Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  04:08:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I'm surprised you haven't noticed it, since almost every serious topic has some example of aghast, reactionary, liberals expressing disbelief at some truly terrible person/thing in the world. But it's more likely you choose not to notice, therefore me giving examples is only going to lead to you dismissing every case with some kind of ad hoc special pleading.
No, a general mudslinging condemnation without a single example won't do.

If what you say is so, it should be quite easy to provide many examples. Many is a lot more impressive than none, despite your added hyperbole. Evidence, and real examples are required.

I'm calling you on this for distorting reality. Evidence could persuade me to think otherwise, but all you've done so far is dump a steaming pile of BS on the floor.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  05:03:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it could be worse I guess, they could have called the team "The Brights"!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  05:12:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Well, it could be worse I guess, they could have called the team "The Brights"!
Indeed, that'd be the absolute worst.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  06:04:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Convinced

I think this is pretty clever.

This statement from the article is so true:

Good fun. Right. Surely this won’t turn into a ridiculous, overblown political debate about the role of religion in society.

I'm not seeing a problem with this.

People have been calling the NFL team out of New Orleans the Aints for years.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  07:08:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fun. And I'm fine with the name. There are many examples of team fictional names/mascots.
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  07:15:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Good fun. Right. Surely this won’t turn into a ridiculous, overblown political debate about the role of religion in society.

That happens at the point in the season when they inevitably fall apart. The Louisiana branch of my family was actually a little confused about the 2009 team, but now that that success has been tainted by the "bounty" scandal, everyone's back in their comfort zone.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  07:17:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if they're going all the way with this, shouldn't it be the pre-conversion Mr. Saul Ain'ts?
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  07:44:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This board seems like it's mission statement is to find new things every week to be shocked and appalled by.
That's because those things are shocking and appalling. Lying, cheating, and being dishonest are not Christian core values, yet people holding such ideals sacred are caught violating them.
High profile Mega Church homophobic-preaching minister is caught snorting cocaine and banging male prostitutes.
Please find me a high profile atheist guilty of violating the very "dogma" he's preaching.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  08:59:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  10:05:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stand by my minor outrage!* They can claim the team wasnt named the saints for religious reasons however the city for which the team is named certainly was. Saying Mr. Paul Aints is directly saying that this revered religious figure was not holy or saintlty. I dont know how anyone can say it isnt insulting. It cannot be compared to New Orleans Aints as that moniker refers only to their historical ineptitude, the two are not equatable.

*It is strange being a skeptic sometimes as you find yourself defending things you don't really care very much about at length.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  10:53:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Religious people often have a remarkably thin skin when it comes to being "offended."
Same could be said about atheists. This board seems like it's mission statement is to find new things every week to be shocked and appalled by.
I think you'e made a mistake confusing "offended" with "shacked and appalled" here. I can be shocked and appalled that a Texas school board wants to put Creationism in its science curriculum, but that's not the same thing as being offended by it.

If someone wants to give its sports nickname some sort of theistic/church element ("Angles" or "Saints" or "Friars" or "Padres" or whatever), that doesn't offend me. I'm not offended that there exists in high schools all across the country a club called "Fellowship of Christian Athletes" where Christian football players and cheerleaders can sit around and talk about Jesus or whatever. I am not even offended if a Wal-Mart greeter says "Merry Christmas" to me. And I am pretty sure that most people here would share a similar sentiment.

On the other hand, though, some Christians do seem to be offended at anti-Christian mascots. They are totally offended that someone might not want to express well-wishes in the name of their favorite religious holidays. And no doubt if someone tried to start an atheist group in a high school, Christians would be offended.

Remember: to "offend" is to cause resentment or anger or wounded feelings. Most people at SFN aren't offended-- that is, they don't feel resentment or anger-- when someone wants to push their ridiculous religious beliefs in a science classroom. The reaction we have is based on our understanding of how public education, science, and the legal system works (or should work) in America. Not the same thing as a Christian resenting the fact that someone doesn't buy into the same religious mumbo-jumbo that they're peddling.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 07/19/2012 10:57:07
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  11:25:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This board seems like it's mission statement is to find new things every week to be shocked and appalled by.
I am shocked and appalled this week by your horrendous abuse of an apostrophe.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  13:50:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I stand by my minor outrage!* They can claim the team wasnt named the saints for religious reasons however the city for which the team is named certainly was. Saying Mr. Paul Aints is directly saying that this revered religious figure was not holy or saintlty. I dont know how anyone can say it isnt insulting. It cannot be compared to New Orleans Aints as that moniker refers only to their historical ineptitude, the two are not equatable.

*It is strange being a skeptic sometimes as you find yourself defending things you don't really care very much about at length.

If he's a saint that implies he was supposed to have performed miracles, so, yes, I am comfortable directly saying this figure didn't do that, and therefore, can't (or shouldn't) be a saint. The same with holy, if holy is to imply supernatural things.

Doesn't your argument also imply saying Jesus wasn't holy or didn't perform miracles is also an insult? I challenge anyone's being offended by this.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  13:54:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I am shocked and appalled this week by your horrendous abuse of an apostrophe.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  22:05:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Your minor outrage is noted, and discarded. Let's break that down. Really BigPapa, it seems to me you are implicitly saying two separate things: 1) Use of the "Aints" name is offensive to some Christians. 2) Atheists should not offend Christians.

The first is almost certainly true. Christers and being easily offended seem too often to go together like peanut butter and jelly. I think we can stipulate to that. The second part is where, I think, we need to do some hard thinking.

If atheists were to avoid offending all Christians, what would we have to do? It seems to me that we'd have to (depending upon the tastes of the Christians we were trying to appease) kill ourselves, convert to Christianity, be forever silent ("don't ask, don't tell"), or be lynched by a mob.

Compared to any of these, offending Christians looks like a positively wonderful and positive thing to do. But maybe that's just me.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/19/2012 23:12:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.