone to fund something.

Randi's challenge for the million is offered under the caveat of that individual being able to prove their assertions under controlled conditions.

As the current state of "ghost research" consists primarily of American Spiritualism surrounded by assumptions with no scientific basis, the primary funding is through private individuals who believe the underlying assumptions on faith. (some folks may insert some quotes by P. T. Barnum at this point about funds)

While I believe in the existance of ghosts and have seen one, I know that my observations were incomplete and not fully investigated to exclude optical tricks and the effects of electromagnetic radiation on the human mind. I would be foolish to expect that people should line up to offer me cash to investigate it further.

The entire assumption that electromagnetic radiation is produced by ghosts is unproven. The entire assumption that ghosts can speak to people so softly that only ultralow frequencies or enhanced digital recorders can capture them is likewise unfounded. Quite a few EVP's that I have listened to could be interpreted several ways and in some cases can sound like random background noise.

The human brain is wired to recognize patterns. Even when those patterns do not exist.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  07:20:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wouldn't say I was monumentally ignorant. And I get the point. But thats just it ghost phenomena still continues. Reports still made. Its not something we could not replicate and then it went away. As science knows sometimes the way in which we test and investigate needs to be tweeked and changed.Science and skeptics still live in the paradigm of fraudelant mediums, touched up photos or doctored videos. Mediums still think they speak with the dead. We need a knew way of thinking, a knew way of investigating. Not the expactation that the phenomena can be called out to appear like these ridiculous ghost hunter do on t.v.
not every experience is subterrain rusty pipes or expanding wood. or grieving relatives. Actually most of your ghost reports have nothing to do with family members.They are usually associated with a tragic history. Just because we can't replicate ghostly phenomena does not mean it does not exist. Actually ghostly phenomena does replicate itself we just can't control it.

I don't think you actually understand. I think you are stuck with a willfully ignorant mindset that allows you to dismiss the entire scientific knowledge base and persist with your belief in ghosts.

If you can actually point out a "ghostly phenomena" that "does replicate itself", go ahead and start another thread in the appropriate folder and share the details.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  13:23:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you said you saw a ghost Valiant. What was your experience and why do you think it was a ghost? What is your interputation anyway? Souls of the Dead? It depends on the anectdotal. People do not line up because of Spiritualism and the current ridicuolous ghost investigations that go on on t.v. Dave ghostly images do replicate themselves. You just have to go to these places. The only thing is they do not replicate it on command. And we do not know the conditions. The fact is the public is convinced its sould of the dead. Science thinks it s fraudelent or bad memories. No wants to take the time or the money to seriusly investigate. I have no ghosts in my house so I cannot investigate. I also do not have the means of living in a facility or more to investigate. It is unfortunate but true.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  13:47:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If you said you saw a ghost Valiant. What was your experience and why do you think it was a ghost? What is your interputation anyway? Souls of the Dead? It depends on the anectdotal. People do not line up because of Spiritualism and the current ridicuolous ghost investigations that go on on t.v. Dave ghostly images do replicate themselves. You just have to go to these places. The only thing is they do not replicate it on command. And we do not know the conditions. The fact is the public is convinced its sould of the dead. Science thinks it s fraudelent or bad memories. No wants to take the time or the money to seriusly investigate. I have no ghosts in my house so I cannot investigate. I also do not have the means of living in a facility or more to investigate. It is unfortunate but true.

Full roaming apparition. I could see items on the bulletin board through the figure. Female, early 20's, period dress of 1920's. Play being performed was a greek tradgedy. Apparition disappeared.

What I think ghosts are is immaterial to the subject being discussed.

People don't line up because they are unconvinced by the methods.

I am still awaiting some sort of scientific study or investigation into the electromagnetic radiation assumption and the EVP assumption.

Science does not assume fraud or incorrect memories. Science points out the lack of the "investigator" searching for other explainations for the reported phenomenon. Just jumping to the assumption that the phenomenon is a ghost without investigating it fully is not compelling evidence.

See confirmation bias. The investigator cannot immediately explain the phenomenon and does not do any further research beyond a cursory "what did I think I saw" one. They do not consider other phenomenon that may explain things.

No one wants to throw good money after bad for an investigation which is based on baseless assumptions. ("spirits" produce electromagnetic fields and EVP)

Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  14:37:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not think it is immaterial at what your opinion of what a ghost is. I would like to know what you thought you saw. a soul of a 1920's girl or left over energy. EVP real voices of the dead? Or the investigators own mind answering the questions?
I do not think the phenomena of ghosts are baseless assumptions.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  17:49:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I do not think it is immaterial at what your opinion of what a ghost is. I would like to know what you thought you saw. a soul of a 1920's girl or left over energy. EVP real voices of the dead? Or the investigators own mind answering the questions?
I do not think the phenomena of ghosts are baseless assumptions.

You overgeneralized.

The baseless assumptions were that the EVP and Electromagnetic fields were CAUSED by ghosts.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  22:28:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Bolding mine.

First, this forum does have a spell checker.

Second, about the bolded sentence, start a new thread in the appropriate folder and provide details of one single example of this claim you are making.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.