Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  09:03:11  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm probably not the only one, but I recieved this PM today here at SFN.

Hello how are you today?
I hope you are fine and all is well with you. I got your contact as i was looking for a good relationship. I am sorry to bother you with my proposal for a relationship with you, but i know that you will grant my request in good faith and understanding.

My name is Miss Hazina Samuel, i am an honest, sincere and God fearing girl. I would like to know more about you, send me an email to my email address (samuel_hazina@yahoo.com) so i can send you more details about me and to send you my pictures. I believe we can move from here. I believe that color, religion, language, age, country, tribe, distance etc has nothing to do with real friendship, i believe real friendship is all about love, care, trust etc for each other.

I will be waiting for your mail to my email address samuel_hazina@yahoo.com
Cheers ,
Miss Hazina

It pretty much amazes me that anyone would go to the trouble of registering to a skeptics site to attempt such and obvious 419 scam. Miss Hazina and a few years ago,Ms Christel made the same attempt by way of our SFN private messaging feature. And like Ms Christel, all it took was a simple google search to see that Miss Hazinal gets around:

MISS HAZINA SAMUEL

I'm officially suggesting that these people get better dictionaries. But it does make me happy that someone would waste the time it takes to register here at SFN and then look up members to spam with their scam. The more time they spend at such an unlikely place to find anyone credulous enough to bite is time they aren't cruising for greener pastures.

I'm considering stringing this one along for a while, as I did with Ms Christel for the reason of wasting their time. (I say wasting their time because it's obvious that the info on Miss Hazinal is shared among the scammers, or a single group of scammers. Likely fake identifications, photos and such will be sent to me if I pursue this.)

Anyhow, there it is. Usually I just ban the screen name, and Miss Hazina was no acception. But sometimes I think it's worth the effort to waste their time, which really doesn't take much effort at all. In fact, I left her address in the quote, because I thought that maybe it would be fun if several of us wrote back? Be creative. We can compare notes!

If you do decide to write back, remember to not give out any personal information at all. But you probably already know that.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  09:21:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got that one, too. Our software is set up so that people who are freshly registered cannot PM anyone but staff members, so our regulars here shouldn't have been spammed.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  10:33:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I got that one, too. Our software is set up so that people who are freshly registered cannot PM anyone but staff members, so our regulars here shouldn't have been spammed.
Yeah, I got it, too. Sadly, I am already spoken for.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  11:06:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... I responded:

David Gluck david_gluck@skepticfriends.org
11:04 AM (0 minutes ago)

Miss Hazina,

New pen-pals are always welcome:

Regards,

David

--
David Glück
Skeptic Friends Network
www.skepticfriends.org

Note that I did not in any way try to hide that I am a member of a skeptical organization. Let's see what happens?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  16:08:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to how this "relationship" develops.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  11:40:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked the IP. These letters originate in Dakar, Senegal.

Anyhow, here is the first response to my reply:

Hello dear,
I am writing to you with due respect and equally with heart full of tears and sorrows since we have not known or met ourselves previously. Please, i mean no harm to you only that i am in a desperate situation and need urgent help. After going through this mail, it will be your decision, whether to help me or to leave me to my faith, but whatever you decide, bear in mind, i am in trouble and need your help.

I am asking for your assistance after i have gone through a profile that speaks good of you. I will be so glad if you can allow and lead me to the right channel towards your assistance to my situation. I will make my proposal well known if i am given the opportunity. I would like to use this opportunity to introduce myself to you.

Anyway, i am Hazina Samuel, 21 years old girl, the only daughter of Dr.Samuel Doe, my father is now late,I lost the entire member of my family during the crises and i was lucky to be in burden school when the war started. My late father died during the last crisis in my country (Liberia)West Africa. He was one of the high officers standing against the leadership of formal President,Charles Taylor who is now in exile after many innocent souls were killed, My father was unlucky to be among those that were killed by the rebel.

The main reason why i am contacting you now is to seek for your assistance in the area of my future investment and also for a help hand over of some huge amount of money in my possession. This money $6,000,000:00 (Six million USA dollars) was deposited some years ago by my father, he made me the sole beneficiary. Please, i am now asking you to stand on my behalf to make this claim to stand as my partner oversea and in time of the investment as well.

As i have mention earlier i will make the procedure to this issue to be well known to you if you give me the opportunity to do so.
Please attach your direct contact information as you reply to me.

Thanks and remain bless.
Miss Hazina.

