Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  09:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A thread for general election chit-chat and links.

Big Bird in the News

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  05:08:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From America's Finest New Source, The Onion.
“It’s a freeing strategy, really, because I don’t have to worry about facts or being accurate or having any concrete positions of any kind,” Romney added.

I sent this to my nephew. He read it during lunch. He claimed it was not a pretty sight.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  09:18:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Romney lives to give Americans the Big Bird, all the way to the bank. He may get his wish too. Americans are that gullible to let him.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  09:23:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one thing I'm watching is the California 'just label it' initiative, Prop 37.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  15:22:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy crap! It appears that I got mine attitude is systemic within the GOP. Especially with old rich white guys.

Fuck the employees.
Siegel stressed that he wasn't out to intimidate his workers into voting for Romney. "I can't tell anyone to vote," he said.
Bullshit.
But he wants to make sure his workers made an informed choice. "I want my employees to be educated on what could happen to their future if the wrong person is elected."
This is a threat.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  09:29:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, as Carlin said "We don't have a choice, we only have the illusion of choice". I can see where that applies to more than in the political arena too. Let's face it anyone who has a clue should be able figure it out, if they take the time needed.

Some examples.

While on the campaign trail in 2007, Barack Obama promised that if he became President he would immediately implement labeling of GMO foods. Now on the face it with his very specific campaign promise one is lead to believe that as President he would have done this by now. However nearly 4 years later all we got is his broken promise on this topic. Apparently "immediately" has a different meaning to him than to Mr. Webster. While he hasn't found the time in 4 years to keep that promise in 2009 President Obama appointed Michael Taylor as a senior adviser for the FDA. A position known as the "US Food Czar". Taylor had formerly served as a vice president for Monsanto, the agricultural multinational company up to their ears deep in profits from the genetically modified food products. Monsanto owns the company Searle, who makes 'Aspartame' with over a Billion dollars a year in sales. Aspartame is just one GMO product under Monsanto's umbrella.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have been rendered impotent long before Obama became president. Our heath and safety is not being safeguarded by the agencies created to protect them. The US Government does not serve the citizens, it's serves others more powerful than those who supposedly vote. The evidence is there for anyone willing and interested enough to give up their episodes of "America's Got Talent", "Ancient Aliens", and/or don't accept what is spoon feed to them on the corporate owned news outlets. The evidence is overwhelmingly there, absolutely for those who wish to see it.

edit
IMO

Edited by - sailingsoul on 10/12/2012 07:15:06
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  09:20:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert, recently declared that President Obama has committed a "firing offense" by sending somebody to jail for political reasons.

Scott Adams Blog
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  09:47:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Adams' evidence that Obama did so? An argument from ignorance: "What other reason could there be?" The implication really does seem to be that the motivation for presidents to enforce the law is so that they'll get re-elected.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  11:56:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adams goes from "What if Obama were guilty of murder?" to "What if a man went to jail for drug offenses committed during Obama's term in office?" and somehow presents these scenarios as morally equivalent. And of course anyone who notices this is wildly illogical is dismissed by Adams as somehow missing his point.

But it's okay because Adams is only interested in discussing things with "rational" people, a group which he presumably considers himself a member of.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  12:13:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adams seems to be interested mostly in trolling newsy websites.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  12:34:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I find hilarious is that Adams ends up endorsing Romney while admitting that Romney hasn't given any indication that his drug policies would be any different. His reasoning? Romney is more unprincipled than Obama and may just be lying for votes:

Romney is likely to continue the same drug policies as the Obama administration. But he's enough of a chameleon and a pragmatist that one can't be sure.
Yes, Romney is such a "pragmatist" that we can't be sure he really supports the positions he claims to support, therefore he would make a superior Commander in Chief.

Sounds rational to me.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/23/2012 12:37:07
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  12:49:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off it has not been established that "Obama" sent "somebody to jail for political reasons". Presidents don't send people to prison, the Courts and Judges do.

I think one should be cautious when a "hypothetical situation" is used to establish the boundaries or basis to judging actions of anyone. Why can't this be discussed without injection of a fantastical made up premise before any topic is presented or discussed?

As presented, Obama is accused of having personally been involved in this solely for "political reasons". Like this specific case was something he had time for personally as President. I would think "The President of the USA" has a whole lot that is more important than something as this mundane as this violation of federal law.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  18:00:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Five robocalls left in my voice mail, plus one that I was here to answer, just today, and just from the Republicans. This has become typical. The last Democratic robocall I am aware of was two days ago. I hang up on or delete them all as soon as I figure out what they are.

So this is what living in a "battleground state" is like...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  18:19:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Five robocalls left in my voice mail, plus one that I was here to answer, just today, and just from the Republicans. This has become typical. The last Democratic robocall I am aware of was two days ago. I hang up on or delete them all as soon as I figure out what they are.

So this is what living in a "battleground state" is like...
Nate Silver says there's a 65% chance that VA is going to Obama. Not bad, but in the grand scheme of the Electoral College, there may be bigger fish to fry, e.g. Ohio. Of course, Silver is saying Ohio is 81% likely to go to Obama, so what do I know?

Overall, I'm slightly optimistic for a Dem win-- I'm not such a huge Obama fan, but the Plutocratic alternative sounds dreadful. My vote won't go far in CA, but it's worth casting anyhow.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  09:36:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read some off-hand remarks like "Romney can't win without Ohio," but haven't read any analysis or done the math myself.

Against the pattern I described above, the first political call to my home today was from a real-live human working for Obama. Huh.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  13:11:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check this out. Beside's it being really cool, it's also gives me some hope.

512 Paths to the White House

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.