Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  17:06:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Full body apparitions should be visible on camera, because the camera register the same type of photons as the eye does. Just rig up a light-sensitive video recorder and set down the frame rate low enough to be able to get a 24hr recording non-stop, and save the video files on a hard drive or something. Sooner or later, you should get the apparition on video, and you can go from there.

Put darkening screens on the window so the different light conditions from outside can affect you recording. Like, if a car drives by the house, the head lights won't play tricks on the camera.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  17:15:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm
.yes but I am determined they are not conscious souls of dead people. They are left over energy, atoms...etc
Why one and not the other?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  17:33:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

.yes but I am determined they are not conscious souls of dead people. They are left over energy, atoms...etc
Because one sounds more "sciency" and untainted by the spirituality Storm rejects. Of course, from an actual scientific viewpoint, both hypotheses are equally nonsensical and unscientific. Good luck trying to get Storm to understand that, though. She likes to go to haunted houses and pretend she's doing science the way some children with Play-Doh like to pretend they are bakers.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/22/2012 17:36:12
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  20:01:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

They are left over energy, atoms...etc
Energy dissipates fast. A dead body's temperature, for example, will match that of the room it is in within 24 hours of death. Other types of energy will dissipate even faster. So if you want to talk about energy being responsible for ghosts, you'll have to propose some sort of storage mechanism that can maintain itself for hundreds of years while still obeying the laws of thermodynamics.

Atoms: there's nothing that can differentiate one carbon atom from another (assuming the same isotopes). Biologists estimate that every single atom in a living human body gets replaced every seven years (on average - skin gets replaced much faster than bone). In fact, household dust is mostly sloughed-off dead skin cells, since the time between a skin cell being "born" from stem cells deep in the dermis to when it gets shed is only 28 days (active psoriasis plaques cycle even faster). So if you want to talk about atoms being responsible for ghosts, you'll have to propose something that makes ghostly atoms different from non-ghostly atoms, or at least makes ghostly atoms different from the normal, non-ghostly bits of human body that float around all the time.

Really, Storm, if you want these "energy" or "atoms" ideas to be taken the least bit seriously, you'll need to become proficient enough in physics to offer testable hypotheses.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  05:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wow full body apparitions...I wish I could see them... No such luck. Even if I try to imagine it or even call on them through spellcasting.. Just does not happen to me. My sisiter still lives in the house where we grew up. As I have said before it was haunted
my sister has seen full body apparaitions. All in the same room as where I experienced auditory phenomena.

I am not asking anyone to do my homework for me, just looking for feed back. I am not a genius by any means...so I look for other peoples input. Somebody like yourself who has experienced such things should be more open to my suggestions or hypothesis. Not looking for points, goals posts.
Sure tragic and sad can at times be differentbut I am sure you get my meaning.

And your thoughts on your theatre hauntings. All in your Mind? You made it up?hallucinations. Perhaps you have the gift to see ghosts.

Indeteriminate. Investigation into such phenomenon was neither complete nor in some cases attempted. Any "thoughts" on the matter would be simple conjecture and have no bearing on reality.

I know what I experienced. I also know the criteria for empirical evidence. It is why I regard those experiences as suspect. No exhaustive investigation was done to exclude natural phenomenon.

Tragic and sad are always different. Not some times.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  14:37:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Originally posted by Hawks

Because one sounds more "sciency" and untainted by the spirituality Storm rejects. Of course, from an actual scientific viewpoint, both hypotheses are equally nonsensical and unscientific. Good luck trying to get Storm to understand that, though. She likes to go to haunted houses and pretend she's doing science the way some children with Play-Doh like to pretend they are bakers.

Yeah, considering that Storm has said:
I just love science and dogma together.

and, as far as I can see, seems to reject both science AND dogma, it seems that Storm "just loves".

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  07:07:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why on and not the other? Because in most of your haunting investigations you cannot communicate with the entity. it does not act conscious. Now if you want to say that does not mean they are not well maybe they are conscious souls in another dimension.

More prolific in physics...thats why have you guys. a storage mechanism... well I hypothesize its left over energy from when these people were alive...

Valiant you say just conjecture so its suspect... but yet you know what you saw... A Ghost.