And here's my reply:

David Gluck david_gluck@skepticfriends.org
11:29 AM (9 minutes ago)

Hi Hazina,

May I call you Hazina? Miss Hazina seems so formal. I’m not well acquainted with the customs in your country, and I wouldn’t want to offend you. In any case, please call me David.

I’m very sorry to hear about your troubles. I thing we can all agree that war is a terrible thing. Losing all of your loved ones must be tough. Heck, my previous cat died almost four years ago and I’m still not over him. But then, how can a cat compare to losing a family? Do you like cats?

I’m glad my profile speaks well of me. I’m just not sure what profile you are talking about, but it’s nice to know that it’s there, wherever it is. If it says that I’m an honest man, it’s true. I’m sometimes too honest and it gets me in trouble from time to time. Sometimes being honest is a curse, if you know what I mean.

Speaking of that, you have a very honest face. At my age I have become a very good judge of faces, and yours is a good one.

I’m a bit confused about what I can do for you? You have said something about being a partner overseas, but I don’t know what that means? How come you need someone overseas if the money is yours? Do you mean to make investments for you? I’ve dabbled in the stock market before, and even made enough for my retirement.

I’m also not sure what you mean about contact information. Is my email address not enough? What sort of information do you need?

Since my wife died and my kids have grown, I don’t have much to do anymore. It’s always nice to make new friends. :-)

Sincerely,

David
--
David Glück
Skeptic Friends Network
www.skepticfriends.org

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  23:18:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who finds this scam-baiting thing kind of childish?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  00:10:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Yes.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  00:22:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Every second they spend responding to me, is a second they lose actually scamming someone else.

Plus, what's so wrong with childish fun? Which reminds me. I haven't responded yet to the last letter. The real 419 letter. This person is getting down to business fast!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  00:57:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Every second they spend responding to me, is a second they lose actually scamming someone else.
. . .
I agree. It's also an educational experience for everyone who reads this thread. Maybe some lurker here will be spared making an expensive and humiliating mistake, or be in a position to warn someone else against making one.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  01:34:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone that stupid deserves to be conned.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  03:10:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I'm probably not the only one, but I recieved this PM today here at SFN.

Hello how are you today?
I hope you are fine and all is well with you. I got your contact as i was looking for a good relationship. I am sorry to bother you with my proposal for a relationship with you, but i know that you will grant my request in good faith and understanding.

My name is Miss Hazina Samuel, i am an honest, sincere and God fearing girl. I would like to know more about you, send me an email to my email address (samuel_hazina@yahoo.com) so i can send you more details about me and to send you my pictures. I believe we can move from here. I believe that color, religion, language, age, country, tribe, distance etc has nothing to do with real friendship, i believe real friendship is all about love, care, trust etc for each other.

I will be waiting for your mail to my email address samuel_hazina@yahoo.com
Cheers ,
Miss Hazina

It pretty much amazes me that anyone would go to the trouble of registering to a skeptics site to attempt such and obvious 419 scam. Miss Hazina and a few years ago,Ms Christel made the same attempt by way of our SFN private messaging feature. And like Ms Christel, all it took was a simple google search to see that Miss Hazinal gets around:

MISS HAZINA SAMUEL

I'm officially suggesting that these people get better dictionaries. But it does make me happy that someone would waste the time it takes to register here at SFN and then look up members to spam with their scam. The more time they spend at such an unlikely place to find anyone credulous enough to bite is time they aren't cruising for greener pastures.

I'm considering stringing this one along for a while, as I did with Ms Christel for the reason of wasting their time. (I say wasting their time because it's obvious that the info on Miss Hazinal is shared among the scammers, or a single group of scammers. Likely fake identifications, photos and such will be sent to me if I pursue this.)

Anyhow, there it is. Usually I just ban the screen name, and Miss Hazina was no acception. But sometimes I think it's worth the effort to waste their time, which really doesn't take much effort at all. In fact, I left her address in the quote, because I thought that maybe it would be fun if several of us wrote back? Be creative. We can compare notes!

If you do decide to write back, remember to not give out any personal information at all. But you probably already know that.

I should give them the email address of the fucker in my sig!

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  03:11:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The motto of religious evangelists everywhere.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  03:57:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's a rather cynical attitude for someone claiming to be christian.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  04:11:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

That's a rather cynical attitude for someone claiming to be christian.
Oh, no, Mab! It's a statement of hope and faith.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  07:59:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Who knew that you're a social Darwinist? Go figure.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.