New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  05:02:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I stand by my minor outrage!* They can claim the team wasnt named the saints for religious reasons however the city for which the team is named certainly was. Saying Mr. Paul Aints is directly saying that this revered religious figure was not holy or saintlty. I dont know how anyone can say it isnt insulting. It cannot be compared to New Orleans Aints as that moniker refers only to their historical ineptitude, the two are not equatable.

*It is strange being a skeptic sometimes as you find yourself defending things you don't really care very much about at length.
Your minor outrage is noted, and discarded. Let's break that down. Really BigPapa, it seems to me you are implicitly saying two separate things: 1) Use of the "Aints" name is offensive to some Christians. 2) Atheists should not offend Christians.
The first is almost certainly true. Christers and being easily offended seem too often to go together like peanut butter and jelly. I think we can stipulate to that. The second part is where, I think, we need to do some hard thinking.

If atheists were to avoid offending all Christians, what would we have to do? It seems to me that we'd have to (depending upon the tastes of the Christians we were trying to appease) kill ourselves, convert to Christianity, be forever silent ("don't ask, don't tell"), or be lynched by a mob.

Compared to any of these, offending Christians looks like a positively wonderful and positive thing to do. But maybe that's just me.

Im only saying I really hate HOW they are going about the offending.

Also Mach, I have no issues with denial of their holiness/sanctity, just in the renaming. Should we be allowed to rent out St. Pauls cathedral and rename it "F$%# Catholicism!"

EDIT: Also I have several tattoos which might get me killed in Italy or Latin America, so I really have no problem offending Catholics in general.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 07/20/2012 05:06:08
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  06:53:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Also Mach, I have no issues with denial of their holiness/sanctity, just in the renaming. Should we be allowed to rent out St. Pauls cathedral and rename it "F$%# Catholicism!"
Please note that the renting out, in this case, is being done with the full cooperation of the owners of the venue. It is unlikely (to say the least) that the Vatican would rent out St. Paul's Cathedral in the first place, much less to a bunch of atheists whose stated intentions are to rename it as you suggest. So, apples and oranges.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  16:22:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoiler alert:

The Mr. Paul Aints lost.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  23:45:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Spoiler alert:

The Mr. Paul Aints lost.
So the whole plan went smoothly -- right up to the getting-smitten-by-God part.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.