Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  08:48:38  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They did it, and it is good.

When someone says something stupid that insults your intelligence (especially if it is anti-science), it is perfectly okay, for the next few weeks, to reply with "Mars Curiosity landed perfectly. Your argument is invalid."

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  10:14:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm speechless.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  10:57:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hear, hear!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  13:27:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the photo that Hal posted:

Mars orbiter catches pic of Curiosity on its way down!

Phil Plait:
The simple and sheer amazingness of this picture cannot be overstated. Here we have a picture taken by a camera on board a space probe that’s been orbiting Mars for six years, reset and re-aimed by programmers hundreds of millions of kilometers away using math and science pioneered centuries ago, so that it could catch the fleeting view of another machine we humans flung across space, traveling hundreds of million of kilometers to another world at mind-bending speeds, only to gently – and perfectly – touch down on the surface mere minutes later.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  16:03:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
VERY cool picture!

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  19:24:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's all very cool, and I am genuinely interested and impressed. But I just don't think it's worthwhile.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  19:59:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

It's all very cool, and I am genuinely interested and impressed. But I just don't think it's worthwhile.
Well I suppose it comes down to how much you value knowledge of Mars, our planet's history, the history of our solar system, life and that sort of thing. If that kind of knowledge isn't of much value to you, I'm glad that funding missions of this kind is not up to you.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  20:17:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IT has value, just not enough to justify the pricetag. Would you have made the call to fund it if the cost was 10x higher? Obviously everyone has a cutoff point, mine is just lower than yours.

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  21:02:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a cool animation on the "Seven minutes of terror" landing.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  22:11:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But I just don't think it's worthwhile.
How much money have you spent on your religion?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  22:23:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

But I just don't think it's worthwhile.
How much money have you spent on your religion?

Or time?

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  22:44:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
are you comparing the Mars curiosity Rover to a religion?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  04:04:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

are you comparing the Mars curiosity Rover to a religion?
Just the cost. I'm wondering how much you've personally spent on an activity that you obviously consider "worthwhile" and I don't. The Curiosity mission has cost about a dollar per person in the U.S. per tax year, overall. But my grandparents dumped about 2,600 times that much into their worthless religion, for example. Imagine all the knowledge we could gain if people funded science the way they fund religions...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  05:56:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes except there's an inherent difference between what people choose to spend their money on, and what money is taken from them by tax. Aren't you a libertarian?
Anyway, I don't see what my personal spending habits have to do with what American tax money gets spent on. Once again you seem to want to turn everything into a debate on religion when no one brought it up and it has nothing to do with the topic. Another sad attempt to be confrontational with me.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  07:42:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes except there's an inherent difference between what people choose to spend their money on, and what money is taken from them by tax.
In the U.S., taxes are money that We the People have collectively chosen to spend.
Aren't you a libertarian?
Why do you insist on insulting me?
Anyway, I don't see what my personal spending habits have to do with what American tax money gets spent on. Once again you seem to want to turn everything into a debate on religion when no one brought it up and it has nothing to do with the topic. Another sad attempt to be confrontational with me.
You're the one who decided to publicly opine upon the worthlessness of the Curiosity mission. So I opined back about the worthlessness of something you think is worthwhile, and now you're acting all butthurt.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  08:07:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The entire budget of NASA is less than half a percentage of the current federal budget. Yeah, I totally think this was worth it.

End the military industrial complex.

Tax the rich a lot more.

Spend more money on infrastructure and social service, and awesome stuff like NASA.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.