Religion
 Jack Chick on the Salem Witch Trials
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  19:44:15  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh boy.

Hat Tip to Abdul Alhazred (who usually does these style of reviews) here.

So let's see:

He's saying that

1) modern day real witches are taking advantage of a scare set up by fake witches in the 1600's. Think of it! The witch scare back 300 years ago was totally fake, but witches do exist in real life today! Trying to come across as reasonable and against the paranoia of the 1600's but still trying to fan the flames of modern day paranoia now.

Talk about having trying to have one's cake and eat it too. As a subset of this situation, note how the girls get into contact with demons in order to learn how to apparently fake signs of demonic activity. Wait, what? (shit, that gives a negative square root number value out of 10 for the old irony ratings right there!) We'd need a that as a new Irony section for this strip right here.

That's the purpose of this whole booklet it seems. Look at that very first panel.

2) for once (that I know of) he's tempering the usage of the OT by passages from the NT, never mind that in most of his works the OT is used to roundly condemn people like homosexuals or even modern-day "witches" (even if he didn't go for the penalties described by the OT in those other works)...just so that he can pawn off the old "misuse of the scriptures" excuse to try to clear the names of xian extremists from the past.

3) Note the angels "recording" the conversation that those "evil brat" girls were having (why use human equipment? Don't they have anything of their own?) do absolutely nothing to stop the chaos that's going on around them. You'd think that a few messengers from god would straighten the whole thing out.

Nope. They don't help out at all. I guess they didn't have any "good samaritan" laws back then. In my eyes, that makes them almost as guilty as the girls themselves.

4) the devil actually left europe for two whole years just to try to wipe out the Puritans in the States...

Well, for a more "rational" take on the European and new world witch hunts, see here.
A zero really for humour as this book was not really funny at all. (except for that witch riding her broomstick at the end). Doesn't that guy know what that old myth means?

Irony Index: 12 out of 10
Crazyness Index: I'd give it a good 9 out of 10 as this is definitely crazy, but some of that got used up in the Irony index. Otherwise, it'd have broken this index!

Dr. No face did make an appearance here so that also helps.

I'd have added pictures for illustrative and mocking purposes but I didn't want to waste too much time on this.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 09/01/2012 21:20:27

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  00:25:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Makes sense. If the devil used real demonic techniques it would strengthen their faith. But by using subversion he was able to almost destroy this community.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  06:03:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Makes sense. If the devil used real demonic techniques it would strengthen their faith. But by using subversion he was able to almost destroy this community.

Except, modern witches mostly discount the burning times as inefficient and generally targeted against the unpopular, foreign, or when great profit was to be had. 30,000 in Europe and a couple dozen in the states were accused of witchcraft. A great majority of those were Christians. The focus is on the histeria over witchcraft and the condemnation of the "burning times" in general. Very few in this number were actual followers of a Pagan religion. Only one of the Salem witches was a herbalist which only makes her a possible candidate. It is generally accepted by the Neo-pagan movement that the Salem witch histeria was the result of Ergot posioning.

We usually point out Halloween was a made up holiday dating back to the early 1900's. Samhain does go back further and is celebrated by witches but that isn't what fundies rave on about.

The 1486 Maleus Malficarium (Hammer of Witches) did much to fan this histeria. Guttenberg's invention was misused to spread lies (which, by the way, is where the Puritans got the idea of the "witches mark" and "witch tester" equipment used during the Salem witch trials)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  09:18:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh! Oooh! I gotta think about doing a parody.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  09:56:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Except, modern witches mostly discount the burning times as inefficient and generally targeted against the unpopular, foreign, or when great profit was to be had. 30,000 in Europe and a couple dozen in the states were accused of witchcraft. A great majority of those were Christians. The focus is on the histeria over witchcraft and the condemnation of the "burning times" in general. Very few in this number were actual followers of a Pagan religion. Only one of the Salem witches was a herbalist which only makes her a possible candidate. It is generally accepted by the Neo-pagan movement that the Salem witch histeria was the result of Ergot posioning.

We usually point out Halloween was a made up holiday dating back to the early 1900's. Samhain does go back further and is celebrated by witches but that isn't what fundies rave on about.

The 1486 Maleus Malficarium (Hammer of Witches) did much to fan this histeria. Guttenberg's invention was misused to spread lies (which, by the way, is where the Puritans got the idea of the "witches mark" and "witch tester" equipment used during the Salem witch trials)

Except that? Modern witches opinions on the matter really don't detract from the negative effects on the puritanical community. The fact that none of them were genuinely witches doesn't contradict the tract in any way.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  10:02:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Except that? Modern witches opinions on the matter really don't detract from the negative effects on the puritanical community. The fact that none of them were genuinely witches doesn't contradict the tract in any way.

Did you miss the part in the beginning where Jackie-boy claims modern witches are using this as an attack on Christianity?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.