Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  06:19:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

sure ignore the fact people are assigning human motivations to Ancient Aliens, and get sidetracked on something I said about God.
We can talk about both.

What was the angle of the Sun in the Mars photo? Since the only examples we have of any beings building monoliths are human, isn't "aliens built a monolith on Mars" precisely the sort of anthropomorphizing you're now criticizing?

Aren't you guilty of attributing human motivations to God? The Bible certainly is.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  06:27:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where's the original Mars image, anyway?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  09:24:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote

sure ignore the fact people are assigning human motivations to Ancient Aliens, and get sidetracked on something I said about God. How typically evasive of you all.
Have you ever heard the expression "pot calling the kettle black"? And why would the Aliens have to be Ancient? And capitalized?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  11:30:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whole deal boils down to this: Actual imaging has its limitations, and the human brain tends to fill in the details. But the more experienced one is in looking at these things, the less errors one make. I've been staring at images of the Martian surface for years. I find it fun and interesting, but it would simply be a waste of time were I not retired.

But my reaction to the image in the OP here was to immediately groan. As Dave W. said, it looked like nothing but a "fucking rock."

It's probably roughly oblong on one side, but one can see from its shadow that it does not have sharp corners at its upper end. About the only thing interesting about it is that it looks as though it's standing on one end in an unusual way. Most landslide rocks fall more or less flat, though a few stop in a delicate balance, like the rare dropped coin that lands on its edge.

Also, it's possible/probable that the bottom of that boulder is much thicker than the top, and that this thicker part is hidden in the shadow.

With thousands of people on the Web staring at millions of square kilometers of Martian surface, some odd things will be perceived. Ordinary people looking at the surface of Mars may use image software meant to enhance the images, but that sometimes introduces artifacts into them.

Unless we want be laughed at as credulous idiots, it might be wise to be cautious about making statements about "alien monoliths." Especially after the fiasco with many silly people going nuts over the "Face of Mars" hill. That so-called "anomaly" looked absolutely different - and completely natural - when we saw a higher-res image became available. The area of the hill that had been in deep shadow in the original image was revealed, making the thing look like nothing more than a fucking hill!

Most of those credulous people probably did not even blink an eye at the disproof, but this is a skeptical site, and we will, we will, mock you!

Unless and until we see something clearly weird (and don't just imagine it!), that thing's just another fucking rock in the debris field of a known landslide.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  17:16:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Such a perilous location is itself an argument against deliberate placement by aliens: "If I was going to build a monolith somewhere, that's the last place I would put it!" he said. "The debris falling from the cliff would cover it up pretty quickly, on geologic timescales."

I love it when people presume that they know the motivations/intentions of ancient aliens. It's almost as hilarious as when they assume to know the mind of God.

Looks like a rock to me.

You ever post elsewhere by the handle SeeThruArt or Piper, OFfC?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  19:06:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Gah! He Who Shall Not Be Named! Abandon all hope!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  21:15:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

nope, not me

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  10:29:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, OFFC, not going to answer the questions I asked you?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  15:32:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I think you could probably get the answers yourself with about 5 minutes of research.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  16:28:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, I think you could probably get the answers yourself with about 5 minutes of research.

Ohhhhh.

Flag on the play.

Shifting the burden of proof from the claimant.

15 yard penalty. Repeat second down.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  16:29:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It took me a minute to find this,,,
According to Jonathon Hill, a research technician and mission planner at the Mars Space Flight Facility at Arizona State University,,(snip),,,Hill added that the height of the boulder is being exaggerated in the photo by a low sun angle. Photographed when the sun was near the horizon, the boulder casts an especially long shadow. link

Forget the monolith, it's a non-story. Forget it, it's bullshit. That's obviously not been built by ancient aliens, it's already been identified as a rock.

Does anyone besides me see "God sleeping" where I pointed HIM out? Looks like he sleeps with his beard out on top of his blanket, just like Santa Clause does when he sleeps. That's what freaking me out, not the non-monolith.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  17:49:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Such a perilous location is itself an argument against deliberate placement by aliens: "If I was going to build a monolith somewhere, that's the last place I would put it!" he said. "The debris falling from the cliff would cover it up pretty quickly, on geologic timescales."

I love it when people presume that they know the motivations/intentions of ancient aliens. It's almost as hilarious as when they assume to know the mind of God.

Isn't that what you xians do, by way of your bible (the so-called "word" of god)?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  18:03:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So you're just going to wallow in your own preconceptions, then. Ho-hum.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  19:12:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored
Isn't that what you xians do, by way of your bible (the so-called "word" of god)?

Maybe people ignore you because you just repeat other people.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  20:19:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How hypocritical. I can't remember you doing even the slightest bit of research, ever. You always seem to want to frame your own burden of proof for extraordinary claims as being someone else's burden to disprove them.

You show us an unclear image of a rock on Mars, call it an "Ancient Alien monolith," then expect us -- what? -- to go to Mars and prove it's not? And even if we came back with such proof, then would you point at the next rock a little ways away on the image, and make wild claims about it?

"Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence" doesn't mean the skeptics must supply evidence for every foolish claim made by others. Never has meant that, never will.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/16/2012 20:24:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.