Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  05:28:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

[quote]Seriously (again): the "critical mass" is 50% plus one. The idea that gays should be treated equally has been slowly gaining in popularity over the last 30+ years. This year, it finally passed parity.
I do think there is some kind of "effect" when people suddenly realize that an idea is becoming accepted. It's not like the mystical (and wholly discredited) "Hundredth Monkey" bullshit, but simply the way people behave in society. (Perhaps a realization that their former thinking now runs counter to accepted thinking?) However it works, result is that slow change becomes very much faster all of a sudden. Yeah 50% is the important tipping point (at least among voters) for elections, but I think the point where things begin rapid change is below that mark, and is probably fueled in part by perceived social momentum toward the change.

(Then, after the change, the majority of people will probably fondly "remember" that they had always been in favor of the new societal standard.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  11:47:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you think the fallout will be with the marijuana "legalization" in Colorado and Washington? The feds, at least nominally, say the states have no right to make it legal due to the federal law against it and so it's not really legal. I suppose states choosing not to enforce federal laws would not at all be looked upon favorably.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 11/08/2012 11:47:55
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  12:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

What do you think the fallout will be with the marijuana "legalization" in Colorado and Washington? The feds, at least nominally, say the states have no right to make it legal due to the federal law against it and so it's not really legal. I suppose states choosing not to enforce federal laws would not at all be looked upon favorably.
As far as I know, the states don't have to enforce federal law. I think they're actually not supposed to! (Jurisdiction concerns...the feds can request local support, though)

The problem comes in where the DEA or FBI busts somebody for doing something that's perfectly legal according to his state (we've seen that a couple times with medical MJ in California).
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  16:29:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm as happy as the rest maybe more so based on my lack confidence in our voting system. Let's face it people with heavy leanings or not are in control and running the whole process, whether they are democrats or repubs. It's like having NFL coaches being part owner of the team they referee. Long lines and ID requirements to name just two are some of the scores of ways to affect or reduce vote totals in strong precincts. That said my phobia is a bit reduced by the results across the board.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 11/08/2012 17:02:49
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  17:00:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Originally posted by Machi4velli

As far as I know, the states don't have to enforce federal law. I think they're actually not supposed to! (Jurisdiction concerns...the feds can request local support, though)

The problem comes in where the DEA or FBI busts somebody for doing something that's perfectly legal according to his state (we've seen that a couple times with medical MJ in California).
The federal enforcement Cops, in theory, only come into play when such activities cross the boarders under the interstate commerce laws. As far as I know, the feds do not have the power to interfere with matters that involves activities exclusively in one state. To do so would I think violate a states sovereignty which they sill do have, last I heard. The topic is a sticky wicket thaaats fer sure. Time will tell if they will interfere with activities that occur within a state exclusively. That was the argument I heard a talking head give today. Time will tell on this one.

True story according to who told me. I talked to a guy here who owns 20 acres in N. California. His neighbor is licensed to grow no more than 99 plants at one time. The feds raided the neighbor. He was growing more that 99 plants. They pulled up all his plants and hustled him and all his plants off to the local sheriff. He was back in 3 hours. When he asked his neighbor what happened, he said "once the fed's were gone, the sheriff kept all the plants and let him go saying, don't do that again".

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  19:01:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, surely feds can enforce federal laws not involving interstate commerce. I suppose a court decision could rule the federal law unconstitutional by overstepping state sovereignty. Surely the "strict constructionists" would agree on this one, right?

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  20:07:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So just who really won in that election? It seems that secular values may be on the rise.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  22:03:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

So just who really won in that election? It seems that secular values may be on the rise.
I think Greta Christina nailed it.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  12:04:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome Daily Show clips.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  12:33:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Awesome Daily Show clips.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  15:06:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All Over Except for the Pouting

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  23:50:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
James Carville and Rebecca Buckwalter-Poza have an analysis of the election, "Carville: GOP routed by reality":
. . .

After the midterm elections in 2010, we were mocked viciously. Our thesis was laughable, Republicans hooted, ignoring the book's careful caveat that midterm election turnout differs substantially from that of presidential elections.

We would like to direct these critics to the Epistle of Jude, 1:10: "Yet these men speak abusively against whatever they do not understand; and what things they do understand by instinct, like unreasoning animals—these are the very things that destroy them."

Tuesday night proved our 2009 selves could not have been more right. "Mid-20th century, white men made up half of the electorate," we wrote in 2009. "In 2008, white men made up only 36% of the electorate ... and their vote share is dropping by a percentage point a year."

Our only error was in slightly underestimating the rate at which white men's vote share is shrinking. White voters were 74% of voters in 2008; they were 72% this year. White men comprised just 34% of the electorate on Tuesday.

In 2009, we also commented on the Republicans' reliance on the far right and evangelical voters: "The shrinking Christian right leaves a void in the Republicans' collection of base groups—and they can't look to any growing groups to replace those votes."

. . .
I suspect that the reaction among the GOP/Neocon/Teabagger losers now that they are seeing that they were democratically defeated, will largely be to harden their xenophobic feelings, and, while accepting that demographics will likely never again give their radical politics control of this nation as a whole, they will attempt to increase racist, anti-feminist, elitist, anti-science and theocratic efforts in rural and southern states, counties and towns. Many of these people have already declared the end of the United States, and are arming themselves. They will likely never again be trusted by the majority to act as good citizens.

Go to Top of Page

JonesGaron

USA
1 Post

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  23:36:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JonesGaron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by H. Humbert

. . .

I have another theory on why Romney lost. You could see in on every Republican face that crowded the hall to support him. They were almost entirely white. When the news put up side-by-side shots of the two rallies, the total lack of Republican diversity was starkly evident. And that's what sunk them.
Agreed!

Nope I am not satisfied with your answer.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  07:09:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JonesGaron

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by H. Humbert

. . .

I have another theory on why Romney lost. You could see in on every Republican face that crowded the hall to support him. They were almost entirely white. When the news put up side-by-side shots of the two rallies, the total lack of Republican diversity was starkly evident. And that's what sunk them.
Agreed!

I do so hope that you are here to add to discussions, not just meet the posting requirements to spam us with koolchart adverts.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  09:54:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JonesGaron

If that's all your going to say, why did you bother to sign up?

Have a happy life!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.