Mabuse... a camera might work..people have taken pictures of so called ghosts..I have a great one...actually it looks like an alien... it was taken on one of those cameras where you were able to rip the strips out automatically. i will have to upload it one day. Do i think its a ghost? i do not know my son who is in the picture has a tendacy to see ghosts.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  07:37:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why on and not the other? Because in most of your haunting investigations you cannot communicate with the entity. it does not act conscious. Now if you want to say that does not mean they are not well maybe they are conscious souls in another dimension.

More prolific in physics...thats why have you guys. a storage mechanism... well I hypothesize its left over energy from when these people were alive...

Valiant you say just conjecture so its suspect... but yet you know what you saw... A Ghost.

Mabuse... a camera might work..people have taken pictures of so called ghosts..I have a great one...actually it looks like an alien... it was taken on one of those cameras where you were able to rip the strips out automatically. i will have to upload it one day. Do i think its a ghost? i do not know my son who is in the picture has a tendacy to see ghosts.

No. I know what I THINK I saw.

My perception does not change reality and the nature of empirical evidence.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  09:21:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

More prolific in physics...thats why have you guys.
Then you need to embrace our criticisms, not ignore them.
a storage mechanism... well I hypothesize...
No, you are guessing.[quote]...its left over energy from when these people were alive.../quote]And how is that energy failing to dissipate, like all other energy does? What is the storage mechanism that keeps the energy in its ghostly form? Where are the ghost batteries?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  05:09:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave thats what I am asking you guys or any type scientists where and how does the enrgy get stored... and then replayed so people throught sight, noise, smell.

Let us remember I am not talking of your 19th century sitttings with horns flying around and table tipping and ecto plasma from old ladys vaginal area. Wrack your scientific brains...think..outside the box for just a moment...

Well Valiant what do you know it was... A ghost...conjecture or not what is your definition of a ghost or of the phenomena you experienced? Off the record.

guessing or suggesting possibilities is a start to hypothesis..you cannot tell me it is not...
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  09:07:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
guessing or suggesting possibilities is a start to hypothesis..you cannot tell me it is not...
But what you are suggesting is not possible according the laws of physics as they are understood. What you are suggesting violates the laws of physics. That's why is not a serious possibility. It's an appeal to magic, where the laws of physics no longer apply. Your suggestion is not science, it's science fiction.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/25/2012 09:36:08
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  10:47:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
H. Come on...remember Star trek..look they used to talk on these funny walkie talkies..now we have cell phones...we are building a space station..science fiction can come true. Looked what they believed thousands of years ago and look what we have discovered now. Science Fiction..Sure..for now. Remember laws of physics as we know now.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  11:04:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

H. Come on...remember Star trek..look they used to talk on these funny walkie talkies..now we have cell phones...we are building a space station..science fiction can come true. Looked what they believed thousands of years ago and look what we have discovered now. Science Fiction..Sure..for now. Remember laws of physics as we know now.
There have always been things that science fiction predicted that came true. But none of those things brake any laws of physics. You could look at a communicator on Star Trek and easily invision that as something that would be possible to do and likely to happen. Same with their talking computer and other things. There's a whole book about stuff that science fiction predicted. But there are also things that are used to make for a good story but defy physical laws. They are never likely to exist because they can't exist. Not a single one of the things that science fiction predicted and has come to us wasn't physically possible to begin with. Nobody said that communicators (cell phones) are not possible. The physics behind them are completely consistant with physical laws. What you propose, Storm, isn't.

10 Myths About Space Travel That Make Science Fiction Better

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  11:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The difference is those things did not violate the laws of physics. Your hypothesis does. You are comparing things that are not alike.

Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  12:22:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What specific laws am I violating and why?

According to the law of conservation of energy, the total energy of a system remains constant, though energy may transform into another form. Two billiard balls colliding, for example, may come to rest, with the resulting energy becoming sound and perhaps a bit of heat at the point of collision.

Perhaps if we replace the billard balls with a tragic or sad situation the energy from the troubled event gets transformed into ghostly phenomena. now the billiard balls energy will not last long the sound the heat..but perhaps somehow the ghosts stay in the environment.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.